Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reminiscing as I was looking for a Camry and to help future friends that are looking into a Camry, what do we consider best to get?

4 cylinders burn oil and have manifold issues

What issues do the 6 cylinder have? The 6th gen 6 cylinder just sounds like an awesome Camry to have. Great on gas and uses timing chain.

Besides more difficult maintenance, why would someone not get the 6 cylinder Camry? I see it also has the better 6 speed transmission? Any common issues on the 6 cylinder???

·
Registered
94 Posts
our 4 has not shown any sign of oil consumption in 85,000 miles we have driven it (2013 model).

When we bought our first Camry we test drove both the I4 and V6, there was not a significant difference in performance, to us, so we bought the I4, and drove it over 200,000 trouble free miles, that was an 03 model, replaced it with another I4 in 2013, no issues so far. The biggest difference is that I can change the spark plugs i. the I4 in about 30 minutes, taking my time. I have no desire to try the rear bank of the V6

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
our 4 has not shown any sign of oil consumption in 85,000 miles we have driven it (2013 model).

When we bought our first Camry we test drove both the I4 and V6, there was not a significant difference in performance, to us, so we bought the I4, and drove it over 200,000 trouble free miles, that was an 03 model, replaced it with another I4 in 2013, no issues so far. The biggest difference is that I can change the spark plugs i. the I4 in about 30 minutes, taking my time. I have no desire to try the rear bank of the V6
2013 is 7th gen

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have owned a 91 V-6 which was very fast standard shift could cruise at 90 all day long car had about 220,000 when I got rid of it ran like a sewing machine but rusted out. Since then I have owned 2 (97) 4 cyl. one had 220,000 miles on it ran perfect yet other one has about 190,000 still runs great burns no oil daughter has it. My current car my wife drives is a 2011 (4) cyl. with about 55,000 miles burns no oil but can't cruise at 90 and will not ride like a V-6 with heavier motor so I guess it depends on what you value on speed and ride or simplicity as far as I am concerned Toyota makes the best car out there try to find one in a salvage yard they don't break down only get into accidents because of poor drivers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, so thought I should give some pointers to help you decide. I have owned an 07 4 cylinder 6th Gen Camry for about 160K miles (260,000KMS) before I sold it and then brought a 07 V6 XLE 6th Gen Camry which currently has 112k Miles (180,000KMS) on it. So I have a fair idea on the differences.

4 Cylinder Camry Benefits:-
1. Mileage is about 490 Miles on a full tank (90% Highways and 10% City)
2. Easy/Quick Maintenance - lots of space for hands to work around the engine block.
3. Cheaper Parts Generally

4 Cylinder Camry Drawbacks:-
1. Need to keep record or periodic maintenance especially for the timing belt. (Although I didn't face any high oil consumption issues at least at that mileage)
2. Feels very sluggish on highway overtaking
3. Engine noise especially at highway speeds due to high RPM since its a 5 speed gear box unless you get 2010 & 2011 models which have the 2.5L 6 speed
4. not that great in acceleration

V6 Camry Benefits:-
1. Mileage is about 450 Miles on a full tank (90% Highways and 10% City)
2. Smooth engine acceleration on low RPM's due to high torque
3. great acceleration even at highway speeds
4. Exhaust sound is nice when modded.
5. Less wear and tear for high mileage use as engine is stronger.
6. Timing Chain!!!

V6 Camry Drawbacks:-
1. Engine cavity is very small hence maintenance can be a pain!!!... and expensive !!!
2. Dont have to but its best to change the VVTI pipe as its know to rupture and if it does it can damage your engine.

Well those are the points that come to my mind for now and what I have experienced so far. Hope it helps!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey, so thought I should give some pointers to help you decide. I have owned an 07 4 cylinder 6th Gen Camry for about 160K miles (260,000KMS) before I sold it and then brought a 07 V6 XLE 6th Gen Camry which currently has 112k Miles (180,000KMS) on it. So I have a fair idea on the differences.

4 Cylinder Camry Benefits:-
1. Mileage is about 490 Miles on a full tank (90% Highways and 10% City)
2. Easy/Quick Maintenance - lots of space for hands to work around the engine block.
3. Cheaper Parts Generally

4 Cylinder Camry Drawbacks:-
1. Need to keep record or periodic maintenance especially for the timing belt. (Although I didn't face any high oil consumption issues at least at that mileage)
!!
The I4 has a timing chain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts