Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wow! That’s a lot of carbon build up. These 1zz motors were known to have bad oil control rings on the piston. There are many write ups on this issue. The fix is to pull the piston. Clean out the carbon in the rings. Drill out the oil ports behind the rings. Add more holes to ensure oil flow between the rings.

Some have reported some success in using Seafoam in a cold engine crankcase. Running it with clean oil. Get the motor up in temp. And flushing the oil and filter. There is much more carbon to remove. This is a temporary solution tho.

Great job on the car! You did what most people won’t. The engine bay looks clean otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I agree, please shop for original. I personally use RockAuto or Dealer parts. Ignition systems are very sensitive for this engine. Denso or NGK. I recommend NGK Laser Iridiums.

I do find that after seafoaming my 1zz, the plugs do get nasty. The misfires you mention are highly likely the valve cover gasket leaking oil down into the plugs. Clean off the spark plug wells so ensure clean threads for the plugs to ground off to. Furthermore, if you are leaning out, change out the intake manifold gasket. Clean out the manifold. Clean the runners the best you can. That will ensure a good seal in the intake track. Check your rubber hoses for any cracks. Cracks can bleed extra air into the intake which can lean out the fuel mix.

It’s a whole lot of cleaning but it’s reasonable for old but reliable car. I’ve religiously clean mines and have had great success on my 1zz 05 corolla.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts