Toyota Nation Forum banner
181 - 200 of 1209 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
KnightRyderx2

I appreciate all the information you provided. I thought about responding to all the information you provided previously but I didn't want to spam the wheel section. All in all, thank you so much for all the tips. You helped guide me in the right direction and I ended up making a decision on going with Motegi's for the wheels. They just came in today and are now all installed. America's Tires were more than willing to spray my calipers as well. Here's couple photos.
Hey man, no problem at all. I know when dealing with wheels and tires it can seem a bit overwhelming with all the options, sizes, measurements, different patterns, and so on. It took me a little bit to understand all of the rules and such but once you understand it, its pretty straight forward. Also thanks to the internet there are a ton of sources out there for you to do research and help you along the way.

As for the spam thing, I'm sure if its wheel and tire related you can ask it. Its a place for you to ask questions and get answers and so future people can look to see if there questions have already been answered so there not creating new threads like crazy. So just don't go into what type of dinner you had or how much you sold your WOW character for.

The wheels look good. Its a good contrast with the red stripe and all. What are the specs on those wheels and tires; inch diameter x inch width x offset mm and tire size? Also, can you take a side shots to show how flush they are? This is so future people can see what that size wheel and tire will look like.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Se Sport
17 Posts
The wheels look good. Its a good contrast with the red stripe and all. What are the specs on those wheels and tires; inch diameter x inch width x offset mm and tire size? Also, can you take a side shots to show how flush they are? This is so future people can see what that size wheel and tire will look like.
Stock p225/45r18 on the tires, on wheel 18x8 and I asked when I went in for a re-torque on the offset and he said there isn't one.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Se Sport
17 Posts
^He said there isnt an offset?! :eek:
Well the guy that was re-torquing it. I told him I was inquired to ask for an offset and he tried to describe to me what an offset was (which still isn't all too clear to me) and I ended up asking him, "So to my understanding of just learning this stuff as you described it seems there isn't an offset, so does that make it a zero?" and his response was "yes". The guy never originally worked on my wheels or anything, don't even think he was there the day before or anything. Friendly guy but talking wasn't his strong suit.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Stock p225/45r18 on the tires, on wheel 18x8 and I asked when I went in for a re-torque on the offset and he said there isn't one.
=
Thanks for the pics man. He really said there was no offset? All wheels have offset, its a standard wheel measurement. If there was no offset you would not be able to estimate how the wheel will fit. You would not know how it will sit in terms of strut and fender engagement. I'm not attacking you or anything just surprised that a wheel guy said there is no offset.

I will take a stab in the dark here and say they are +40 or +45, about stock fitment. I say that because they sit at about stock fitment. Next time you have the wheel off check the inside where the hub sits, its usually stamped in there.

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
8,848 Posts
Well the guy that was re-torquing it. I told him I was inquired to ask for an offset and he tried to describe to me what an offset was (which still isn't all too clear to me) and I ended up asking him, "So to my understanding of just learning this stuff as you described it seems there isn't an offset, so does that make it a zero?" and his response was "yes". The guy never originally worked on my wheels or anything, don't even think he was there the day before or anything. Friendly guy but talking wasn't his strong suit.
Gotcha :thumbsup:

FWIW, you definitely have an offset :D

Reactions: Legorreg

·
Registered
2014 Camry Se Sport
17 Posts
Thanks for the pics man. He really said there was no offset? All wheels have offset, its a standard wheel measurement. If there was no offset you would not be able to estimate how the wheel will fit. You would not know how it will sit in terms of strut and fender engagement. I'm not attacking you or anything just surprised that a wheel guy said there is no offset.

I will take a stab in the dark here and say they are +40 or +45, about stock fitment. I say that because they sit at about stock fitment. Next time you have the wheel off check the inside where the hub sits, its usually stamped in there.
I will take a look next time I take it off. I don't see much difference in location compared to where my stock wheels were though. That was a concern of mine. I am constantly going up logging roads / gravel roads so I don't want too wide. Thanks for the information though, it's slowly making sense and at least I have an idea on where to look

·
Registered
543 Posts
So I just read your reply to GA and that's just piss poor information, zero offset :facepalm:. If it was zero offset your wheel would be sticking out of the fender by about half an inch. All he had to do was look in the back of the wheel and tell you.

If you want to read up on offset and how it works and what not, TireRack.com has a good tut on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hello to everyone. .... I plan on buying some rims this weekend and would like some help on what the right tire size should be. I've been doing some research but I'm still kind of a new to this stuff. I plan on getting some Enkei raijin 19 http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...heelModel=Raijin-19&wheelFinish=Black+Painted Comes in 19x8 or 19x8.5. I have coilovers also so wasn't too sure on what the tire size should be. Would 235/45-19 fit ok?

·
Registered
543 Posts
235/45 would be good for the 8.5. In my opinion too big for the 8. For the 8 I would go 215/40. Tons of pictures on the internet on how different size tires will sit on certain size wheels. Kind of depends on what your going for and the look you want. You said you have coilovers, so I assume your going kind of low? Little bit of tire tuck? Are you going with an aggressive offset, flush with the fender, maybe sticking out just a tad? Ok with running a little more then stock camber? Any reason not going with a wider wheel since you do have coilovers?

·
Registered
108 Posts
235/45 would be good for the 8.5. In my opinion too big for the 8. For the 8 I would go 215/40. Tons of pictures on the internet on how different size tires will sit on certain size wheels. Kind of depends on what your going for and the look you want. You said you have coilovers, so I assume your going kind of low? Little bit of tire tuck? Are you going with an aggressive offset, flush with the fender, maybe sticking out just a tad? Ok with running a little more then stock camber? Any reason not going with a wider wheel since you do have coilovers?
Will thing is that I don't know too much about this stuff. I just started learning it so I don't know a whole lot. I spoke with someone at tirerack and the guy recommends a 245/40 tire but that a 235/40 will work as will. But if I go with a 245/40 tire I don't know if it makes a difference if its 19x8 or 19x8.5. Also the offset is 40 on the wheels but I'm still a bit confused on that part. Flush with the fender would be nice but again, I don't know a lot of this stuff.

·
Top TN contributor
3,461 Posts
Will thing is that I don't know too much about this stuff. I just started learning it so I don't know a whole lot. I spoke with someone at tirerack and the guy recommends a 245/40 tire but that a 235/40 will work as will. But if I go with a 245/40 tire I don't know if it makes a difference if its 19x8 or 19x8.5. Also the offset is 40 on the wheels but I'm still a bit confused on that part. Flush with the fender would be nice but again, I don't know a lot of this stuff.
The OEM offset is 45mm so an offset of 40 would take it 5mm away from the suspension (45mm - 40mm = 5mm), and towards the fender...not an issue...but tire size and any changes to the suspension may affect the fitment...

Go here to see more on fitment...input original tire size and your new tire to see the effects...
http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

...a wider tire (245 vs 235) will also take it BACK TOWARDS the suspension, but only by half the difference...in this case the total wheel/tire difference would be about 5mm + (appx 10mm x .5 =) 5mm or about 10mm total, a bit less than a half-inch...but that 1/2" difference is diminished by half in going from 8 to 8.5 inch wheel width....1/2 inch - (1/2" divided by 2) 1/4"....again an insignificant difference UNLESS there are suspension mods such as lowering of springs...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Its cool no problem. This type of stuff is pretty overwhelming with all the numbers and measurements and such. There are a lot of resources out there to help you understand. In fact tirerack.com has a pretty good explanation of offset and how that effects fitment and placement of the wheel. Jsut read up and do some home work, use the resources on line and you will understand. Its pretty straight forward.

Since you have coilovers they are skinnier then the stock suspension so it allows for more wheel and tire. Now Im not saying that you have to go for 11" wide wheel. I was just wondering since you do have that option. Now tirerack does recommend a safe number and if you do follow them it is 100% guaranteed to fit, they have done their research. The wheels and sizes they recommended will fit, but with that offset you will not get a flush look. I'm not sure if you have the 18s or 17s as stocker but we will go with the 18s. If you have the 18s and went with a 19x8.5 +40, your new wheel will be about 17mm more toward the fender. I would say go with more for a +35 or +33 ish offset. This is still a relatively safe number but will give you more of a flush look. Its not aggressive by any means but will look pretty good.

When it comes to the tire for the 8.5 I would go with a 235/40. Like I said look on the internet as how this would fit. I personally don't like the rally tire look when it comes to these cars. I like a tire that fits nicely on there or with a very tiny bit of stretch to it.

This is a 235/35 on 8.5. the 40 will have a tiny bit more side wall, but it will look about the same.

Another bit of advice look all over the internet at what you would like to achieve and how you want to make your wheels fit and look. There is a whole lot of advice we could give you for whole range of looks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish me luck

Been monitoring the thread, but no one has posted anything on a H&R dropped 2012 with 245/40/19 on a 19X8 40 wheel so I'll be the first. Just ordered today so in about a week or so. Will post pics once mounted...wish me luck...aka no rubbing! lol

181 - 200 of 1209 Posts