2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
first full tank of taco juice in Stuart at pump 1 = 1st gen ftw

and a 200200 fwiw

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Did you ever replace the bushing and seat in the shifter, really helped when my T was being a PIA going in to reverse.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Not only can you just replace that bushing with the OEM Toyota plastic piece but a company makes a brass version that is practicaly good forever compared to the plastic piece.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I can tell you from experience 25 years is easily doable as is 300K easy with Mobil-1 5W30 and Rotella T6 5W40. In fact it never needed to have the valve adjustment/shims added/replaced.

Likewise plenty do 300K with 3000 mile oil changes and what ever bulk oil your garage has or you use!

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Not only can you just replace that bushing with the OEM Toyota plastic piece but a company makes a brass version that is practicaly good forever compared to the plastic piece.
Who? :cool:
I'm using the set from Marlin Crawler.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Around 1995 I had him rebuild a transmission for me for my 4Runner and ship it too me. I used Downey Clutch kit back then Marlin was not offering his own kits with Aisin pressure plates, Seco friction disk and Nadachi bearing. My Cam was custom cut to my spec.'s by Crane Cam's. It is funny because I came to that same combo before he started selling it in time. Back then I did a lot of work on Toyota 4x4's for people when I was into off-roading and rock crawling. I used to do a lot of work to MR2 and Supras but just mild tuning and a lot of maintenance and OEM repairs. When you are going through parts like crazy you get a feel for what you like rather quickly.

In fact in college a parts store was going out of business and I ended up leaving that place with 4 shopping carts full of clutch kits, starters, alternators, steering gears, Temkin wheel bearings. fuel injectors, distributors etc....I basically told them I want every part in this place that will fit any Toyota. To give you an idea of the prices I think I was getting clutch kits for $15, Starters for $20, Timing set for $9 etc.....That is why I left with 4 shopping carts from another store full of parts.

Marlincrawlers double transfercase was incredible because it was affordable and gave you so much advantage. The Atlas was far more expensive and in a stock engined Toyota in my book did not give much benefit to $Bucks$.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Did you ever replace the bushing and seat in the shifter, really helped when my T was being a PIA going in to reverse.
shifter seems to be hanging in there relatively well other than a sticky throw into 2nd from 1st, not many problems putting into R, just occasionally sticky stubborn stick

i was referring more to the pedal not fully returning, it gets stuck halfway back and have to use my foot under to get it back up, but this only is happening in reverse and often while only slowly backing up short inclines. more than a year ago i sprayed the mechanism under there with Nut-Z lube to stop the squeak (and still no squeak!) but that induced a certain sounding 'plastic chunking' sound every time the foot hits it seems. I've looked at diagrams of what parts makes up that assembly. perhaps this is why its not fully returning but What. Do. I. Know.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1st concentrated green soapy/hand-mit-scrub/regular soapy/rinse/clean-spot-free-rinse
some summer buggy splatter still remained, though :(

I wish these oe wheels were not nearly $400 each, even after online parts dept. discount

Reactions: sdspeed

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Have you crawled under your dash and throughly inspected the clutch pedal bracket especially the sides. They tear out and yours is doing what mine did when the bracket had about a 1/2" tear in the side allowing it to twist when depressing the clutch pedal. It was easier to spot when someone would depress the pedal while i looked at the bracket. Super common issue. Also, where the Clutch master bolts to the firewall the firewall will get radial cracks and fine tears that allow the firewall to flex and takes the master out of alignment. Noise, pedal and shifting issues with either one.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Have you crawled under your dash and throughly inspected the clutch pedal bracket especially the sides. They tear out and yours is doing what mine did when the bracket had about a 1/2" tear in the side allowing it to twist when depressing the clutch pedal. It was easier to spot when someone would depress the pedal while i looked at the bracket. Super common issue. Also, where the Clutch master bolts to the firewall the firewall will get radial cracks and fine tears that allow the firewall to flex and takes the master out of alignment. Noise, pedal and shifting issues with either one.
I've used a mirror to 'sorta' see what's going on with the lubrication, which was awkward backwards as heck i recall
maybe i will try to set up the video recorder on the tablet and push with the hand or just unscrew the lower paneling if that comes out easily to get an eye set straight at it

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,862 Posts
Lube won't fix a torn bracket. I found for my achey old body kneeling outside and looking up i can see the bracket easily. No need to take anything apart.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
a taco buddy in Denver claims that his front wheel bearings are still originals at over 600k.
so what happened that my driver front bearing failed and disintegrated so darned early before 200k. did some some foreign matter penetrate the seal(s) to premature wear?

this is his truck he bot about 10 days before i bot mine ~500 miles away lol

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
new black wrenches for black truck !

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
... could use some new shoes on the taco, although current shoes are at 10/32 nds tread last they measured at DT

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
6-27-21
AC system check service on tap tomorrow, it's been about 8 years since last

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Plugs

Need rocker panel plugs to replace the glued cover flaps