Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at the Toyo Tec lifts and they look like a good unit and they are relatively inexpensive. Here are the $1M questions: since I drive 30-40K miles per year, I want no additional maintenance such as whacked U joints, and no worse ride since I basically live in the thing most of the time. I just put on a LEER 100R cap and now it looks like an old mans truck....well not really, but kinda. I told my wife that 2-3" of lift would make it look better...wink, wink, nudge nudge, and she is agreeing.....wow! I cannot have this truck down for repairs because it's used for work, if it's broke, I can't work....now what? After all, it already doesn't fit in the garage.....

Your expert opinion would be appreciated!

·
Master Slouch
2006 Toyota Tacoma
351 Posts
In my experience, the basic 3" lifts aren't going to affect your reliability. Ride will be a little stiffer, but not a lot worse.

It's the larger tires that can really affect things. Larger tires can throw off the speedo and the odometer. It also takes a lot of horsepower to crank the larger tires, too. Both of these disadvantages nearly disappear if you swap out the differential gears.

But damn! Tacomas look awfully good lifted. As soon as my kids get a litltle older, my Tacoma is going up in elevation.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Toytec is great IMHO! But for the best ride quality DR's is the way to go.
But with that said?
If you are planning on lifting your truck 3" you need to look into a set of UCA's also! I recomend Total Chaos, but there are other options out there!
This is the only way to get your alignment correct after a 3" lift.
Depending if you have a DBL cab, or a prerunner? The ToyTec 885's are great for Dbl. cabs, while the ride would be better for the prerunner with the 884's from Toytec.
The lowest cost would be spacers! But for a little more money you can get a nice set of coils.
the OME coils with AAls from Toytec will run you $289.98 + s/h a set of UCA's from Wheelersoffroad.com will run $569.00
So just for the lift done right you are looking at $858.98 This does not include install? If you do it your self should take you a few hours.
If you decide to go with the DR's then just the struts will run you $1050.00 from Wheelers. and you would still need a rear lift and UCA's.:dunno:
If you give us more info it would help?
Type of truck you have? 4x4, 4x2, prerunner, reg cab, Etc......
Oh and Budget!!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Toytec is great IMHO! But for the best ride quality DR's is the way to go.
But with that said?
If you are planning on lifting your truck 3" you need to look into a set of UCA's also! I recomend Total Chaos, but there are other options out there!
This is the only way to get your alignment correct after a 3" lift.
Depending if you have a DBL cab, or a prerunner? The ToyTec 885's are great for Dbl. cabs, while the ride would be better for the prerunner with the 884's from Toytec.
The lowest cost would be spacers! But for a little more money you can get a nice set of coils.
the OME coils with AAls from Toytec will run you $289.98 + s/h a set of UCA's from Wheelersoffroad.com will run $569.00
So just for the lift done right you are looking at $858.98 This does not include install? If you do it your self should take you a few hours.
If you decide to go with the DR's then just the struts will run you $1050.00 from Wheelers. and you would still need a rear lift and UCA's.:dunno:
If you give us more info it would help?
Type of truck you have? 4x4, 4x2, prerunner, reg cab, Etc......
Oh and Budget!!

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from what I am hearing, 2" would keep me in a Toyotec and in a whole lot cheaper price range??? I can swollow the cost of what I saw in a Toyotec, but when you're talking $800 plus for a work truck that never gets seriously off road, that's getting out of the range of what will fly.

I am also going to have trouble getting in and out of a parking garage too, especially with a cap on the back. I do not plan to deviate from my stock tires, at least for now, so maybe 2" is the way to go??

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
Just order yourself a Toytec 3" OME lift, you don't really need the UCAs.

If you feel like you need them, you can get them later no problem!

There are PLENTY of trucks out there that are lifted and are fine without them.

$289 for the lift + labor. It should not be that much for you.

Save your money if you want to do a 2" lift, it will look WEAK.

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
+1 for toytec. When I installed the Toytec myself, I was aligned perfectly (by firestone, WOW). I can let go of the wheel and it drives perfectly straight.

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
OneMnk said:
+1 for toytec. When I installed the Toytec myself, I was aligned perfectly (by firestone, WOW). I can let go of the wheel and it drives perfectly straight.
Yes even when my alignment was totally wacked my truck still drove straight. That was not the problem.
The problem was when I drove about 65 mph+ and tried to change lanes.LOL!!
Try that? at lets say 75 mph while over taking another car? Then the fun really begins!!LOL!!:lol: My wife was afraid to drive my truck! (Which wasn't really a bad thing?:dunno: :lol: )

But YES! NorCal and OneMnk are right you don't need the UCA's. The truck will basically align correctly for the most part.
I have a 6 yr. old son that's why I needed to make my truck as safe as I could possibly get it! And the UCA's were the only way to do it correctly.
And since I did not know what your budget was I gave you the best way to do it?

·
My name is Blake
Toyota Tacoma
4,913 Posts
^ For sure man.

