Check out this DIY on how to change over to the 2016 oil filter setup:

http://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/armstrong-racing

Conversion part numbers:

Bracket - 15609-0T060
O-rings - 96723-24020
Union - 90904-04006
Filter - 90915-YZZF2

Oil cooler parts:

1) Thermostatic oil sandwich plate (185)/$165 - https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-thermostatic-oil-sandwich-plate.html

2) 10 row oil cooler/$125 - https://www.mishimoto.com/10-row-oil-cooler.html

3) (2)Sandwich plate fittings/$24 - https://www.mishimoto.com/sandwich-plate-fitting-m20-x-10an.html

4) Sandwich plate adapter for Toyota/$22 - https://www.mishimoto.com/stainless-steel-sandwich-plate-adapter-3-4-16unf.html

5) (2)5ft stainless steel braided hoses/$180 - https://www.mishimoto.com/5ft-stainless-steel-braided-hose-w-10an-fittings.html

Of course you may be able to find oil cooler lines and fittings cheaper elsewhere, but at least now you have an idea whats needed.

·
uh..no, it's not a hybrid
3,486 Posts
"The 09-15' Toyota Corolla, Prius, Scion Xd and iM, have this oil filter cartridge that requires a special tool to access. Its not really a big deal to work with and the filters are cheaper, but if you are like me and your 2ZR is exposed to regular autocross and track racing...this conversion may be for you."

...otherwise there is no point to doing this mod...at all. :wink:

·
10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,401 Posts
You're writeup just reminded me about the oil filter changes for the 2016 Corolla. I was meaning to add this info to the 11th gen general info sticky thread but I forgot until now so thanks. I'll also be adding this thread to the 11th gen DIY thread as well as the soon to be revamped 10th gen DIY thread. :thumbsup:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
Check out this diy on how to change over to the 2016 oil filter setup

http://www.armstrongfamilyblog.com/armstrong-racing
I love this idea since I'm in the process of turbocharging my '09 Corolla S and having the ability to add an oil cooler would be very nice. I would love to do this all at once so can you list the parts that would be needed for making up a complete kit for the 10th Gen Corolla? I clicked on the links for oil coolers but it went to a different sandwich plate from the sandwich plate link. Which would you recommend and why? What oil cooler would fit best and the lines. If you could list the parts for a complete Corolla kit that would be a huge help to those of us that want to do this.

Thanks for the information and :welcome: to TN!! :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
"The 09-15' Toyota Corolla, Prius, Scion Xd and iM, have this oil filter cartridge that requires a special tool to access. Its not really a big deal to work with and the filters are cheaper, but if you are like me and your 2ZR is exposed to regular autocross and track racing...this conversion may be for you."

...otherwise there is no point to doing this mod...at all. :wink:
For many people it won't be necessary but it's great information since there was no good way to add an oil cooler with our oil filter set up. I'm always happy to see new ideas and possibilities for our Corollas!

Reactions: SupremeCorolla451

·
NOOB
07' Yaris
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...I clicked on the links for oil coolers but it went to a different sandwich plate from the sandwich plate link. Which would you recommend and why? What oil cooler would fit best and the lines. If you could list the parts for a complete Corolla kit that would be a huge help to those of us that want to do this.
1) There are no complete oil cooler kits for our cars, thats why the link takes you to the thermostatic adapter. That is the exact part Im running now, I can do another write-up on building a kit if thats helpful.

2) Today I will be updating the blog with part numbers, since Ive already received a couple order requests. Im sponsored by Toyota so I get wholesale price, it ends up being $96 for everything to convert.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
1) There are no complete oil cooler kits for our cars, thats why the link takes you to the thermostatic adapter. That is the exact part Im running now, I can do another write-up on building a kit if thats helpful.

2) Today I will be updating the blog with part numbers, since Ive already received a couple order requests. Im sponsored by Toyota so I get wholesale price, it ends up being $96 for everything to convert.
So what is the difference between the thermostatic adapter and the standard adapter on the links? What is the advantage of the thermostatic since it costs $160 compared to $70 for the standard sandwich plate?

I went to the Toyota dealer today and ordered the parts for under $90 too! It helps have a friend at the dealer! was expecting it to be more but this will allow me to add an oil cooler. What oil cooler do you recommend for the Corolla? This would be great is you could "create" a kit that would work by listing all the parts needed from Toyota and the oil cooler parts. Listing them on this thread would be great too as they can then be "stickied" by a mod for others.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,975 Posts
You're writeup just reminded me about the oil filter changes for the 2016 Corolla. I was meaning to add this info to the 11th gen general info sticky thread but I forgot until now so thanks. I'll also be adding this thread to the 11th gen DIY thread as well as the soon to be revamped 10th gen DIY thread. :thumbsup:
Has Toyota gone back to the cartridge for the later '16 and '17 models? I have an October '15 build '16 and I have the cartridge, but it seems that many with '16 build have the old spin-on.

·
NOOB
07' Yaris
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So what is the difference between the thermostatic adapter and the standard adapter on the links? What is the advantage of the thermostatic since it costs $160 compared to $70 for the standard sandwich plate?

I went to the Toyota dealer today and ordered the parts for under $90 too! It helps have a friend at the dealer! was expecting it to be more but this will allow me to add an oil cooler. What oil cooler do you recommend for the Corolla? This would be great is you could "create" a kit that would work by listing all the parts needed from Toyota and the oil cooler parts. Listing them on this thread would be great too as they can then be "stickied" by a mod for others.
1) I will update the original thread with part numbers.

2) A thermostatic plate only allows a regulated flow amount through your cooler so that your oil will still get up to operating temp, then at the specified thermostat rating it opens fully to maintain that temperature. They have these adapters without a thermostat as well, but thats not ideal on street driven cars.

3) The $70 sandwich plated is for gauges and oil turbo feed ONLY. Not for a oil cooler setup.

4) I will look into providing links to the parts needed to build an oil cooler. I use a 10 row cooler because our engines dont really overheat the oil, its just an added precaution for us hitting Buttonwillow in the summer.

·
10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,401 Posts
Has Toyota gone back to the cartridge for the later '16 and '17 models? I have an October '15 build '16 and I have the cartridge, but it seems that many with '16 build have the old spin-on.
It's still somewhat of a mystery but from what I'm seeing, there was a minor change with the 2016 and models where they switched back to the spin on filters. I noticed that some 2016's still have a cartridge type filter so place of manufacturer, build date, and whether there was a shortage of cartridge filters are all possibilities as to why this happened. I'm not sure if 2017's went back to the cartridge type filter so the only way to find out is by asking 2017 owners. I'll make a poll thread seeing what oil filters everyone has.

Reactions: HowBoutAToyota

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
It's still somewhat of a mystery but from what I'm seeing, there was a minor change with the 2016 and models where they switched back to the spin on filters. I noticed that some 2016's still have a cartridge type filter so place of manufacturer, build date, and whether there was a shortage of cartridge filters are all possibilities as to why this happened. I'm not sure if 2017's went back to the cartridge type filter so the only way to find out is by asking 2017 owners. I'll make a poll thread seeing what oil filters everyone has.
No mystery, every Corolla and iM now use the spin on filters again. I was at a Toyota dealer today and asked my buddy and he said the reason they did it was because the number of plastic housings that had to be replaced was higher than Toyota wanted. It was a customer service issue as the plastic cartridge was $60 - $120 to replace he told me. I ordered the new adapter so that I can add an oil cooler to my turbo set up! :grin:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
Oil cooler parts:

1) Thermostatic oil sandwich plate (185)/$165 - https://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-thermostatic-oil-sandwich-plate.html

2) 10 row oil cooler/$125 - https://www.mishimoto.com/10-row-oil-cooler.html

3) (2)Sandwich plate fittings/$24 - https://www.mishimoto.com/sandwich-plate-fitting-m20-x-10an.html

4) Sandwich plate adapter for Toyota/$22 - https://www.mishimoto.com/stainless-steel-sandwich-plate-adapter-3-4-16unf.html

5) (2)5ft stainless steel braided hoses/$180 - https://www.mishimoto.com/5ft-stainless-steel-braided-hose-w-10an-fittings.html

Of course you may be able to find oil cooler lines and fittings cheaper elsewhere, but at least now you have an idea whats needed.
I checked on Amazon and they had these parts for less if anyone wants to add an oil cooler. :grin:

1. Mishimoto thermostatic oil sandwich plate/$165 - $136 on Amazon!!!!

2. Mishimoto 10 row oil cooler/$125 - $98.40 on Amazon!!!!

3.(2)Sandwich plate fittings/$24 - $22.62 on Amazon

4. Sandwich plate adapter for Toyota/$22 - $16.50 on Amazon!!!

5. (2)5ft stainless steel braided hoses/$180 - $135.80 on Amazon!!! They also have a 3' and 4' option for less. I have a feeling that a shorter one may be used depending on where the oil cooler is mounted.

The total would be $516 compared to $409.32!!!!! :clap: That is a savings of $116.68 and even more if shorter hoses are used. :rockon: I even saw some other hose brands that were less money. :grin:

·
NOOB
07' Yaris
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The total would be $516 compared to $409.32!!!!! :clap: That is a savings of $116.68 and even more if shorter hoses are used. :rockon: I even saw some other hose brands that were less money. :grin:
I am sponsored by Mishimoto and they give me a big discount on parts, all of these parts would be about $350 for me.

I told them more people may be interested in partnering with them, so they told me to tell you guys to also apply for their sponsorship program. Apply at www.mishimoto.com/sponsor and in the "purpose" section put "referred by Armstrong Racing"

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will probably make this conversion when I replace my front lower control arms, because the existing filter cartridge is blocking the removal of the horizontal bolt where the lower control arm mounts to the subframe.

I plan on replacing my control arms after I confirm that the Energy Suspension bushings from the 9th and 10th gen fit my 2014 Corolla. I installed these bushings on my 03 Matrix along with the rear trailing arm bushings and it was a huge improvement.

·
10th Gen Addict
2011 Toyota Corolla
3,401 Posts
I will probably make this conversion when I replace my front lower control arms, because the existing filter cartridge is blocking the removal of the horizontal bolt where the lower control arm mounts to the subframe.

I plan on replacing my control arms after I confirm that the Energy Suspension bushings from the 9th and 10th gen fit my 2014 Corolla. I installed these bushings on my 03 Matrix along with the rear trailing arm bushings and it was a huge improvement.
Please do report back with your findings on whether the bushings fit or not. :thumbsup:

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
I'll be picking up my parts tomorrow for the conversion. I got some of my oil cooler parts in today!
Such a cool case the thermostatic sandwich plate came in.

The oil cooler.

This shows the size of it.

Reactions: SupremeCorolla451

·
Diehard Rams Fan
23,330 Posts
I opened up my part to do the oil filter conversion and it was damaged on the oil seal surface. I need to wait for another one to be ordered now. :headbang:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts