Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Taco Yo!!
2005 Tacoma 4x4
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
the hellish flight to get my taco (PICS POSTED)

so my day started at 3:30am when my greyhound bus left early, leaving me to find another way to the airport. I drove myself, which I was trying to avoid cuz I live an hour away. I board my flight at 7:30am and end up with a mechanical failure....which turns out to be a 3 hour wait on the tarmac. Then in Chicago there is a 3 hour weather delay. Then an hour delay in the plane cuz it wasn't deiced properly. I finally end up in Greensboro at 9pm my time. I am drinking a Guinness in the hotel getting ready to get some sleep so I am ready for my new Tacoma in the morning!! (sorry for the poor typing! Posting from my iPod touch!)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Say hi to my buddy

so my day started at 3:30am when my greyhound bus left early, leaving me to find another way to the airport. I drove myself, which I was trying to avoid cuz I live an hour away. I board my flight at 7:30am and end up with a mechanical failure....which turns out to be a 3 hour wait on the tarmac. Then in Chicago there is a 3 hour weather delay. Then an hour delay in the plane cuz it wasn't deiced properly. I finally end up in Greensboro at 9pm my time. I am drinking a Guinness in the hotel getting ready to get some sleep so I am ready for my new Tacoma in the morning!! (sorry for the poor typing! Posting from my iPod touch!)

good luck with your new Truck, and say hi to K. for me

Rene

·
Taco Time!
146 Posts
Hey CK!

It's good to read that you got all of the bad stuff out of the way early into your trip.

Now get your a** back home while the weather is still good.

I'll take care of the Mrs. while you're gone :D

·
Taco Yo!!
2005 Tacoma 4x4
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey CK!
I'll take care of the Mrs. while you're gone :D
Haha! Now I know why she wasn't even a little bit excited to see me when I got home!

Here is a continuation of my hellish trip journal:

Immediately after my original post, the bar tender announced "Sorry, we are closing up shop for the night. Finish up"

There was no way I could have a second Guinness :sosad:

Then one of the ladies says to me "There are strippers right next door, what are you doing here?!"
I laughed, chugged my beer down, and left! No, not to the nudie bar! I went to the gas station, grabbed a big can of Coors, went back to my room, and drank myself to sleep.

Day Two:
My salesman shows up at the hotel to pick me up. He says "So, let's take your new truck for a spin!" as we walked out the door, there was my truck waiting for me!

All went very smoothly at the dealership! If I had to give them a score, it would be an easy 100%!

Once all the paperwork was taken care of, the service department gave me some tools to start ripping the dash apart to install my ipod adapter.
Once my ipod was working, and my Tomtom had a signal from the sky, I was on my way!

I drove from Greensboro to the outskirts of Indianapolis on the first day with my new Taco.
Beer and TV ended my evening.......no strip bars anywhere close by :sosad:

Day Three:

This was all driving, with stops for shopping here and there. Nothing exciting, except for the new truck smell!
I made it to some little dinky town 50 miles east of Moorehead Minnesota.

Day Four:

Mostly driving, but I was on a mission. Rather than spend another night in a hotel, I covered lots of ground, and made it all the way to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. To stay over at my best friend's house. He and I sat up trying out my new bottle of rum!

The only problem I encountered on the trip (after the first day of :bullshit2) was the Jackass at US Customs. The guy was obviously not a people person, and appeared to hate his job. I arrived at the border, and for those of you who do not know, before leaving the USA with a vehicle, you must give customs 3 days warning, and fax them copies of all documentation proving you legally own the vehicle. They check out everything, to make sure there aren't any outstanding liens/loans on the vehicle. I did this.

