Toyota Nation Forum banner

The ECHO a Distant Memory/Scion xA Now Gets Limited Edition Series 1.0

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Sportivo Concepts 
#1 ·
Toyota will be snuffing out the ECHO as well come the the model year 2005.

With Toyota officially announcing the discontinuance of the Celica and the MR-2/S, which we reported here first back in Dec '03, we bring even more bad news from Toyota.

It was believed that the new Scion tC (limited to production of only 100,00) was to replace the Celica, but as it turns out to be the ECHO was the original victim to be snuff out from Toyota's line-up. (Link)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 20, 2004 - Torrance, CA - Scion, the new line of cars from Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc, released manufacturer's suggested retail prices (MSRP) today for its limited edition Scion xA subcompact. The xA Release Series 1.0 will begin arriving in Scion dealerships in late August.

The xA Release Series 1.0 joins the vibrant orange xB Release Series 1.0 as the second in a line-up of limited edition vehicles from Scion that will offer several unique interior and exterior enhancements. (Link)

#2 ·
I've always disliked the echo. Specifically the sedan/coupe version that we get. The hatchback isn't so bad but I would rather drive an xA if I had to choose between the two.

#3 · (Edited)
Good riddance. The US echo sucked, and the Japanese Vitz was only so-so. They killed the Starlett for it, which is a tragedy because the Turbo Starlett was bad-ass.

Even the Tercel/Paseo/Sera was a much better car IMHO.

I don't think the Tc was meant to replace the Echo. More likely, the Xa and Xb were. They have similar specs and pricing.

- John

#5 ·
Kensuke said:
Good riddence. The US echo sucked, and the Japanese Vitz was only so-so. They killed the Starlett for it, which is a tragedy because the Turbo Starlett was bad-ass.

Even the Tercel/Paseo/Sera was a much better car IMHO.

I don't think the Tc was meant to replace the Echo. More likely, the Xa and Xb were. They have similar specs and pricing.

- John
The xA and B are actually a year older than the ECHO, its just new to US shores, like I said in the other thread about the Celica and MR2 being gone, the xA and xB was only brought to the US becasue they are some of Japans top selling cars among the youth, and that the creation of the Scion was more or less a rushed thing so they need to have vehicles to sell under the Scion name, if you notice, the xA was orginally suppose to be the aA, but becasue that car was a flop there and the bB was huge we got the bB as the xB and the ist as our xA or as I like to call it "Mini Me" Matrix. The reason the specs are so similar is because they all us the same platform, and as for the price all Scions are suppose to be cheap in price.

The fact of the matter is that the Prius which is based at 20K was suppose to be the new wave ecno car for the "Green People" while the ECHO was suppose to be the "poor mans" econo car. The only thing is that the "poor man" wanted the Prius more than they did the ECHO, so yes sales was good when the ECHO was first released, but after the release of the Prius, sales was few and far between.

But the orginal target for the tC to kill was the ECHO, but it also killed off the Celica and MR2 once it got the final design and specs. The Celica is actually more expensive than the tC alot slower and the base model is way under equiped when compared to the tC. So all in all the tC have 3 confirmed kills and will last through it all IMO.

earthmike said:
Aren't the xA and xB built upon Echo chassis/frame or something? (don't know what to call it with unibody) I think I read that somewhere.

If so, what about the tC?

edit: After looking at some of the specs, perhaps not. Maybe I was thinking of the engines.
The ECHO and xB, not sure about the xA all share the same platform. The tC while it looks like Japans Caldina the chassis is a modified one from Euros Avensis which is different from the Japanese version.

#8 ·
the echo should be replaced with the echo hatch, but named Vitz/Yaris or something, a different name so former "non-fans" wont be put off by the old name..

130 hp can make it a small pocket rocket, not a cheap economy car...

#9 ·
Sportivo Concepts said:
How many cars make up toyota Canada?
Echo Sedan
Echo Hatchback
Corolla
Matrix
Camry Sedan
Prius
Avalon
Celica
Camry Solara
Sienna
RAV4
Highlander
4Runner
Sequoia
Tacoma
Tundra

#12 ·
Yeah, I did, the Avie will be replaced by the Crown as earlier as modle year 2006, but no later than 2010. I know that it may seem like such a generic and widespread time frame, but right now they are more or less waiting for the sales report and the projected sales to be finalize. If you notice, the Avie looks like a Japanese version of the Crown Vic.

The Avalon really dont have an identity of its own and alot of ppl look at it as an overgrown Camry, so with something like the Crown that commands respect and defintely stands out in the crowd they will add that to the Toyota line-up and eventually phase out the Avalon.

#14 ·
Sportivo Concepts said:
Yeah, I did, the Avie will be replaced by the Crown as earlier as modle year 2006, but no later than 2010. I know that it may seem like such a generic and widespread time frame, but right now they are more or less waiting for the sales report and the projected sales to be finalize. If you notice, the Avie looks like a Japanese version of the Crown Vic.

The Avalon really dont have an identity of its own and alot of ppl look at it as an overgrown Camry, so with something like the Crown that commands respect and defintely stands out in the crowd they will add that to the Toyota line-up and eventually phase out the Avalon.

The avolon is staying. It was in one of the magazines motor trend or road and track i forget. they had pics of it and specs out already. the profile looks similar to the new lexus gs. the mag said it'll have a 3.5l v6 about 270 horses

#18 ·
Toyota of Canada will being keeping the ECHO and the ECHO Hatchback through the model year of 2005, anything after that is till be to determined.

Here are the specs for the 05 ECHO

Engine 1NZ-FE • 1.5 Litre, 4-Cylinder, DOHC, 16-Valve, Variable
Valve Timing w/intelligence (VVT-i), Sequential
Multiport Electronic Fuel Injection

Compression Ratio • 10.5:1

Horsepower (kW) • 108 (80) @ 6000 rpm

Torque (N.m.) • 105 (143) @ 4200 rpm

Suspension • Front: MacPherson Gas Struts, Coil Springs,
Stabilizer Bar • Rear: Torsion Beam Type, Coil Springs

Drivetrain • Front Engine/Front-Wheel Drive

Transmission • 5-Speed, Manual, Overdrive
• 4-Speed, Automatic, Electronically Controlled
Overdrive w/Lock-Up Torque Converter & Overdrive
Cancel Switch (Optional)

Brakes • Power-Assisted, Front Ventilated Discs, Rear Drums
• Antilock Braking System (ABS)

Steering • Rack & Pinion w/Variable Power Assist

Tires • P175/65R14, All-Season Radials, Compact Spare
• P185/60R15, All-Season Radials, Compact Spare (optional)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.