Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been going toe to toe with my 86 Cressida at the smog only test station first thing I did was change the Cat along with Flowmaster (had it laying around) DIDNT pass The tech suggested cleaning the EGR so I did & I also cleaned the EGR port between EGR Valve and the throttle body DIDNT pass and that was my free re-test, last thing to change was the O2 sensor SO I bought a new one and when removing the old one I saw that one of the nuts holding the sensor was missing:eek: and the other one was very loose, so i removed it & it had exhaust burns al over it. so I put the new sensor on and flew down to the shop.

new cat $65.00
welding cat $100.00
first smog $69.00
re-test free
o2 sensor $60.00
another smog $69.00

smog slip that says PASSED "Priceless" :whatwhat:

·
CRESSIDA!!!
1984 Toyota Cressida
5,630 Posts
In October, my Cressida originally didn't pass smog, but then we took it to another place (friends GM dealer!) and it passed. Granted, we had run the car for a while to make sure it was hot. The original smog said the timing was off. It probably would've passed the 2nd time had my dad not run it awhile before we took it, but oh well!

If you don't want to spend money, run the car fast on the freeway with premium fuel. Then, just bring it in, and see what happens. It just might pass without any maintence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
84, I tried that the first two times making sure that the engine was nice and warm, but looking at the o2 sensor being loose and the EGR passage that was hella clogged up I dont think the Cressy would have ever passed, once I put the new o2 sensor I just took it down to the shop 1/2 mile from the house without warming it up too much and it passed with flying colors even the tech said it was running real clean and the numbers show....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts