Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 154 Posts

·
The Asian Sensation
1996 Lexus SC300
904 Posts
aleks 77, the idea is to screw both bolts in the same direction so that the cable is tighter. the metal thing is there as a mounting bracket for the cable.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
aleks77 Look at your picture as what I say is in relation to it.
Wrench the bottom nut the OPPOSITE direction we want it to go. (down in that picture) That way you can move the cable in the bracket and get enough room to wrench the top nut upwards towards the stopper. Then just wrench the bottom nut up against it to clamp it back down.

This is my own idiocy here, but are you sure that's a kick-down cable and not just your throttle cable?

·
Registered
275 Posts
well i got 2 cables......one goes down like into the ground, the one thats in the pic goes into some black box......

·
Registered
275 Posts
thats all i gotta do? just wrench the top one up, and then wrench the bottom one up? i dont gotta pull any cables or anythin? and the metal bracket will go along with it? damn confusing and the bolts are DAMN hard to turn :hammer:

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If you're wanting to do it, think less and wrench more. Just move the top nut in that picture to thestopper and then start moving the bottom to the stopper. It'll move what it needs to.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
but the transmission will go longer without burning fluid, and the clutches will last longer because they're not holding the planetary gear set as long.
Like I said this *improves* reliability over stock, as the transmission clutches are not pushing the planetary gearset in and out as long, and the fluid doesn't build up as much heat.
I also doubt that if you adjust it to your liking (I doubt most people will drive with it all the way up because it does shift quickly and harder into gear) that any mount issues will arise. I honestly doubt any mount issues will come up to begin with if a car's mounts are in OK shape to begin with. (Not all ratty on the inside)
No GaviN. If they mounts are not broken to begin with this wont.
That being said, Apparantly Tony is telling us that if you adjust it too far it'll throw a CEL on the A541E transmission. I would suspect the same would be true for the nwer A750E 5 speed transmission.

Doesn't change anything. Tighten the cable all the way and if you don't like it put it back.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ok finally i got a chance this morning to take a pix of my car, where is the cable to adjust A/T for faster gear change for my Gen 3 Camry touring????
Anyway here the pix...i also marked 2 circles "yellow" and "blue" , which is the cable i need to adjust????
Thanks guys :)

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I was looking at that engine pic thinking it's one of the rare 3vz-fe gen 3.5's I've been talking about. Then I saw you're just from Aus LoL!
It's the bottom cable, yellow. Notice how it comes from the transmission, while the throttle cable on top comes from the cruise control box.

As soon as I get my car tuned from the work I've done, I think I'll pull the cable off the throttle and crimp a stopper on it to hold it all the way taught.

·
Registered
56 Posts
94_v6_camry said:
Ok finally i got a chance this morning to take a pix of my car, where is the cable to adjust A/T for faster gear change for my Gen 3 Camry touring????
Anyway here the pix...i also marked 2 circles "yellow" and "blue" , which is the cable i need to adjust????
Thanks guys :)
the yellow one, notice in the middle how there is a block from the screw next to the stopper and the other screw on the right, you said before if you tighten the screw to touch the stopper you have to tighten the bottom screw also, to match where you did the first one, but with that metal blocking wall in the way, how are you suppose to do it? im confused=p

·
Registered
275 Posts
so is it the bottom cable for my 2000 cam too? the one that comes from the black box? not the one that goes down toward the ground?

THanks

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
The one comming from the bottom of the car connects to your transmission. The black box is cruise control...

cam98hi - What I mean is that if the metal bracket is in the way so you can't tighten the first nut. You can loosen the second nut so you can push the cable where you can get to the bolt.

Derrick - Clockwise is tight. Left is loose, right is tight.

·
tC
2007 Scion tC
486 Posts
hmmmm.....

i just looked under my hood(1mz-fe) and noticed that there was about an inch of slack in the kickdown cable. well, some of you may remember that i posted some questions about having problems with my auto tranny and shifting into O/D. i tightened up this cable by adjusting the screw that is referenced in this post and the problem is gone. i mean completely gone. i didnt overtighten the cable to get the harder, quicker shift that this post recommends. i put just enough tension on the cable to eliminate the slack. i think maybe this kickdown cable may stretch over time and start to cause problems and tightening the cable puts it closer to when it was new. anyway, thanks to this forum i have solved an annoying problem and spent $0.
:D

41 - 60 of 154 Posts