Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
SCCA Tech Services
2005 Corolla S
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as most real Toyota fans know the founder of Toyota spelled there name Toyoda however it is spelled Toyota for the company and with me as well as most toyota fans the question has always been why did they change the name. Well reading my 50 year history book I have found out the truth. Now This is a quote from the book "Kiichiro was aware of the importance of a brand name, so in July(1936) the company ran a contest for suggestions for a new Toyoda logo. There were over 20,000 entries. The winning entry consisted of katakana characters in a design that imparted a sense of speed. In the logo, "Toyoda" became "Toyota" because as a design it was esthetically superior and because the number of strokes is a felicitous number, suggestive of increasing prosperity. It also sounded better."
Now we can all know what we are talking about a little bit more when we tell people about Toyota.

·
1993 Camry XLE
93 CamXLE/73 Lincoln
1,083 Posts
And then life became clear... For the very first time.:lol:
j/k. I didn't know that, that's pretty cool.

·
Black since 1985
97 Camry
2,468 Posts
They're was something more to it.. it was discussed on TN somewhere before.. they didn't like the D for some reason either

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
weird i never knew it was toyoda even

·
'09 iQ Diesel
iQ
792 Posts
The name was Toyota in stead of Toyoda from the beginning because the number of strokes symbols luck. Every Toyota fan knew that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts