Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, Id like to apologize for ranting in my last post. The reason for the whole outburst is that Tc's are rattle traps, and they probably always will be. Id really like to take care of people's problems but when things are set up for failure from the very beginning the outcome is never good. I have had several people ask me why I do not go ahead and fix the problem anyway, and the answer to that is simple. The reason I do not go ahead and fix it is because I would not get paid for doing anything other than the TSB the customer mentioned because the warranty lady will consider it a add on repair, and again, this is my job and in order to pay my bills I must get paid for the work I do. Would you go to work and clock out at 2pm and continue to work till 5pm for free?

Since the release of the sunroof pop TSB it seems that our shop has been swamped with people complaining of a sunroof pop / rattle / crackle and saying they know of this TSB and wanting this TSB preformed. Where I get so upset with this whole deal is that, like I said, it has been my experience that only about 25% of the vehicle actually have this problem. That percentage comes form working on 2 - 4 Tc's a day for various reasons, and during test drives I have started to take my own personal tally of how many cars have this noise, and it is rather distinctive once you have heard it a few times.

Im going to let you all in on a easy way to tell if this is your actual problem. It is easy and only takes a pocket screw driver, a torx bit and 15 minutes.

1. Completely open your sunroof and go the drivers side of your sunroof and look at the side railing.

2. Note a 2 piece springing plastic rail that runs the full side length of your sunroof, this rail is attached at the front by a torx bit.

3. Take out the torx screw and gently push the rail in untill you can see and have access to a philips head screw below the mounting point of this rail. You will have to see and access this screw at an angle because the front sunroof mounting frame will be directly above it.

4. Check to see if this screw it tight, use common sence, if you use enough strength with this screw of course you will tighten it more or back it off, your looking to see if it is completely loose, as in requires no effort at all to turn the screw. The screw threads are fine and the metal it screws into is alumnium so it is only supposed to be so tight or else you strip out something.

5. If screw is tight the sunroof pop TSB does NOT apply to your vehicle, the cause of your noise is something else. If the screw is loose then just LEAVE IT BE and set an appointment to get the noise fixed. Since the screw sits at an angle you will probably round off the head tightening it down, I have a special screwdriver to get between the sunroof frame and screw to tighten it for you. But when you set the appointment PLEASE dont say "hey I want the sunroof TSB preformed"........... Just go to the Service Advisor and say you have a rattle from here, and point to the drivers front corner of the sunroof.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Very good write up. I'll definetly refer this thread to any of my customers that have this problem. :thumbup: Is there any info like this on www.scionlife.com ? I'm sure they'll like to know this info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thank-you Toyota-tech, I also hate people coming in with tsb numbers and think they know what is wrong. Also don't you just love the labor times for the add-ons on the scions? We'll never make money on theses p.o.s's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be good news for you.

I just got my tC in mid October (Build # 20,xxx) and it is COMPLETELY rattle free and comparatively very quiet (@ 500 miles).

Much more rattle free and quiet than my old MKIV Jetta and 10X quieter than my girlfriends '02 Civic.

I am very anal when it comes to squeaks, rattles and road noise, and this car rivals my parents 02' Audi A6 when it comes to that.

Perhaps these later build dates (Mine was Early October I beleive) will provide some relief to you.

(Knock on wood)

·
Registered
35 Posts
yotatech said:
labor times for the add-ons on the scions? We'll never make money on theses p.o.s's.
Just a question. If you don't like the cars, they why would you work for Toyota? Makes no sense to me. Seems to me that you need to find a different car dealership to work for where you may care more for the product that you are working on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts