Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Thanks, but why didn't Toyota just put the overflow hole a little higher to eliminate the need to keep it idling? They could have simplified the entire process. I think I know the answer to that. Service revenue.
Is screwing the plug back into the pan before starting the vehicle, then removing it again when the vehicle reaches proper temp really a deal breaker?
We're talking about maybe 30 seconds worth of work here?

As for the keeping it idling part to check the level, just about every AT vehicle out there has to be idling in either neutral or park to properly check the fluid level. Many of the GM products has this written directly on the dipstick. 99% of the population just pulls the stick when parked with the engine off, not even aware that they are doing it wrong.

·
Take off, eh!
1,430 Posts
^ +1 - our <cough> Dodge Minivan <cough> T/F dipstick has the check instructions printed right along it's length (about must be idling in park)

D

·
Registered
'07 Tacoma
110 Posts
Great write up, did the procedure last week with no problems!!

I also did it a couple years ago with just a copy of the factory service manual. But I couldn't figure out how to get into the temp check mode. Turns out (if this hasn't already been discussed) that the manual says that the "D" light is what you use for the temp check mode, which is wrong. But your write up, correctly says to use the "A/T Temp" light. So when I did it the first time I may have been in the temp check mode but didn't realize it because I was looking at the wrong light/gauge. I ended up just draining it and refilling with 3 qts. This time around, I drained a little less than 3 qts and filled with somewhere around 3-3.5 qts.

Thanks again for the awesome write up!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have an 06 Tacoma 4-door 4wd with a 5-speed automatic. After looking at the transmission, I see the drain plug, the fill plug and the overflow, but I also see a drain and a fill plug on the back of the transfer case..?

I was under the impression that the transmission and transfer case shared the same fluid on the automatics, but now I'm not so sure. Do you happen to know if they are separate systems?

Thanks for any info..

Vince

·
My Other Truck
3,814 Posts
I was under the impression that the transmission and transfer case shared the same fluid on the automatics, but now I'm not so sure. Do you happen to know if they are separate systems?
They are definitely separate cases.... if fluid is shared between them, you got a heap'o trouble.

Oh, welcome to TN from NorCal!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the info.. Do you happen to know if the transfer cases also uses WS ATF, or does it use a heavier gear lube like 80W 90?

·
My Other Truck
3,814 Posts
Thanks for the info.. Do you happen to know if the transfer cases also uses WS ATF, or does it use a heavier gear lube like 80W 90?
75W-90, same as the differentials. Check your owner's manual or the maint. sticky at the top of the main Tacoma page.
The sticky has a couple great links with pics & detailed instructions.

·
Registered
08 dbl cab 4X4
8 Posts
Just did this at 45,000 miles. Trans fluid wasn't too bad. Transfer case fluid was pretty clean, front and rear difs were horrible and had about 3/16" of sludge sticking to the magnetic drain plugs. Precision Toyota in Tucson wanted $340 to flush trans (13qt of atf ws was included) and $55-$75 for the other gearboxes.
to be considered....if you live in a warm climate like I do (102 degrees today) and you drive the truck to the dealership in the morning plan on setting a couple of fans under truck and killing about 5 HOURS for all that metal to get below 115 degrees so you can do the temp check!

·
Take off, eh!
1,430 Posts
Just to clarify: did you do this yourself, or did they charge you $340 :eek:

·
Registered
08 dbl cab 4X4
8 Posts
I do drain & flushes on commercial aircraft for nowhere near what toyota gets for 2.5 hrs of labor so there was no way in hell I was going to give them $340. I was there to pick up the ATF and crush gaskets just figured i'd ask for price because I had a rare Monday off and a Polaris 850XP that needs to be broke in.

·
Registered
08 dbl cab 4X4
8 Posts
I do drain & flushes on commercial aircraft for nowhere near what toyota gets for 2.5 hrs of labor so there was no way in hell I was going to give them $340. I was there to pick up the ATF and crush gaskets just figured i'd ask for price because I had a rare Monday off and a Polaris 850XP that needs to be broke in.
At $150 I would have scheduled the service and hit the trails....but $340 plus tax is more than twice what I paid to do all four cases myself!

·
Take off, eh!
1,430 Posts
:thumbsup: Right on - that's what I was hoping to hear. I'm a full-on DIYer myself, so am totally on board with you there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I performed a drain and refill of my 5-speed AT on 2007 DC Prerunner tonight after installing my new Hayden cooler this past weekend and I wanted to emphasize the fact that more of the ATF drains back to the transmission pan after the engine is shut off.

Unfortunately, I only realized this after I took my drain pan out from under the truck to retrieve my overflow plug that I had dropped into it. After I got the plug out of the old fluid, I came back to the truck and found a significant amount of ATF on the concrete. Thank goodness I bought 4 qts of WS instead of just 3. After a lengthly spill cleanup, and another 30-45 mins of adding fluid and checking AT Temp/fluid level, I was done.

Also, I wanted to mention that after doing this fluid change, I feel like the transmission is definitely running different. It may just be psychological, but two things the transmission does now, that I don't recall it doing in a long time, is downshifting on a steep downgrade and "disengaging" from gear when coming to a stop. I had forgotten how much I missed the downgrade downshift (helps to slow down) and the new feeling of coming to a stop will take some getting used to.

Anyone have any thoughts about the feeling that the transmission disengages when stopping? It only happens at <5 mph and the transmission doesn't feel like it reengages, and there is no hesitation either on startup.

·
'Coma Nut
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I can't help you with your question, but I would like to hear more regarding your cooler install, such as model number, how you installed it, etc. I'm getting a few miles on my truck now and think an ATF cooler might be just the ticket to help extend the AT life.

Thanks...

·
Registered
06 Taco 4x4 TRD
796 Posts
I don't think the transmission disengages at a stop, at least mine doesn't. I get a couple hundred more rpm if I slide into neutral, so it's definitely in gear under load.

I do feel the 2-1 downshift as I get close to a stop, and there's a little bump in rpm as the slippage increases and then it engages in the lower gear. Maybe that's what you detect? But the rpm goes back down again as I continue slowing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My '06 Tacoma TRD has had an intermittent problem with the 5-speed A/T since bought with 82K on it. I have noticed that since servicing the transmission, and cold weather, it seems to be less prevalent. Basically, as noted in other Tacoma forums, when I come to a stop, occasionally it will not shift down. Sitting at a stop with my foot on the brake it will shift into low and feel like some small car just tapped you in the rear end, lurching forward against the brakes. Again, Toyota will not admit to this defect.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My '06 Tacoma TRD has had an intermittent problem with the 5-speed A/T since bought with 82K on it. I have noticed that since servicing the transmission, and cold weather, it seems to be less prevalent. Basically, as noted in other Tacoma forums, when I come to a stop, occasionally it will not shift down. Sitting at a stop with my foot on the brake it will shift into low and feel like some small car just tapped you in the rear end, lurching forward against the brakes. Again, Toyota will not admit to this defect.
trlong1,

it seems I remember reading an article on the interweb about a symptom like this. It seems I was trying to find opinions on flushing the transmission and found an article about it. I think I just googled A750E flushing..or something like that.

EDIT
Found the article: http://www.gearsmagazine.com/view.ashx?article=9df300bc-7072-436d-af4b-f3979ac43fd7
"The most common complaint we hear on the ATRA HotLine about this transmission is it falls out of gear when coming to a stop, then slams back into gear, sometimes so hard that it feels like someone has rear-ended you."

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't think the transmission disengages at a stop, at least mine doesn't. I get a couple hundred more rpm if I slide into neutral, so it's definitely in gear under load.

I do feel the 2-1 downshift as I get close to a stop, and there's a little bump in rpm as the slippage increases and then it engages in the lower gear. Maybe that's what you detect? But the rpm goes back down again as I continue slowing.
I didn't feel it today. It must have just been a psychological thing after changing the trans fluid. I am concerned about the lurching issue discussed in the article I posted, though my truck is definitely not to that point.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts