Toyota Nation Forum banner

--->The Offical Tacoma 4.0 Exhaust FAQ

80K views 51 replies 36 participants last post by  Livpool14 
#1 · (Edited)
Toyota Tacoma 4.0 Exhaust FAQ
It seems that new people to Toyota Nation are having a hard time finding good information. Well I have compiled a little “cheat sheet” for those who are considering a new exhaust. I put down what I know in hopes that it will help someone out. Remember, even though I put the best information I could find, prices change and I might have missed some things. If you find something I left out let me know.
Now then, let’s just dive on in. Your aftermarket exhaust systems are separated into three major sections; Headers/ manifold, Y-pipe, and cat back exhaust.

Headers
The first section, headers/manifolds, brings the exhaust gas from the engine to the main exhaust pipe. The stock system is called a manifold. You can upgrade your system here by converting to headers. The two main companies that make headers for the Tacoma are Doug Thorley and JBA.

Doug Thorley (DT) headers; Doug Thorley makes long tube and shorty headers. Long tubes give you more horse power but are not smog legal. You also have to buy O2 simulators to replace the stock sensors. If you don’t your check engine light will stay on. Shorty headers give an increase in power and are smog legal. The long tubes are completely bolt on. The short tubes require some welding. You can get these from Coast2Coast performance
Doug Thorley's website with video
Link to view install of long tubes (thanks to TRD sport from XR underground)
Coast2Coast's website

JBA Headers; JBA produces shorty headers made of 409 stainless steel. They are available in three different finishes depending on your application. You have to have these welded to your stock system about $350
JBA's headers link
Don't buy JBA Headers link

Summary; if you want power go with DT long tubes all the way. If you want a decent power gain while staying smog legal, DT short tubes are a smart buy.

Y-pipe
The only company that I know of that makes an upgrade to the stock Y-pipe is URD. It is a 3” stainless steel pipe that removes the catalytic converter. About $470

After Cat Exhaust
Usually the first upgrade people do to their exhaust system is an after cat exhaust system. There are many exhaust systems out there. More than I know, so I can only list the ones I do.

TRD; single exit, good tone. This system may not give you as much of a horsepower gain because this system maintains the stock exhuast diameter. Most other aftermarket systems increase the diameter of the piping to increase flow. More flow= more power. I'll post actual HP numbers when I find them. The cost for this system is around $340-$375

Banks; 3” Stainless steel single exit exhaust. Good deep tone. The cost for this system is from $410 to around $470. If you get this exhuast you should know that the hangers are mild steel and will rust. You can paint the hangers with hi temp engine paint to minimize this. A more expensive option is having your exhuast ceramic coated

Magnaflow; 3’ stainless steel single exit exhaust comes in @ around $450-$475 depending on application
Magnaflow review by Flat Spot

MBRP; Dual split side exit exhaust made ofT304 stainless steel. If you want dual exhaust this is the way to go. The cons are that the increase in power falls shorter than most 3” single exit exhausts and it is the most expensive of the group @ around $690. Haven't seen this exhaust in person but I heard that it sounds really good.

MBRP's Website with video

Flowmaster; Dual exit 2.5" pipes with dual mufflers and 3" stainless steel tips. $565
Flowmaster Tacoma exhuast website

Gibson; Stainless steel single exit exhaust around $450-$480

Jardine; URD’s main product line. They sell for around $270

JBA; there have been posts that say this system tends to rust.
JBA exhaust link

Borla;

Dynomax;
The Dynomax website
Dynomax ultraflow exhuast video (thanks to ShoeDR)

Summary; When I bought an after cat system for my truck I went with Banks. This doesn’t mean it’s the exhaust you should buy; it’s just the one I chose. I have known alt least one owner with each of the systems above and each owner liked the one he purchased. It really just comes down to preference.

