Toyota Nation Forum banner

1641 - 1660 of 1667 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Face it... the 5S will one day be the metric of reliability, for non-diesel motors. These motors, when taken care of, will last forever.

damn!!!!

330k? pretty impressive. why would a dealership take in a camry with 273k miles on it?
Because someone will buy it. If it had had proper oil changes and timing belts, there's still a few 100k miles left in it.

well let's calculate it. if a toyota had 1,000,000 miles on it: w/ it being 16 yrs old

every year: put 62,500 every year
roughly every month: put 5300 miles
every day: 171 miles

PERSONALLY, I WOULD DIE DRIVING THAT MUCH!:clap: :whatwhat: :lol:
There was a story floating around about someone doing greyhound rescue deliveries from S-FL, using an F-series, averaging 1k miles/day, broke 1mil in like 3-4 yrs? That's when they found out the odo would stop at 999999.9, and wouldn't flip over.

just broke 304k miles... might break 306k this month, if not, real close.

·
500,000 + Miles
411 Posts
500,000-Miles!

Hit the 500,000-mile mark!
2000 Solara 1MZ-FE
Two owners, 5,000-mile oil change interval with PZ 10W-30, FRAM (gasp!) oil filters, 25,000-mile air filter (FRAM) change interval

Funny thing is that it rolled over just a couple hundred feet from my driveway so it's out there now with exactly 500,000-miles showing on the odometer.

Here are some things I, or the one previous owner, have replaced:
Routine stuff like plugs, plug wires, brake pads, water pump (once), struts, etc.
The AC condenser was hit by a rock and replaced prior to 113,000 miles by the previous owner. No more freon has been added since and it still cools great.
A seal in the steering gearbox
Tie rods
an outer drive shaft
Front and dogbone engine mounts
Rear exhaust manifold
Alternator
Front cam seals and main seal
Timing belt tensioner and idler pulley (once)
Cam cover gasket (twice)
Rear bumper (got backed into while parked at a gas station)
Windshield (twice)

Things that have not been replaced:
Engine and transmission
Starter
Fuel filter
Radiator/Cooling fans
Power Steering pump
Wheel bearings
Rotors (never been turned either)
AC compressor
Exhaust system (with exception of rear manifold which cracked and had to be replaced)
Rack and pinion
Brake master cylinder

Burning over two quarts of oil between 5,000-mile oil changes and leaking enough oil to make a greasy spot below the flywheel but not enough to drip on the driveway. Check engine light is on for vapor errors and the downstream O2 sensor. Instrument panel all good except the "D" (Drive) light is burned out. Interior still looks great. Leather seats look great, dash is great, carpet is great, the arm rest has a big ole crack in it and the passenger visor vanity mirror completely fell apart recently. Head liner is in good shape. Driver side window motor went out (again). Exterior has assorted door dings and a couple of minor scrapes, one where I got too close to a wheel barrow handle in my driveway, and another where the previous owner got too close to a pine tree in their driveway.

Attachments

·
500,000 + Miles
411 Posts
I wish I could have a bumper sticker made along the lines of:

TOYOTA...
Going 300,000-Miles Beyond
Chevy's Wildest Dreams

I did add some bragging stickers to the back glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Hit the 500,000-mile mark!
2000 Solara 1MZ-FE
Two owners, 5,000-mile oil change interval with PZ 10W-30, FRAM (gasp!) oil filters, 25,000-mile air filter (FRAM) change interval

Funny thing is that it rolled over just a couple hundred feet from my driveway so it's out there now with exactly 500,000-miles showing on the odometer.

Here are some things I, or the one previous owner, have replaced:
Routine stuff like plugs, plug wires, brake pads, water pump (once), struts, etc.
The AC condenser was hit by a rock and replaced prior to 113,000 miles by the previous owner. No more freon has been added since and it still cools great.
A seal in the steering gearbox
Tie rods
an outer drive shaft
Front and dogbone engine mounts
Rear exhaust manifold
Alternator
Front cam seals and main seal
Timing belt tensioner and idler pulley (once)
Cam cover gasket (twice)
Rear bumper (got backed into while parked at a gas station)
Windshield (twice)

Things that have not been replaced:
Engine and transmission
Starter
Fuel filter
Radiator/Cooling fans
Power Steering pump
Wheel bearings
Rotors (never been turned either)
AC compressor
Exhaust system (with exception of rear manifold which cracked and had to be replaced)
Rack and pinion
Brake master cylinder

Burning over two quarts of oil between 5,000-mile oil changes and leaking enough oil to make a greasy spot below the flywheel but not enough to drip on the driveway. Check engine light is on for vapor errors and the downstream O2 sensor. Instrument panel all good except the "D" (Drive) light is burned out. Interior still looks great. Leather seats look great, dash is great, carpet is great, the arm rest has a big ole crack in it and the passenger visor vanity mirror completely fell apart recently. Head liner is in good shape. Driver side window motor went out (again). Exterior has assorted door dings and a couple of minor scrapes, one where I got too close to a wheel barrow handle in my driveway, and another where the previous owner got too close to a pine tree in their driveway.

Really cool! You certainly got your money's worth from starter, radiator and rear wheel bearings. It is a bunch of miracles that they can last that long.

·
Registered
4 Posts
94..belt snapped at 360k..and I had a new timing belt kit in the garage. Was just too lazy to do it..so I paid the price and replaced the motor. 😞

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Just an UPDATE!

Hello Good People!

Just wanted to update this thread to note that the 2nd Instrument Cluster is still working like a charm!

Okay, the original Cluster ended with 486,015 miles

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/103-camry-3rd-4th-gen-1992-1996-1997-2001-1st-gen-solara-1999-2003/1310833-1992-camry-xle-2-2-liter-auto-speedometer-tachometer-problem.html

The 2nd Cluster was acquired with 132,977 miles and today it is at 176,683 miles.

Calculating the Total Mileage:

------------------------
43,706 = Delta Mileage from 2nd Cluster.

Therefore, total Mileage:

+ 43,706
---------------------
529,721 Total Mileage Without Rebuilt History!

Video to prove that my 1992 Camry is still on the road!

·
Super Moderator
12,682 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's just mind-blowing, reading this thread. My '94 is sitting in the driveway, soon to be sold, at 339k mi. Too much underbody parts rust. Too much age - she's just tired. She's still running - and joined the list a while back. But I got a replacement Camry - a 2004 - with a mere 199500 miles. Good price on it, too. It's nice to have so many little things working again. I should be able to sell the '94, up here, for $1,000, or close to it. Anything that isn't a parts car sells for $1,000 around here. And, while Miss '94 is tired, and has lots of warts, she is STILL reliable. The body and suspension parts will be gone before the engine and tranny.

I'm jealous of some of y'alls cars, but with the new Camry, I'm doing ok. I'm replacing the gas filler neck (due to rust) on the old Camry now. I think I'll take some photos underneath to post here, to document what can go wrong on the way to a half-mill miles or better. She's been a good car, and deserves the memories.

·
Super Moderator
12,682 Posts
Okay, this should put me at #44 on the list. I've been waiting to crack the top 50! (I'm #52 in the list now.)

353,535.....Update me :)
List updated. I even rounded up!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
You guys have fun. My 2001 5SFE has only 136k miles. I might not be able to have the highest mileage, but I am probably one of the last man/car standing here, haha!

·
Got Miles?
5 Posts
I might make the list. My 1997 Camry 2.2 is still running at 389,000 miles. I should reach 400,000 around 4 months from now (June). Got the car in trade for some historic home restoration I did around 2010. It had almost 200,000 then. Never thought it would run this long.
A little follow up. 8-17-19 went to get the biennial smog check this morning. Flagged by the DMV to go to a test only station. If it doesn't pass I'm going to retire the car under the California Buy Back Program for around $1000. With nail biting anticipation the old bomber passed with slightly better marks then 2 years ago. The tech was astounded just as I was. He said he was stunned that a car with that many miles passed the older sniffer in the tail pipe test. With 403,300+ miles now it got a stay of execution from the grim reaper. So do I move up the ranking list joining the 400K Club?

·
Registered
25 Posts
After well over 1,600 posts, perhaps it might seem reasonable to consider a least miles list?

Some day I too hope to pass 500,000 miles- and those of you with these gorgeous high-mileage cars are to be praised- but after 26 years I only have a bit over 117,000 miles. So at this rate, I have to drive her another 89 years or so to hit the half a million mark. 😄

James T. Kirk is going to be born in around 214 years so maybe I can sell it to one his ancestors and HE can carry on.

1641 - 1660 of 1667 Posts