Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
7-20-21

Hi all, this is my relatives sharp 2o11 Barcelona red truck, it needs a good wash and fender/bumper dressing, it has new Falkens and 54k miles on the automatic. hand crank windows no cruise, just basic as it gets
had it since nearly new and bot from somewhere in SE Minnesota. dealer rubberized undercoating/rustproofing was applied to 'most' of the frame area

I was giving it a good & quick lookover, starting in the engine bay, and have noticed its turning into rusted pile of crap, at such a low mileage (n)
currently I have my hands and brain overfilled with my own truck and small car dealing with the rust mitigation and future prevention
and DO NOT have the capacity to start looking into where this gen Taco needs the extra attention, its overwhelming.
from the looks of the engine bay and the rust all over the brake tube line fittings in there and also various screws and other fasteners this is going to take extra time to drill down i am thinking

have ye any experience or knowledge about where the worst spots are going to be on these trucks?
body panels?
frame areas?
engine bay?
other .... ?
those wheels also have bad spots popping themselves up

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frame recall. Not sure if I said it, certain undercoating can be worse than not undercoating.
i do not look forward to crawling under there for pics and inspection, i have only looked through the wheel wells, what is 'visible'
the frame is of a different design than mine that i may after 2+ years know quite intimately ;)
body panels are also of a different design than the old toyota trucks that i grew up longing for one and know where they ROT, so i keep mine clean as possible and has paid dividends lol

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frame recall. Not sure if I said it, certain undercoating can be worse than not undercoating.
oh yes, i forget to mention that a letter was sent to them for frame inspection but it has not been taken in yet
i wanna know all the ins and outs first so those hacks don't pull a fast one

·
Registered
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
13,521 Posts
oh yes, i forget to mention that a letter was sent to them for frame inspection but it has not been taken in yet
i wanna know all the ins and outs first so those hacks don't pull a fast one
Don't know. Rust = Free Frame. Assuming they still allow it.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
276 Posts
Bring that truck in NOW because the frame warranty is good for 12 years from date of first use (i.e. when first registered). After which you will get NADA.

The place where the rust usually starts on the frame is over the passenger side catalytic converter. The AC condenser drain is right over this spot. Constant moisture + heat + nooks & crannies = rust.

·
Registered
2001 Avln, 2009 Taco
276 Posts
Also, the frame MUST BE REPLACED if there is a 12cm rust perforation in the frame. Hope that there is a rusty hole (you might want to inspect it and find any holes before you bring it in). Otherwise, Toyota will only paint rust preventative (called CRC) on the frame (and it will rust faster).

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bring that truck in NOW because the frame warranty is good for 12 years from date of first use (i.e. when first registered). After which you will get NADA.

The place where the rust usually starts on the frame is over the passenger side catalytic converter. The AC condenser drain is right over this spot. Constant moisture + heat + nooks & crannies = rust.
thanks for the reply

there is (or was) a sorta thick rubber undercoating around that area by the cat
it looks like some has peeled already

·
Registered
06 Taco, 2010, 2021 Venza
78 Posts
Get it to a dealer PRONTO for inspection.....your frame warranty is done after 12 years from the first date of service. A frame replacement is just like getting a new truck...ask me how I know. ;)
Use a dealer that has a pile of rusted out frames stacked outside.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
date of first service is March 2o11
honestly i would like for them to NOT spray new coating stuff onit, i have been well-versed on that rubber-based stuff after dealing with my '97 truck and seeing online videos of ziebart stuff
and would rather them to REMOVE all that stuff they sprayed on at 500 miles per the carFax, so that i can apply my own sheepfat coating woolwax HV that I have had good results using on my truck so far

1. Baxter Toyota La Vista
    Date
    03/10/2011
    Odometer
    524mi
    Services Performed
    • Vehicle serviced
    • Fabric protection applied
    • Undercoating/rustproofing applied

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when its taken into the dealer for frame inspection do they stick a borescope camera inside the cavities to see what is going on in there and advise you?
or do they just take a pick and hammer and pound around in spots

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is not this truck but definitely a spot by muffler will need to check

1 - 12 of 12 Posts