Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would post my experience this weekend. Went rabbit hunting Friday & Saturday with 2001 Camry. The battery has been showing signs of replacement in the NE subzero temps the last few weeks .... but thought it would be okay. Although having arrived at camp Friday morning - I inadvertantly left the dome light on and noticed it only at dusk. In my haste to turn it off I accidently pressed the "panic button" on the remote and then dropped the keys down a hole in the stairs.:eek: When I finally got it under control - the battery was "weak" and it wouldn't turn over. I got a multimeter out of the trunk and it read 11.65v :sosad: . No need to panic ... cause I wasn't scheduled home till Sunday(today) .... so I disconnected the battery - took it in the camp and set it adjacent the wood stove and got the fire stoked. By about 10pm the voltage had risen to 11.89v and holding. Woke up at 3:00 am reloaded the stove and checked the voltage it had climbed to 11.99v. Went back to sleep. Went for the morning hunt .... keeping the camp warm and returned at 10:00am - the voltage was 12.05v. Took some water & baking soda and scrubed all terminals/contacts By 2:00pm the voltage had dropped to 12.04v ... so with the sun starting top get lower yet still on the hood ... I decided to hook it up and give it a go. First try .... got a slight hint of a spark and then click-click ...... second try it turned over.:whatwhat:

Ran it for 30 minutes and it was reading 14volts - shut it off and it was reading 12.65v - got some fiberglass insulation and wrapped it around the battery last night to keep it snug - started with full fire this morning. :)

Moral: If your 50 miles back in the woods with a dead battery .... show it a little hospitality and warmth.

·
Registered
98 Camry XLE V6
3,116 Posts
haha what an inspirational story.
you should buy a self jumper. although it hasnt saved me (minus the onboard air pump), the jumper has saved about 10 people, friends and strangers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nodrogkam said:
haha what an inspirational story.
you should buy a self jumper. although it hasnt saved me (minus the onboard air pump), the jumper has saved about 10 people, friends and strangers.
:thumbup:

Will do very soon - because don't really expect that little magic trick to work everytime.:)

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,666 Posts
Buy one from Canadian tire, I got mine for half price and let me tell you they're useful. :)

I have the Motomaster 700amp booster pack.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
You know, from the title of this thread I was expecting something hillariously more funny. Like you were cooking a rabbit and the battery attacked your wooden stove burning down a log cabin you happened to be staying in. Purple-monkey-dishwasher. I dunno.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HeHeHe Sorry Guys .....

The end of the story is I made it home without somebody having to drive 100 miles roundtrip for a boost (which I surely would have worn "the Goat Horns" for till Christmas 2010) ...... guess you could say I pulled a rabbit out of the hat:lol: ...

:confused: come to think of it I might have seen that same trick on an old episode of McGyver ......

at any rate it's rabbit/partridge stew tomorrow night .... cause I got 4 bunnies.:whatwhat:

.... thanks Ren69 - I'll check out CT.:thumbup:

·
GO PATRIOTS!
2007 Tundra
8,676 Posts
PeakXV said:
it's rabbit stew tomorrow night ....

:licklips: Sounds good. I almost had fox stew yesterday.....but I thought better of it, my wife would have been pissed if I killed it in front of a bunch of kids at a birthday party.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts