Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '94 Camry 4cyl and I just rolled 140K. My wife and I have been the owners since 50k. It's been a wonderful car with no major problems.

Now, her father is an old school mechanic, who thought if you change the tranny fluid, then the tranny will die. I'm VERY weary about getting this done. Tranny changes fine now with no leaks at all. It still looks red but it has a slight odor to it (smells fresh compared to my HIGH mileage Monte Carlo Gbody).

What would you guys do in my situation??

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree. Having the fluid changed every 2 yrs is the normal maintenance interval. It usually involves dropping the pan and changing the little screen filter as well as the fluid itself and can only be a good thing for your tranny. Don't hesitate. Get it done.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Well, the theroy behind this one is simple.

If your tranny has any weakness to it, changing the fluid will bring out that weakness and youll know it shortly when the tranny dies.

but...

If you dont change it, the weakness is still there the tranny will die soon anyway.

My gen2's tranny crapped out within 5000 miles of me flushing it, and before i flushed it, it shifted fine. Basically, if the transmission is fine now, flushing it is only going to reveal how good it is. Not really anyway to tell.

·
Registered
1998 Camry CE
2,075 Posts
I am just about 50000mi behind your camry though.

I would consider a drain and fill ( about 2 - 3 qts)to be done now and that would replenish the fluid's additive agents, and slowly dissolve any gunk... with a flush and a full fill of new fluid, the detergents may be too aggressive and remove large pieces of gunk (sludge, etc) and that can clog up the valve body and fluid passages.

Take a clean jar and catch some of the drained fluid. Look to see if it is filled with particles, and if it smells bad (compared to new Dex-3 )

Drive it till your next oil change and do the same, and then after that drop the pan and clean the magnets and screen. Change the pan gasket too.

BTW that is what I am doing I am on the 3rd drain and fill in 7000km and will remove the pan in the spring... It is too cold right now.

·
The Cool Guy
Toyota Camry 02
2,573 Posts
should the fluid be changed though? i went to toyota and they said since my car is new using the new Type IV fluid that it shouldn't be changed for awhile......i'm at 54K miles now. what should i do?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,122 Posts
i changed mine at 130k and i bought my car at 80-90k and it was the same..still slams into 2nd..i did a full flush...been like 10k since it's working fine...just use good ATF not something you want to be cheap on

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.