When I arrived at Customs, the first guy to become available when I was at the front of the line (referred to as "Jackass" from this point forward) asks what I needed, I replied "I am exporting a vehicle". He asks for my paperwork, which I had ready to go. He asks if I faxed it over 72 hours in advance, which I did. He looks everything over until he comes across the "Manufacturers Statement of Origin". Jackass says "What's this" to which I replied "That is the manufacturers statement of origin". He says "What? What is that for? I need the title before I can do anything". I tried to explain that because I am from Canada, and it is a new vehicle, I do not need a title, nor can I get one without a fixed address within the USA. Jackass replies "I don't care where you are from (tosses my paperwork at me from across the counter) come back when you have a title" I replied "Sir, I am not a resident of the USA. Without a US address, I can not title any vehicle. The MSO works in place of a title when exporting a brand new vehicle". Again he says "I don't care. Get out of here. Go back to North Carolina title the vehicle, and then come back. I don't want to see you in here until you have a title. You are just trying to avoid state tax by not titling it". When I rebutted his dumbass closeminded response he interrupted me "I am not going to argue, get out of here". I grabbed my papers and left. I sat in my truck, mad as hell thinking to myself "Maybe this asshole is right? Maybe I didn't research this enough? Shit, what do I do now?" I went over all of my paperwork, and came across the part about the MSO replacing the Title. (Lucky for me, when I faxed my paperwork in, I sent it to both Portal, ND, and Sweetgrass MT crossings. If I didn't have enough time, I was going to head straight home, but if I made good time, I was going to go through Saskatchewan and visit friends, and my father who is very sick) I called up Sweetgrass and asked them if they had my paperwork. The man replied "Yes sir, I did it all myself, you have everything in order, we just need to stamp your MSO so the Canadian side doesn't give you a hard time" I let out a big sigh! I then explained to him my situation a Portal ND. He said the Customs Officer was out of line. He suggested I go back in and speak with someone else. When I did, Jackass was busy harassing someone else. A very friendly officer proceeded to help me. He looked over the paperwork, asked when I faxed it. Within 5 minutes I was done. He then said "Let's go see this new truck!". As soon as we were out of earshot of Jackass, I told him what happened, he replied "Yes, I heard". When I suggested that I wanted to go back in and get Jackass' name or badge number, he strongly urged me to leave, saying "that guy has a bad temper, don't worry about him, I will deal with it". I was so happy to be on my way, I thanked him many times before leaving.

Canadian Customs was a piece of cake. I showed all receipts, filled out the paperwork, and of course paid all the taxes! I was out of there 20 minutes later......the drive to Saskatoon was very relaxing!

I am very happy with the new Taco!

Also, as soon as I find an email address to complain about Jackass, I'll be all over that.

·
Registered
'10 2WD AC SR5
621 Posts
Savings

First of all ... congratulations on the new truck ... I know that you will enjoy it. :canada:

Now ... I have got to ask. How much did you save buying the truck in NC?

I'm looking at driving (gas), parking, airfare, hotels, your time, etc.

I'm sure it must have been a bundle.

Oh ya ..... :nopics:

We want pictures!

·
Softball God
07 Tacoma V6 SR5 DC
2,096 Posts
All I know is, one guy on there said he paid $45K for a Taco in Canada. Considering that's at least $15K more than here (depending on options), I'd say CK still saved a bundle after expenses.

Glad it worked out for you. You weren't too far from here (Myrtle Beach). Should've come down in a week for Can-Am days so we can relieve you of some more hard earned cash, lol!

·
Taco Yo!!
2005 Tacoma 4x4
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I did save a bundle on my new truck. I won't really say exactly what I got the truck for in an open forum, but I will say this.....

After including all of my costs (Hotels, gas to drive 2300 miles, meals, airline ticket, taxes and importation fee to Canadian customs) I have the truck landed (landed=legally imported to Canada, ready to drive) for a little less than what the MSRP Window sticker says!

When I priced out this truck locally back in November/December, window sticker indicated a 2008 4x4 Double Cab SR5 long bed was worth $38380. So I would say I saved around $8-10K over buying locally. I know Toyota Canada resently started giving out rebates.

On a side note, a co-worker of mine just bought a 2008 Tacoma Sport DC LB. His out the door price was over $40K. Like myself, and others have mentioned before, it's pretty tough to get Candian dealers to move on the pricing.

My local dealer is going to shit bricks when I show up with this one! They bitched about my last two!

Pics will follow! It's still sitting in my driveway waiting to go to the carwash. Probably do that today sometime!

First of all ... congratulations on the new truck ... I know that you will enjoy it. :canada:

Now ... I have got to ask. How much did you save buying the truck in NC?

I'm looking at driving (gas), parking, airfare, hotels, your time, etc.

I'm sure it must have been a bundle.

Oh ya ..... :nopics:

We want pictures!

·
Taco Time!
146 Posts
Congratulations and welcome home CK!
Now, how about I sell you a nice new CAN Cluster?
Let's have some pics when you finish making up to the Mrs.
I hope you loaded that truck box with gifts.

·
Taco Yo!!
2005 Tacoma 4x4
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Congratulations and welcome home CK!
Now, how about I sell you a nice new CAN Cluster?
Let's have some pics when you finish making up to the Mrs.
I hope you loaded that truck box with gifts.

Thanks! I am interested in a metric cluster, the part number I need is "83800 04D12"

Yep, I loaded up with goodies for my two girls! Wife is hard to buy stuff for, and the one thing I knew she wanted, I couldn't find.

Here are some pics:
(I am going to open a new thread to introduce my new licence plate!)

My sales guy and I!

My New Taco!

·
Taco Time!
146 Posts
Man, that is a nice pink shirt Kiemp is wearing!

You've got the smile seen only on the face of an expert importer who's just saved huge.

Nice truck !!!

So do I dare ask...
How about those rear springs?

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma TRD
112 Posts
All I know is, one guy on there said he paid $45K for a Taco in Canada. Considering that's at least $15K more than here (depending on options), I'd say CK still saved a bundle after expenses.

Glad it worked out for you. You weren't too far from here (Myrtle Beach). Should've come down in a week for Can-Am days so we can relieve you of some more hard earned cash, lol!
I'll be home (myrtle beach) this thursday!

·
Taco Yo!!
2005 Tacoma 4x4
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured out rather quickly after loading up at Costco in Chicago that my rear springs are weak. It bottoms out. You would think Toyota would've changed things up, so we don't have to keep bugging them.

Dante's Taco had his fixed up here. So I am going to ply him with some of the weak American beer I brought back, and get him to help me get my springs upgraded.

Man, that is a nice pink shirt Kiemp is wearing!

You've got the smile seen only on the face of an expert importer who's just saved huge.

Nice truck !!!

So do I dare ask...
How about those rear springs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good to see another Canuck going to the US to buy the truck. I too just brought mine in from Wash in early Feb. I had zero trouble at either border and I figured I saved $10-11k.
The only issue I had was with Ottawa and the RIV. I faxed them the paperwork the day I crossed into Canada, but they lost or misplaced the faxes. I finally faxed the copies while keeping the goof on the phone to ensure they had the paperwork. The inspection at Can Tire was a joke and took the poor guy 15 min to check the truck and 2 hrs to do the computer work.
I have since added the tube steps and bought an Aries bull bar off ebay. I have to slow down though as this site is costing me an arm and a leg, in the mods that are avail.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My 07 Dblcab cost me just over 40k CDN taxes in, it was bought in Canada without the BS of going to the US and putting up with that crap where in the he** are you buying that truck for $45kCDN.?? Someone seen him coming!! By the way are sure its an 08....I believe they changed the wheel design on the 08's. Your truck has the same wheels as my 07. I see in the pic your neighbor has your twin.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Congrats on the purchase. i cannot believe the jaskass at the border? and how they can be so wrong and still be an jackass. hard to believe they don't know how to do there job properly.

cheers
Warts

·
Taco Time!
146 Posts
My 07 Dblcab cost me just over 40k CDN taxes in, it was bought in Canada without the BS of going to the US and putting up with that crap where in the he** are you buying that truck for $45kCDN.??.
The BS is paying even 40 for a truck that is 30 or less in the US.

If you do your homework the process is very simple and painless. Even with the bad luck of meeting a US customs Jackall, CK had done his research and knew what was required to cross. An hour delay and CK was on his way with memories of a mini vacation and a great story and huge money still in his pocket that would otherwise have been foolishly given away to a local dealer for absolutely the same truck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
if you have the time, see if the Customs Svc has any electronic form for complaints... or send a letter.

I'm a federal employee and assholes like "Jackass" shouldn't be let loose without some scalding... even if you don't have a name etc., if you refer to the station, time, and note the name of the guy who was helpful, they'll be able to figure out who was on duty... I don't believe in letting buttheads like that skate.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts