Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Experts agree: If you want to improve your car’s handling, the best bang-for-your-buck comes from good set of tires.

Most cars come with all-season tires, which provide a compromise between handling, ride quality and winter traction. Ditch those shoes for a good set of summer rubber, and you’ll be amazed at how your car comes alive in the corners. Here are some of the best-rated performance tires on the market according to real world testing by consumers — and what you can expect to pay for them.

And as an added bonus, if you find the tires you’re looking for (between now and May 6), on eBay.com, you can get $50 off the purchase of a new set of tires over $300. Just use the coupon code: CTIRES416.

BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2

In the data available, the BFG G-Force Sport Comp 2 is the highest rated tire in its class, and also took first place in a comparison test against three other competitors (two of which are on this list). The G-Force Sport Comp 3 delivered the best traction on both wet and dry roads, though the road noise it produced was higher than the other tires. We found the smallest sizes as cheap as $89 a tire, with a 245/40ZR18 size tire going for as little as $137. (Your results may differ).

Search for more BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 tires here.

Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

Firestone is the sole supplier of tires for IndyCar racing, hence the name of this particular tire. This is the second-highest-rated tire on the list, although Tire Rack testing found that it didn’t have quite as much grip (particularly in the wet) as the tires it was up against. However, it delivered a smoother ride and less road noise—a worthwhile trade-off if you use your car for long road trips. Small sizes can be as inexpensive as $74, and for our 245/40R18 sample size we found these tires going for less than $150.

Search for more Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500 tires here.

Dunlop Direzza DZ102

The Direzza DZ102 is another favorite and comes in at third place. In their own testing, Tire Rack found that the DZ102 offered sharp, responsive turn-in and a comfortable ride, though it didn’t deliver as much at-the-limit grip as the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 (see above) and the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (see below). We found 16-inch DZ102s for $72; in 245/80R18 size, you can pay as little as $140.

Search for more Dunlop Direzza DZ102 tires here.

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport

Though not as popular with customers, Tire Rack’s test team rated the RE760 Sport second only to the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2. They praised it for its at-the-limit handling, and were pleasantly surprised by its good ride quality, something unexpected in a tire that performs so well.While the other tires listed here can be had in 15” sizes, the RE760 only goes as small as 16; even so it is price-competitive at $100 a tire. Our sample 245/45/R18 tire can be found for $158.

Search for more Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires here.

Kuhmo Ecsta SPT

Kuhmo (“koo-moe”) is an up-and-coming South Korean tire manufacturer that makes good-quality high-performance tires that are aggressively priced. The Ecsta SPT is rated well, and while their test team found that doesn’t quite deliver the precise handling of some of its better-known competitors, its grip in the wet is impressive. Kuhmo doesn’t make the Ecsta SPT in smaller sizes; we found it in size 245/50R18 at a bargain price of $95.

Search for more Kuhmo Ecsta SPT tires here.

The Wise Guide team writes about things we think you’ll like, introducing you to great products, services and special deals. We do have affiliate partnerships, so we may earn revenue from the products and services you buy.

·
User of TN
473 Posts
I use the sport-comp 2's on my corolla when AutoX'ing. Great tires for the money, I've actually won an autocross in them. DZ102's aren't worth it... dad's car(a G35 sedan) has them. Better than an all-season in the wet though so they have that going for them. But the overall grip is waaay less. they break away like an all season tire, maybe a bit extra grip but nothing good enough. And he even has a 10mm wider tire than stock..

Nothing is as good as a good Extreme Performance summer tire. but then you are paying more for something that lasts shorter and well. you pay more. that's why I avoided them. Though next time the Kumho Ecsta V720's are looking like a good value. But I wouldn't bother using an EP tire on the road anyway. Very grippy, but no good in the puddles.

The sport comp 2's sail right through puddles. amazing feeling if you've never felt it before. Great tires. And the tread pattern looks cool if you care about that. I see no reason to buy anything else unless you have lots of cash. Seriously, buy these tires. They are better than Pirelli P zero's (as of last year, and even though they are in a class lower than the P Zero's) and they last a good amount of time.

keep on corollin' or whatever you do. lol

(yes, I know I need better suspension. that's besides the point when you can win an autoX in an old corolla with simply modern tire technology)

Attachments

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,237 Posts
I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport tires for my 89 Supercharged MR2 in a 205/45R16 and love them. The best tire I've ever had on my MR2!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
SuperchargedMR2
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing