Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 19 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
what effects on the ride when you go from 16 to 18's with proper tire size?
You will have to go with a smaller sidewall to keep the overall diameter of you wheel/tire the same as stock setup. This will cause your ride to be a bit more rough. You want the overall diameter to be about the same so it will have as little effect on your speedometer as possible. About 3% is an acceptable tolerance.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Whos gonna be the guinea pig and find out whats the widest wheel us stock suspension guys can fit?
everyone so far with nice offsets are the guys on coils....
No one has to be a test subject to figure out how wide you can go on stock strut with drop springs, you just have to do some measuring and some math. Lets take a stock 4 cylinder SE trim and go from there. I will deal in inches and millimeters here because that is how wheels and offset is measured and it makes it easier.

The stock SE wheels measure 7" wide and have an offset of +45. Keep in mind that some of the following numbers are theoretical but directly relate to real world. Lets take the back wheels for instance. There is about a 35 mm gap between the fender and the wheel. And lets say there is a 25 mm gap between the inside of the wheel and the spring. You want to keep the tire about 8 mm away from the spring just to be on the safe side. So with that you have about 17 mm of space between the spring and the wheel, 25 mm - 8 mm = 17 mm.

Now you take your measurements and convert, there is 25 mm in an inch, 35 mm + 17 mm is 52 mm so you can fit about 2 more inches of wheel in there without hitting the spring or the fender. But you cant just buy a 9" wheel with +45 offset and call it a day. Remember, by your measurements you have less space in the rear and more in the front so you have to center the wheel in the space by adjusting the offset.

So to figure out the best offset for a flush look you will have to look at your measurements. You figured out a 9" wheel would be the largest so that adds 1", 25 mm, of wheel to both sides over stock. Remember that you only can go about 17 mm toward the spring to be safe and you have about 35 mm of space between the fender and the wheel. You just added 25 mm to both sides of the wheel. So you need to subtract 10 mm of wheel from strut side and add 10 mm of wheel to the fender side to make it sit right. That will tell you that the wheel needs to move toward the fender 10 mm so you take your stock +45 mm and minus 10 mm and it gives you +35 mm.

So by this example the best setup for SE 4 cylinder on stock struts and drop springs would be a 9" +35 offset wheel in the rear. Remember, when you have a higher number offset you are pushing the wheel inward toward the spring. When you have a lower number offset you are pushing the wheel outward toward the fender.

A note: The numbers that I mentioned above for the space between the wheel and spring and the space between the fender and the wheel are theoretical. All you have to do is measure the space and replace with the actual numbers and you can proceed with the calculations.

·
Registered
543 Posts
guys, i don't know jack about wheels. i drive a toyota sienna and wanted to get 20s on there. looking for concave wheels like Vossen CV3 but not as expensive. i found these STR 607s.
http://www.str-racing.com/products-page/str-racing-wheels/str-607-silver/
question is should i go 20x9 or 20x10.5? i want square setup but don't know what offset to get either.
Check out the link below. Its in the Sienna forum, you should really ask them. The Sienna can fit some serious wheels with some serious offset. Kinda jelly...

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/2...l-3rd-generation-sienna-picture-thread-4.html

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah thats to wide for stock struts. You would have to run coilovers and some mean camber. I mean over an I4 camry se wheel your adding 43mm to both side of the wheel. That is not even going to fit on the fender side. Widest you could go without coilover and fender work would be a 8.5 maybe 9 depending on the offset.

·
Registered
543 Posts
As far as the wheel width and tire combo your good. You will end up going 14mm toward the strut and 19mm toward the fender. I would add a 5mm spacer in the rear for a more flush look. If you want a super flush look go with a +30 with a 5 mm spacer in the rear. I'm not sure how flush you should go with that size of wheel. There leaves very little travel between the tire and fender. I highly doubt you will run into any wheel rub with those combinations but if you do a simple roll should be good.

·
Registered
543 Posts
For 18s, look at some of the guys with dropped V6 camrys and still have stock wheels. Thats pretty much what it look like. The camry has some large fenders, not like an older civic or integra where you would put a 17 and it would be the limit or 15" Work Equip 03 looks bad ass (ohh yeah bringing it back). To me 18s look on the smaller side. To me 18s on this car would make me think why did you skimp out and get wheels to small? To me 19s are the way to go. 20s are a tiny bit on the big side but still good.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The ride will be a tiny bit more firm but you will not notice unless you really concentrate on it. The stock SE wheels come with 55 series tires so that right there will keep it soft and since you have an LE with softer suspension that will make it more smoother. If your really worried about it you could get 60 or 65 series tires but that would look weird, almost SUV status. In the end you will not notice any difference.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Your fine with what you want and how you plan to go, SE wheels with some goodyear all-seasons. Just get something that is unidirectional so you can rotate them properly and your good to go. Look for take-off wheels, mostly on eBay. Some sites sell them too. These are the stock wheels that a dealer or wheel shop got from a car they put aftermarket wheels on. They clean them up and resell them. Most times they are very clean and have very little miles on them. They cost no where near what a new wheel would cost.

Yeah, the alloys are a little lighter then the stealies you have.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does anyone know if these will fit our Camry?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4315862541.html

Thanks in advance.
With these, I would measure the space between the stock wheel and spring. The front would be fine but, the backs would go in 16 mm over stock 18". From what I heard the space from the spring to the stock wheel is about 19 mm but measure to make sure first. I would also do a 5 mm spacer all around, maybe even a 10 mm in the rear. This would give it a more flush look and definitely make them fit.

·
Registered
543 Posts
OK, lets start at your stocker wheels and tires. You can get a set of those on eBay for about $600, they are called take offs. Basically a wheel set that a dealer or wheel and tire shop took of a car to put aftermarket stuff on. They flip the stock wheels for pretty cheap. For your case it depends on if you want to sell the tires with it too. I don't know the condition of your tires, but I would say you have about 4,000 on them? That $500 is good for just the wheels but who would want wheels without the tires. So, with tires I would say about $750ish maybe $800, depending on condition and milage.

Now for some aftermarket wheels. You would start with what diameter you want, I personally like 19" on these cars. Stick with 18" if you want a little more comfort to you ride since you can fit more side wall tire in there. I have seen as big as 22" on these Camrys; its ultimately up to you. Search the site for pics on different sizes and how they look, they are all over.

Once you choose a size then you have to take into account a couple of things; are you going to leave the stock suspension, put drop springs, or put coilovers. When you put wheels and tires on that are any bigger then stock it make it look like a 4x4, so a drop would be nice. Suspension will dictate what width and offset of tire you will get. Stick with stock suspension or a drop spring, you can get a wheel that is 1-2 inches wider then stock. Get coilovers you can go as much 3" wider over stock wheel width.

Wheel width and wheel offset go and in hand. With offset the higher the number the more inward the wheel will move, toward the strut. The lower the number the more outward a wheel will move, toward the fender. Example, you have two wheels, 8" +40 mm and 8" +30 mm. The 8" +30 mm will stick out more toward the fender then the other by 10 mm. There are many calculators and tutorials on the web to figure out offset vs. wheel width; TireRack.com has a pretty good one. Just so you have a starting figure, your stock wheels are 18" x 7.5" +45 mm. Earlier in this thread I put how to figure out wheel width and offset so you get a good fitment.

For tires, it would depend on the wheel width you get. There are many pictures and suggestions on the internet on what tire sizes fit on a certain width wheel. Then you have certain looks and ways to fit larger wheel widths by adjusting the width of your tire. A lot of VW, Audi, BMW, drift Nissans, and drift cars in general will do this. There is a stretch look to the wheel, fitting a skinny width tire on a wider wheel. This will help the tire to clear the fender and not rub. Again, internet has a crap load of pictures and suggestions.

·
Registered
543 Posts
KnightRyderx2

I appreciate all the information you provided. I thought about responding to all the information you provided previously but I didn't want to spam the wheel section. All in all, thank you so much for all the tips. You helped guide me in the right direction and I ended up making a decision on going with Motegi's for the wheels. They just came in today and are now all installed. America's Tires were more than willing to spray my calipers as well. Here's couple photos.
Hey man, no problem at all. I know when dealing with wheels and tires it can seem a bit overwhelming with all the options, sizes, measurements, different patterns, and so on. It took me a little bit to understand all of the rules and such but once you understand it, its pretty straight forward. Also thanks to the internet there are a ton of sources out there for you to do research and help you along the way.

As for the spam thing, I'm sure if its wheel and tire related you can ask it. Its a place for you to ask questions and get answers and so future people can look to see if there questions have already been answered so there not creating new threads like crazy. So just don't go into what type of dinner you had or how much you sold your WOW character for.

The wheels look good. Its a good contrast with the red stripe and all. What are the specs on those wheels and tires; inch diameter x inch width x offset mm and tire size? Also, can you take a side shots to show how flush they are? This is so future people can see what that size wheel and tire will look like.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Stock p225/45r18 on the tires, on wheel 18x8 and I asked when I went in for a re-torque on the offset and he said there isn't one.
=
Thanks for the pics man. He really said there was no offset? All wheels have offset, its a standard wheel measurement. If there was no offset you would not be able to estimate how the wheel will fit. You would not know how it will sit in terms of strut and fender engagement. I'm not attacking you or anything just surprised that a wheel guy said there is no offset.

I will take a stab in the dark here and say they are +40 or +45, about stock fitment. I say that because they sit at about stock fitment. Next time you have the wheel off check the inside where the hub sits, its usually stamped in there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I just read your reply to GA and that's just piss poor information, zero offset :facepalm:. If it was zero offset your wheel would be sticking out of the fender by about half an inch. All he had to do was look in the back of the wheel and tell you.

If you want to read up on offset and how it works and what not, TireRack.com has a good tut on it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
235/45 would be good for the 8.5. In my opinion too big for the 8. For the 8 I would go 215/40. Tons of pictures on the internet on how different size tires will sit on certain size wheels. Kind of depends on what your going for and the look you want. You said you have coilovers, so I assume your going kind of low? Little bit of tire tuck? Are you going with an aggressive offset, flush with the fender, maybe sticking out just a tad? Ok with running a little more then stock camber? Any reason not going with a wider wheel since you do have coilovers?

1 - 19 of 34 Posts