Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Tuesday my 2012 Prius C brake system failed while I was driving to work. Multiple emergency lights popped on and the brakes lost pressure. I got it towed to the nearest Toyota dealership in Ann Arbor Michigan. That same Tuesday I was told it would cost $3,200 to fix the brake booster. The car has 114,000 miles on it and I have done regular maintenance throughout.

Toyota told me a day or two later they are considering providing some "assistance" with the repair....here I sit about 9 days later after making almost daily phone calls to the dealership or customer care with no assistance and just the promise "we are looking into it."

Has anybody heard of this issue or have any ideas how to reduce the cost? I looked into other mechanics and they are willing to do it cheaper but I have not had any success finding used parts. I'm not that handy and don't really have the tools or expertise to try and attempt this myself.

·
Registered
417 Posts
sounds excessive and expensive. Was it finally resolved? How much did you end up paying and what was done?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Last Tuesday my 2012 Prius C brake system failed while I was driving to work. Multiple emergency lights popped on and the brakes lost pressure. I got it towed to the nearest Toyota dealership in Ann Arbor Michigan. That same Tuesday I was told it would cost $3,200 to fix the brake booster. The car has 114,000 miles on it and I have done regular maintenance throughout.

Toyota told me a day or two later they are considering providing some "assistance" with the repair....here I sit about 9 days later after making almost daily phone calls to the dealership or customer care with no assistance and just the promise "we are looking into it."

Has anybody heard of this issue or have any ideas how to reduce the cost? I looked into other mechanics and they are willing to do it cheaper but I have not had any success finding used parts. I'm not that handy and don't really have the tools or expertise to try and attempt this myself.
Don't use used parts. What is required to be fixed?

I would have got the car towed to my house, because just touching the dealer lot is going to be a bill. Then if you decline they can hit you with there storage fee of X per day. People complain but thats business. If you towed the car to my house and left it in the driveway for 9 days and then said yeah I dont want you to fix it. I'd want to give you a bill aswell. Sucks I know.

Since you said it needs a brake booster, I assume you had them diagnose it? Why did the booster go bad? Did the master go and leak brake fluid into it.

That does seem like a lot for a booster. Probably a $500 dollar part and what 8 hours labor total @ shop rate. Even if shop rate is 200 an hour thats 2100 total. And im using high numbers for an estimate.

Something else is wrong.

·
Registered
557 Posts
By the way you never really said what is wrong and its hard to guess through a computer screen. What I got is the brakes went out and you went to the dealer. And was told it is a faulty brake booster. Never touched prius' but im fairly certain there are more things involved. Unless the hybrid system makes doing the booster more complicated, which it could I guess.

100K+ i doubt you have warranty. I would try to sneak out of there but sounds like you already got caught up in the mix.

Did the pedal go straight to the floor? If the problem is solely a fault booster itself the pedal should just be very stiff but still function to activate the brakes just with much less power then with the booster running optimally.

Sounds to me like you had low fluid making a brake light pop up and the car probably does some christmas tree lighting on the dash when that happens at speed to let you know something is wrong. That is just a guess though.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Way off.

47050-52020 - List @ 2497.76
47050-52040 - List @ 2497.76

3-4 hours of labor to R&R

1 hour to diagnose

Seems like he is being charged fairly to me.

For a Prius holy shit. Thats nuts, what did they complicate the system with. It has to be tied into something else to make it that expensive. I've seen like 4-5 different lexus' that the owners sent good money on keeping them in good shape. Until the warranty expired and something on the battery/hybrid system died calling for a 12K part + labor.

2015 Booster for a F30 BMW - $375
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/brake-servo-unit/34336851099/

·
Registered
557 Posts
Net price seems to be around $1600

$150 * 5 hrs = 750 labor

Used ones on ebay for 250-400.

Looks like you gotta bite the bullet with this one.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Price sounds about right. I quoted similar for a customer's 2010 Prius. It's not common but does happen. Certain 3rd gen Prius have a recall for the ABS pump (due to internal leak). The 2nd gen Prius have a recall for the ABS actuator. Maybe one day Toyota realizes so many of the Prius C brake systems are failing, someone starts a law suit, and then they'll start recalling them.

Keep in mind if you do this repair, it may happen again since it's the same part.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Had it happen on my 2012 Camry, about the same price. but was a warranty job at the time. Must have been a bad batch of those around that time.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,536 Posts
No wonder why hybrids are so expensive to maintain. They market the vehicle @ $20k as good for environment, but bad on consumer. Maybe time to offer an extended warranty for hybrids. Battery alone is like $8-10k.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
No wonder why hybrids are so expensive to maintain. They market the vehicle @ $20k as good for environment, but bad on consumer. Maybe time to offer an extended warranty for hybrids. Battery alone is like $8-10k.

Not necessarily. It's as much as a transmission on other vehicles and not a common problem.

2016 Prius 4T Premium Convenience Pkg
2016 NX200t F Sport

·
Registered
113 Posts
Holy $#%, Batman, that $2100 is probably a brake job on a Mercedes, all 4 corners. BTW, doesn't Mercedes put you in a MBZ loaner? I have a 2011 TCH that has been back to a Toyota dealer once in the 1.5 yrs I've owned it. My wife's 2015 Prius C goes to the same Honda/Toyota independent.

To my knowledge, only the hybrid battery pack is warranted to 150k miles.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
One more car I used to like. it's hilarious considering I have a Toyota with a 37 year old booster that has never needed replacement and another that's a8 years old and still original.

Neighbor had one replaced on a Solara for $800. The problem was she never used the emergency brake, for 175k miles. When her husband brought it to my attention, the emergency brake lever just moved to it;s limits without any brake activation. I drove it around the neighborhood both forward and backward, applying the emergency brake until the lever stopped the car at 7 clicks. Pedal travel was cut in half or more when using the regular brakes.

The issue I see is when you don't use the emergency brake, the diaphragm in the booster hyper extends over time and this can DEFINITELY contribute to booster premature failure. In extreme cases it can also cause premature wear on the front pads and degraded stopping distances.

MAKE SURE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE IS OPERATING PROPERLY.

Of course this DOES NOT APPLY to systems where the emergency brake is a completely independent system from the hydraulically actuated brakes. Mercedes had that type of ebrake decades ago where the rear discs had drum brakes inside the hub portion of the rotor, completely independent of the rear discs.

·
11,330 Posts
One more car I used to like. it's hilarious considering I have a Toyota with a 37 year old booster that has never needed replacement and another that's a8 years old and still original.

Neighbor had one replaced on a Solara for $800. The problem was she never used the emergency brake, for 175k miles. When her husband brought it to my attention, the emergency brake lever just moved to it;s limits without any brake activation. I drove it around the neighborhood both forward and backward, applying the emergency brake until the lever stopped the car at 7 clicks. Pedal travel was cut in half or more when using the regular brakes.

The issue I see is when you don't use the emergency brake, the diaphragm in the booster hyper extends over time and this can DEFINITELY contribute to booster premature failure. In extreme cases it can also cause premature wear on the front pads and degraded stopping distances.

MAKE SURE YOUR EMERGENCY BRAKE IS OPERATING PROPERLY.

Of course this DOES NOT APPLY to systems where the emergency brake is a completely independent system from the hydraulically actuated brakes. Mercedes had that type of ebrake decades ago where the rear discs had drum brakes inside the hub portion of the rotor, completely independent of the rear discs.

ABS is really not worth it?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
ABS is not really worth it?

Consider the traffic fatalities and how they have been reduced by close to 50% over the last 50 years. Every improvement in vehicle safety requirements has contributed to that reduction in fatalities. ABS means anyone can stop as quickly as possible, which definitely is worth it, so are air bags, seat belts, safety windshields, progressively collapsible body structures and hundreds of other improvements.

2 million people have died on highways in my 17 year lifetime in the USA, more than all our wars combined.

Other contributing factors.
Better road design.
Less drunk driving.
Fewer younger inexperienced drivers (can't afford it).
Better traffic enforcement
Hundreds of other contributing factors

1 - 20 of 23 Posts