Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
bleed the air out of coolant if you opened up the cooling. I don't know if you said how many miles. I can't believe it is burning through all that oil with anything less than 350k miles. To me it sounds like the engine needs a rebuild. Not many things you can do wo magically stop oil from running through worn engines. at least with the small 4 cyl, it's much easier and cheaper than larger engines.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
bleed the air out of coolant if you opened up the cooling. I don't know if you said how many miles. I can't believe it is burning through all that oil with anything less than 350k miles. To me it sounds like the engine needs a rebuild. Not many things you can do wo magically stop oil from running through worn engines. at least with the small 4 cyl, it's much easier and cheaper than larger engines.
well so far, since all of that we have put 100 miles on the car with zero oil loss. i believe it was a combination of oil leaks and buring that caused the thing to lose 1/2 a qt in 30 miles. time will tell exactly how much oil its burning now that we got the leaks stopped. it may need rebuilt. in fact i may end up pulling the head to get it done and then pulling the pistons/ rods for new rings and rod bearings and then replacing the timing chain kit and oil pump too. but thats a far off future maybe.

the coolant....yes. its a finicky little car. like a rich person's purse dog. it has to have everything just right and this little car likes to be filled with coolant while on ramps to get the front end up or it doesnt want to burp out the air. its ironed out now but i got pretty frustrated with it.

for now the kid is running the wheels off getting ready for her driving test and loving every bit of it.

·
Registered
'09 Venza V6 AWD - '86.5 Supra 2JZ-GE
58 Posts
Keep us posted on how this goes. Bought my daughter a 2nd gen CR-V two years ago soon after she got her license, and the car's doing well, though my daughter was not as motivated to get wheels are yours was. I'm curious how your repair work progresses, and how her enjoyment of car ownership progresses. Great pics.

·
Registered
97 Posts
so i posted some questions in another thread but i figured i might as well give a little back story. My 16 year old daughter saved her own money and bought this car on her own. very proud of her. anyway its a bit of a fixer upper. it used 1/2 a qt of oil on the 30 mile drive home. and had a few other issues

heres some pics

View attachment 400043
Sounds like you are very familiar arounf car motors. KUDOS to you on that and for helping out your daughter on the car. I have to ask though, wouldn't it have been better to take the money required to spruce up the motor and invest in a higher priced car that didn't require as much hands on? For example. I still have my '06 Corolla with 370K+ miles and it runs perfect with no oil issues and absolutely no motor work; only regular 5K mile Oil/filter (synth).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Sounds like you are very familiar arounf car motors. KUDOS to you on that and for helping out your daughter on the car. I have to ask though, wouldn't it have been better to take the money required to spruce up the motor and invest in a higher priced car that didn't require as much hands on? For example. I still have my '06 Corolla with 370K+ miles and it runs perfect with no oil issues and absolutely no motor work; only regular 5K mile Oil/filter (synth).
it was all we could find, running, in her price range.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
well that was fun. i replaced the o2 sensors and found a laundry list of codes ranging from randoms misfires, misfires on cylinders, the old p0125, and lean codes. cleared them all out and went for a test drive. the cel hasnt came back on yet and interestingly the seat belt light that was always on is off now. maybe it had something to do with me pulling the passenger seat.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Little successes are fun and rewarding. Just replaced a power window master switch in driver's door of my sister's CR-V with a switch out of a JY car. Previously it was unable to move passenger side front window or driver's side rear window without using the switch located at the associated door. Got lucky with the JY switch; now any window can be raised or lowered at the master. If only the A/C was as easy a fix...

Keep up with the projects, and your daughter will have a real keeper of a car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
well i took the box to work today. no check engine light!

at lunch i went to get the front tires balanced because of a vibration at 55mph+. they were each 3oz out. bad news is the wheel are slightly bent. after looking at the car on the lift i noticed a few things. newer front struts, sway bar end links, brake pads, and cv axles. im betting someone had a wreck or hit something.

looks like instead of just getting new tires when the time comes we will be getting tires and wheels

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe you can get lucky and find a set of OEM aluminum alloy (the ones from the first Prius also work) and then you can pick one of your good existing wheels to use as a full size spare.
I'd try that route. Craigslist usually has someone on there posting a set of factory wheels they took off when they put on their high-zoot aftermarket wheels. Different search terms might help you out also. "Corolla", "5x114", "5x4.5", "17x6", "16x6", etc., etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
update on the ole corolla. changed the oil today at 260 miles. itnwas pretty dark and there was alot of carbon in the filter. i guess the seafoam did a little cleaning. filled it with mobil delvac 15w40 and marvel mystery oil. gonna run it about 500 miles and see what we get.

Vehicle Car Hood Grille Motor vehicle

21 - 40 of 51 Posts