Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i posted some questions in another thread but i figured i might as well give a little back story. My 16 year old daughter saved her own money and bought this car on her own. very proud of her. anyway its a bit of a fixer upper. it used 1/2 a qt of oil on the 30 mile drive home. and had a few other issues

heres some pics

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after getting it home from the drive and all the smoke cleared i noticed a noise coming from the engine. sounded like something had came loose almost, under the valve cover. i pulled the valve cover not knowing anything about the engine thinking maybe it had a loose rocker arm or cam follower but that wasnt the case. the upper end had alot of varnish and carbon build up for 190k miles. it obviously missed a few oil changes.
the alternator also decided to go out on the test drive as well as loosing oil pressure.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Auto part Automotive air manifold

theres no obvious signs of catastrophic vslve train failure. but the engine has kept a rattle when warm since we got it. it may be vslve lash or a busted tensioner. that will be determined later.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Camera accessory Toy Machine Cameras & optics Auto part

so i found a shop in town to rebuild the alternator for $100. not too shabby.

i got it all back together running. the check engine light has been on since we got it as well. multiple codes. p0125 p0300 p0303 and p0302 have all been given at one point or another. pp302 had switched to p0303 after the piston soak. im thinking a plug may be bad a got switched.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anyhow with all the carbon and misfiring i figured lets give it some more cleaning.
seafoam time. i sprayed a whole can im the throttle body with it running and gave it a hot soak. added some to the fuel and oil with a fresh oil change
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Wow! That’s a lot of carbon build up. These 1zz motors were known to have bad oil control rings on the piston. There are many write ups on this issue. The fix is to pull the piston. Clean out the carbon in the rings. Drill out the oil ports behind the rings. Add more holes to ensure oil flow between the rings.

Some have reported some success in using Seafoam in a cold engine crankcase. Running it with clean oil. Get the motor up in temp. And flushing the oil and filter. There is much more carbon to remove. This is a temporary solution tho.

Great job on the car! You did what most people won’t. The engine bay looks clean otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright so now i decided to tackle the p0125 code. first i changed the ect or coolant temp sensor and cleared the codes. now the new sensor is telling me the car is overheating and i believe it because its a new sensor, right?
well, after chaging the water pump, fan switch, fan relay, thermostat, and flushing the coolant the gauge says the same. after feeling around the engine i decide the sensor is bad. replaced the sensor and right back where i started. p0125. some heavy googling brought up old threads here that mentioned the o2 might be the culprit. (its on order now)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow! That’s a lot of carbon build up. These 1zz motors were known to have bad oil control rings on the piston. There are many write ups on this issue. The fix is to pull the piston. Clean out the carbon in the rings. Drill out the oil ports behind the rings. Add more holes to ensure oil flow between the rings.

Some have reported some success in using Seafoam in a cold engine crankcase. Running it with clean oil. Get the motor up in temp. And flushing the oil and filter. There is much more carbon to remove. This is a temporary solution tho.

Great job on the car! You did what most people won’t. The engine bay looks clean otherwise.

it was covered in black nasty stuff. i pressure washed it and found the new timing chain tensioner installed by previous owner to be leaking. i replaced it and there seems to be no more leaks yet. right now oil level is holding steady but i only have 100 miles on the fill

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
17,788 Posts
Just a FYI, Toyota's in general don't play well with 3rd party electrical components like sensors.
So it's OEM and Denso which are usually the same. Also avoid Amazon and Ebay for parts. Too many counterfeits.
Nice job Dad!

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I agree, please shop for original. I personally use RockAuto or Dealer parts. Ignition systems are very sensitive for this engine. Denso or NGK. I recommend NGK Laser Iridiums.

I do find that after seafoaming my 1zz, the plugs do get nasty. The misfires you mention are highly likely the valve cover gasket leaking oil down into the plugs. Clean off the spark plug wells so ensure clean threads for the plugs to ground off to. Furthermore, if you are leaning out, change out the intake manifold gasket. Clean out the manifold. Clean the runners the best you can. That will ensure a good seal in the intake track. Check your rubber hoses for any cracks. Cracks can bleed extra air into the intake which can lean out the fuel mix.

It’s a whole lot of cleaning but it’s reasonable for old but reliable car. I’ve religiously clean mines and have had great success on my 1zz 05 corolla.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree, please shop for original. I personally use RockAuto or Dealer parts. Ignition systems are very sensitive for this engine. Denso or NGK. I recommend NGK Laser Iridiums.

I do find that after seafoaming my 1zz, the plugs do get nasty. The misfires you mention are highly likely the valve cover gasket leaking oil down into the plugs. Clean off the spark plug wells so ensure clean threads for the plugs to ground off to. Furthermore, if you are leaning out, change out the intake manifold gasket. Clean out the manifold. Clean the runners the best you can. That will ensure a good seal in the intake track. Check your rubber hoses for any cracks. Cracks can bleed extra air into the intake which can lean out the fuel mix.

It’s a whole lot of cleaning but it’s reasonable for old but reliable car. I’ve religiously clean mines and have had great success on my 1zz 05 corolla.

thanks man

1 - 20 of 47 Posts