If I really used my truck a lot on the highway and off-road, the UCAs would be on there for sure.

On the highway, the truck feels unstable sometimes after the lift and larger tires. UCAs would correct that ASAP.

If you are on a tight budget, make sure you take the truck to the best alignment shop around. That will help a lot while you save up the extra $$$ for the UCAs.

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
Ill have to check the highways. It does seem my truck likes to follow groves and imperfections on the freeway. Do UCAs really help with this?

·
And My Dog Remington
725 Posts
toku58 said:
I have a 6 yr. old son that's why I needed to make my truck as safe as I could possibly get it! And the UCA's were the only way to do it correctly.
And since I did not know what your budget was I gave you the best way to do it?
:thumbsup:

Toku - keep on posting... i am eating it up! I will soon be in the same boat as you and i appreciate the detail in which you describe your mods! It helps us out a lot. Seems as though this forum has moved on in the right direction. Safety should be everyones concern when it comes to moding a vehicle (Huge point my friend!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ). Thanks again.

·
Registered
'06 Tacoma
370 Posts
Honestly, I don't think you should lift your truck if your going to stay with stock size tires. I think it will look worse lifted w/ stock tires than you think it does now. If you are going to lift it, I would do it right the first time, so just hold off and save up (you have to decide what is the "right way"- ucas or whatever). Why not try putting on a slightly larger tire to see if you get rid of the "grandpa" look? Just my opinion.:D

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I have the toytec 3" spacer lift. $200 shipped, free install as I did it myself in about 5 hours. that being said, the OME coil set would probably be better. My ride was a little stiff, but switching from stock tires to 285/75 16's softened it up a bit! First couple of days it felt like I was floating on air until I got used to the new ride.

As for UCAs, as has been mentioned above they are not NEEDED for alignment. Toku mentions highway lane changes being a problem. I'm one of those bob-n-weave guys that'll work my way through traffic if people aren't doing 70+ and getting out of the left lane. Absolutely no problems with that. Handles better than my car even with the 3" lift.

Yes, you lose a little bit of torque with the bigger tires. I seem to be getting it back though. Maybe it's just the cold weather, but I'm able to stay in 6th when I normally shifted to 5th or even 4th on hills along my work commute. I also have 25k+ on it now with about 10-15k of that on the bigger tires so the ECU could be compensating a little now.

·
Official Newb
2006 4x4 Tacoma TRD
1,210 Posts
i highly recommend the 884 coils from ome and not the 885's. unless you are adding a heavy bumber, etc to the front. i have the 884 on my DC and the ride certainly isn't too soft or spongy. and i can't remember where, but i read that is now the official recommendation, to use the 884's and not the 885's, even on the DC's, unless you are adding a bumper or winch.

i don't have uca's on my truck, but it drives just fine with the toytec lift. whether i'm on the interstate or out wheeling. i drove from tucson to phoenix last night along I-10, and a couple times i got up over 90, and changing lanes to pass vehicles, and there was no drift or feeling unstable. but it may be my shop did a better job with the alignment or my truck allows for just a little more adjustment then some others to make the difference

·
Hey There...
05' Prerunner Taco
920 Posts
^^ That was the original case. But now the 884s are recommended for the prerunners and 885s for the DC because of sagging. I have had mine on for 4 months now and I can notice saggying with a little offroading. Although 885s are stiffer they should be more outlasting to the sagging issue.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
NorCalTacoma said:
Just order yourself a Toytec 3" OME lift, you don't really need the UCAs.

If you feel like you need them, you can get them later no problem!

There are PLENTY of trucks out there that are lifted and are fine without them.

$289 for the lift + labor. It should not be that much for you.

Save your money if you want to do a 2" lift, it will look WEAK.
Hmmm...I think my 2" lift looks pretty good :)

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
Nicky9 said:
:thumbsup:

Toku - keep on posting... i am eating it up! I will soon be in the same boat as you and i appreciate the detail in which you describe your mods! It helps us out a lot. Seems as though this forum has moved on in the right direction. Safety should be everyones concern when it comes to moding a vehicle (Huge point my friend!:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ). Thanks again.
Thanks!! I try my best to help anyone who is willing to ask? I know I really appreciate it when I have issues!

As for the UCA's not being needed?? Like I stated before they are not needed but it will make you truck safer!
This is not my opinion! This is a proven FACT!
So anyone who says there truck doesn't feel unstable?:dunno: Just doesn't know how good their truck could feel if done right?
I understand about the cost? It is expensive just to get a few degrees of caster back.
But for the safety of my family I couldn't see NOT making my truck as safe as possible.
So I am not trying to argue or to put down anyone without the UCA's!
Hey I think everyone's truck looks Awesome!!:thumbup: :thumbup:
But I would feel bad if something bad, did happen to someone here? When I could have said something to help prevent that!

Be safe guys!! Your family is worth more than $500 bucks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts