Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking foward to a lot less brake dust.:)

Didn't cut the rotors.
They were just scuffed up a bit to even off and let the pads seat faster.
Did about 80 miles with them with no noise(I can hear with windows closed) or vibration.
Stopping feels the same.
Will keep you posted if interested.

·
Don't get mad. Get even.
a Toyota camry, daaa
1,778 Posts
please let me know about the dust, driving here in LA, just driving 8 miles to work and back home,I have black dust on my wheels and the f$#@! are a pain to clean, speacially when it gets to the little chrome bolts all around the rim, and those I clean them with a Qtip...
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
El Tano said:
please let me know about the dust, driving here in LA, just driving 8 miles to work and back home,I have black dust on my wheels and the f$#@! are a pain to clean, speacially when it gets to the little chrome bolts all around the rim, and those I clean them with a Qtip...
Thanks for sharing
Will do.
I can tell you I've used ceramic pads before in an Expedition I owned and the brake dust dropped at least 75% if not more.
I can't see why using the ceramics on the Camry would be any different.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ScottFern said:
Aren't those tougher on the rotors though? How is the rotor life with ceramics?
I never had a problem with rotors with 35000 miles of driving on my Expedition.
If I did,I wouldn't use ceramics.
Many new vehicles such as the '07 Maxima,some GM trucks etc come from the factory with Akebono ceramic pads.
I suggest you do a search.
You'll find people love ceramics and others who don't.
I'm one who likes ceramic pads..
I've read the major advantage of ceramic is that they disperse heat much better, therefore eliminating brake fade and extending the brakes life.
Don't know how true that is but the main thing I like is the 75%-80% less brake dust.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
patgood01 said:
Where did you get the brake pads from. I'm in NC and I am trying to find them.Thanks.

I bought them from Tirerack.com.
$67 delivered.
The Akebono part # is ACT1222.
Do a search and maybe you can find a better price.

·
Premium Member
2020 Highlander Plat, 2000 Camry LE
2,040 Posts
You could just use some light sand paper and roughen the surface of the rotor vertically from the center so it makes the pad have a good surface to seat properly. I have done this on many applications and it worked great. It also helps to seat them faster especially if your at the track and need to swap pads.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pimpin-tl said:
You could just use some light sand paper and roughen the surface of the rotor vertically from the center so it makes the pad have a good surface to seat properly. I have done this on many applications and it worked great. It also helps to seat them faster especially if your at the track and need to swap pads.
That exactly what was done,Pimp.
The pads seeem to have seated nicely.
No vibration or noise.:)
Can't tell yet on the brake dust cut because the wheel were dirty when I put on the pads.
Been to darn cold to do anything outside.:sosad:

·
Registered
445 Posts
I changed to the Akebonos on my moms 02 recently and can basically mirror whats been said. Pads have worn well, are quiet, no vibration, and they seem to dust less. I dont know what pads she had before (random shop did her brakes) But they were horrible and dusted badly.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
i can't wait till the EBC parts get out to distributors.

I'll be getting slotted/dimpled rotors and red stuff pads for my car post haste.

low dust, super stopping power, no fading, I CAN NOT WAIT

:D

Edit: OH and Stainless Steel brake lines!

·
Registered
445 Posts
ummm.......EBC Redstuffs? You do realize those are track only pads right? if you drive the camry on the street DO NOT use those.

·
SEcond Rate Products
406 Posts
Red Stuff's are street ceramic pads.

they USED to be track only, but not anymore.

Green Stuffs are now organic street pads.

Red stuffs ceramic street pads

yellow are track.

·
Registered
445 Posts
repocop said:
Red Stuff's are street ceramic pads.

they USED to be track only, but not anymore.

Green Stuffs are now organic street pads.

Red stuffs ceramic street pads

yellow are track.
Ah, didn't realize they had changed. Its been a while since I bought EBC's or any pads for that matter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts