Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum Shift Customs
Joined
·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people that complain about toyota not having a sports car will not be able to afford one anyways. I think that the problem lies in that when someone is a Mazda follower (as an example) they have a car to which they dream about, and mabee someday be able to afford. However when you are a loyoal Toyota follower you have a hard time purchasing a vehicle from another manufactuerer (wether it is better or not) just because you know the Toyota quality, and you know you are buying a quality inferior vehicle.

My question is, overseas where there is no Lexus, do people look up to the Altezza as their sports car? And we just cant see that they are made by the same company?
 

·
There is no substitute.
Joined
·
8,027 Posts
Hatch said:
Most people that complain about toyota not having a sports car will not be able to afford one anyways.
I've meant to make a post about the EXACT same thing.

I bet less than half the people who whine about Toyota new sportscar won't be able to afford one.


And yes, Altezza is considered a sports car in Asia. Almost all the one that I've seen there are modified.

Correction: Lexus is available in most of the world, except for Japan.
 

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
Joined
·
5,978 Posts
That is true. Most of the people that complain about shortage of sport cars, wouldn't even buy it. Surely a company isn't going to make a vehicle just because some ordinary everyday person, who won't buy it anyways, wants it in existence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,353 Posts
CamNub said:
I think they should make a turbo version at least. A turboed XRS would be bad ass and affordable. :thumbup:
Toyota already stated that they're moving away from turbocharged vehicles because the cost of insurance keeps rising, and will eventually kill the sales of the vehicle. They've also moved to superchargers, which are easier to maintain.
 

·
The Greatest
Joined
·
3,830 Posts
91MR2quickNA said:
Toyota already stated that they're moving away from turbocharged vehicles because the cost of insurance keeps rising, and will eventually kill the sales of the vehicle. They've also moved to superchargers, which are easier to maintain.
Easier to maintain and weak. They only add like 75 ponies. :(
 

·
Platinum Shift Customs
Joined
·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Isnt a 350Z reasonably equipped around $50kCA? and an IS300 is around the same price range fully loaded. So where is Toyota missing their sports car? Or is it because its a 4dr?
 

·
The Greatest
Joined
·
3,830 Posts
Hatch said:
Isnt a 350Z reasonably equipped around $50kCA? and an IS300 is around the same price range fully loaded. So where is Toyota missing their sports car? Or is it because its a 4dr?
Im not sure about canada. But to answer your second part of your question.

The thread is about TOYOTA missing a car. Not lexus. ;)
 

·
Platinum Shift Customs
Joined
·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not sure if you have noticed.......its the same company....for someone to come into my dealership to buy a Lexus they walk to the same desk as they would a Toyota. If you were in Japan would you still be complaining? "Toyota" would then have the Altezza...correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
30k for a 350z in the us.

see here is the thing about the lexus vs toyota. nissan owners have their choice. 350z or G35. tell me the difference besides 2 more seats. see the difference isint that great so a lexus badge vehicle is fine, but its nice to have a yota badged one.
 

·
There is no substitute.
Joined
·
8,027 Posts
Hatch said:
for someone to come into my dealership to buy a Lexus they walk to the same desk as they would a Toyota.
That's about to change. All the new Toyota / Lexus dealerships in Ontario are now separated. There was a new Lexus-only dealership just opened last year that there's no Toyota dealership attached to it.

Hatch said:
If you were in Japan would you still be complaining? "Toyota" would then have the Altezza...correct?
I wouldn't completely agree with that.

First of all, the price of a Altezza is similar to the price of a Camry in Asia.

Secondly, Altezza is marketed with 2 factory bodykits along with few limited edition models, whereas the IS in North America is advertised with leather seats and moonroof - luxury biased options.

Thirdly, Altezza is equipped with 3S-GE 4-cyl 2.0L dual VVT-i motor with 210hp. ie. Similar motor type like the RSX Type-S.

And plus the whole expensive car maintenance thing that attaches with any luxury brand, it's hard to persuade anyone, including me, to buy a "Lexus" IS300 than a "Toyota" Altezza.

Hatch: You work at a dealership?
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top