Mufflers/Custom Bent Tubing
Many people have swapped out just the muffler or had a shop custom bend pipes for their trucks. If you've been looking at the pre-fabricated systems and they just don't give you what you want (such as tip placement, tip type, etc) then this is the route you should take. this route is also usually a little cheaper.

the most popular mufflers are Flowmaster and Magnaflow.
flowmaster 80 series muffler

If any one has clips they would like to share of one of these systems I will add them here.

spin tech #3332 sportsman street 2.5" center inlet to side outlet;
spin tech
spin tech 2
spin tech 3

O2 SENSORS SIMULATORS (O2 SIMS)
If you put long tube headers on your truck you need O2 sims. Your new headers are going to remove the first set of catalytic converters (pre cats.) This will change your O2 output and set off your check engine light.
Two companies make O2 sims;

URD; If you buy these along with the long tubes from URD you can get them for $29. The only downside is that you have to cut and splice some wires.
URD's website

Empire Performance and Offroad; more expensive but completely bolt on. Most people order #1303 but you can get #1304 about $140 to $170
Empire's website

The end. :)

I'm still working on this. I'll try to get more links and more information when I get time. If anyone wants to give info or opinions I'll appreciate it.

Help: If you have an aftermarket exhuast, help out new members by posting the following;
type of exhuast, cost, place purchased, and a rating from 1-10 (10 being the best). I'll put all of your info into the FAQ and make it even better.
If you have had a bad experience with an exhuast post that as well. It may keep someone from making the same mistake.:thanks:

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks jubrown57;this is why I love TN !So many knowlegable people sharing useful info..The down side is my bank account is being hammered.

Reactions: eeklipzz
#8 ·
i thought there were people that dynoed their truck with a TRD exhaust and possibly a TRD intake and gained some power?

i havent been here for a while so i cant remember much.
is there anyone that can clarify that statement about the TRD not giving the truck a gain in power.

#9 ·
I think that the TRD might give you an increase, just not as much as other aftermarket exhuast systems. Mostly becuase of pipe size. I've heard the TRD has the same size piping as the stock exhuast. Most aftermarket systems go up to a bigger size pipe.

#12 ·
true, Maybe the OP can change this and update it as needed. :thumbup:

#20 ·
how's about the info for the stock exhaust? it seems that a lot of people just want to swap out the muffler. there's been a lot of conflicting info regarding the correct diameter of the stock piping and proper aftermarket diameter and inlet/outlet configurations.

from what i've read, an aftermarket diameter of 2.5" (with stock being around 2.3") with a center inlet, offset outlet would work best. correct me if i'm wrong, especially since thats what i'm planning on going with!

#28 ·
2.5" is good. the shop i got my exhaust set up said that going up to 3" will cause a loss of power bc of not enough back pressure, especially since we only have a v6 (or for some, the 4 banger).

#21 ·
Everyone with the TRD cat back liking it? I've heard good things and it's not too loud also..thinkig about getting it

#22 ·
I just got a new '08 Sport and had the dealership install the TRD Catback exhaust. I love it but unfortunately can't give you any comparisons as I haven't heard any others. It's definitely louder than stock but IMO not too loud.

#23 ·
he forgot to mention the DT shorty header...since JBA just sucks, IMO, as i have their exhaust, and it would have required replacing if i hadn't painted it. Sounds good enough though.

#24 ·
Flowmaster

If anyone is running their spare tire on their bed or is crazy enough and be willing to use the spare tire space and install a Camaro-Flowmaster 2 chamber would no doubt be enjoying an awesome sound. The bore's on these pistons are huge and pumping a lot of air. The tunes coming out of the tail pipes would be nasty.

I had one on my L6(250) and it was the most aggressive sounding of MANY systems (short and long) that I have tried (all Flowmaster mufflers). Unfortunately, I had to replace it because of an installation of a poly gas tank. Beats having the tank inside the cab! Crazy engineers back in the days...

The modsta has to add this muffler to the Flowmaster list for hardcore 4wd rigs who carry their spare on their bed.:thumbup:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/80_series.html

#27 ·
FYI, I drove and FJ with and TRD catback with 45K at the dealership the today.. The exhaust is not loud at all, louder then stock but barely.. you can headly tell it's there over the noise of the motor.. you can tell outside a little.. I was hoping for a little bit louder but I guess not.. of well.. I'd like to hear a magnaflow too..

#34 ·
short answer (im assuming URD Y pipe) yes.

but good god on the thread ressurection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.