Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is for you guys that own 03-05 Corollas w/ automatics! Do you get good acceleration when you are getting onto the highway and you need to pick up speed to merge into traffic? Im just asking becuase I drive a 2000 Ford Focus SE and it lacks that extra power I think the corollas have!:( My friend drives a 03 corolla but she dosn't know anything about cars so I dont even ask her, but when we are out driving I can never keep up with her!

Why does the corolla out power my focus?
I have the zetec engine 130hp/135 tq:D
My friends 03 corolla w/ vvt engine 130hp/125tq:confused:

·
camrys blow off too!
06 subaru wrx wagon
554 Posts
weight makes a huge difference...

plus the focus torque band is way up high... and the toyota makes its grunt kinda low in the rpm band.

·
Registered
304 Posts
135 is what the engine pumps out, that is not what you see at the wheels.

If you are more heavy and have more losses than a corolla, it will beat you

·
Registered
102 Posts
It is the vvti that makes a big difference in the Corolla!

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
dougone said:
It is the vvti that makes a big difference in the Corolla!
It doesn't make a big difference in PEAK power, but it smooths out the power delivery and helps you get good gas mileage, and then when you rev it advances the timing to get a few more ponies up top.

·
Guitars and Cars
2001 Corolla S
3,350 Posts
I looked up the 2000 Ford Focus SE on msn autos and it says it makes 110HP at 5,000RPMs and 125 lb-ft of Tq at 3,750RPMs.

Only the ZX3 and ZTS have 130HP/135Tq

Oh and the Focus weighs just about the same as the Corolla

·
Registered
1996 Corolla
40 Posts
we have both a corolla and a focus SE. corolla is a 96, and ford is a 2002. i love driving the corolla a lot moree. the ford has better torque, but corolla picks up faster i guess. its so much smoother tooo! and its 6 years older than the ford. =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris Corolla S said:
I looked up the 2000 Ford Focus SE on msn autos and it says it makes 110HP at 5,000RPMs and 125 lb-ft of Tq at 3,750RPMs.

Only the ZX3 and ZTS have 130HP/135Tq

Oh and the Focus weighs just about the same as the Corolla
The Focus LX has the 110hp Spi engine and in some states the Focus SE has the zetec engine, the same engine as the ZX3 and ZTS! I have the Zetec engine under the hood and I see it all the time. Yeah the Spi engine im sure is weak but I have the zetec w/ 130 hp and it's a bad car, I was just asking why the corolla revs much stronger then the Focus!:)

Oh! and thanks guys for all you good comments I appreciate your help:thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dbellemafia said:
The Focus LX has the 110hp Spi engine and in some states the Focus SE has the zetec engine, the same engine as the ZX3 and ZTS! I have the Zetec engine under the hood and I see it all the time. Yeah the Spi engine im sure is weak but I have the zetec w/ 130 hp and it's a pretty nice car, I was just asking why the corolla revs much stronger then the Focus!:)

Oh! and thanks guys for all you good comments I appreciate your help:thumbup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
focus zx3 feels much much much faster than rolla.
the streering wheel felt sporty and so are the seats. no love for domestics, but focus earned some points from me in these areas.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
i guess you've never driven an S, then? the leather wheel's pretty sporty to me.

i, too, have driven both a Focus and a Corolla back to back...and although i have love for the domestic company's ability to retain horsepower and torque in MOST of their engines, the Focus disappointed me. hell, i'm happier with my 13-yr-old Z24 over that ... thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
info from car-stats.com

2003 focus SE (Manual Transmission)
0-60: 9.6
1/4 Mile: 17.3
1/4 Speed: 80

2003 Corolla S (Manual Transmission)
0-60: 8.3
1/4 Mile: 16.1
1/4 Speed: 88

take 1 sec off from the corolla's 0-60 time.. you get automatic time

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
2,727 Posts
tell the europeans who love the car that it's a POS...and the folks who have their foci running faster than most corollas can dream of running...

·
Registered
9 Posts
falnfenix said:
i guess you've never driven an S, then? the leather wheel's pretty sporty to me.

i, too, have driven both a Focus and a Corolla back to back...and although i have love for the domestic company's ability to retain horsepower and torque in MOST of their engines, the Focus disappointed me. hell, i'm happier with my 13-yr-old Z24 over that ... thing.
correct.
looking forward to try a roll S. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only way a stock focus will beat a corolla that I can think of are the new focus SVT's. Think they have 170 horsies stock compared to a corollas 130 ish. but thats just my opinion, the only competition I got at school are Vettes and V6 stangs :disappoin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts