·
Registered
2012 Camry SE I-4
2,263 Posts

·
It's Official
16 Tundra, 14 RAV4,
9,213 Posts
staggered is fine too. Useless on a FWD, but its cool. You won't be able to do full rotations because its staggered. And if you get directional tires then you won't be able to do any rotations.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Does anyone know if these will fit our Camry?

http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/4315862541.html

Thanks in advance.
With these, I would measure the space between the stock wheel and spring. The front would be fine but, the backs would go in 16 mm over stock 18". From what I heard the space from the spring to the stock wheel is about 19 mm but measure to make sure first. I would also do a 5 mm spacer all around, maybe even a 10 mm in the rear. This would give it a more flush look and definitely make them fit.

·
Registered
2014 Camry Se Sport
17 Posts
Hello everyone and hopefully I have this in the right section. I am completely new to the car world. Having had a truck for the last 6.5 years and a bunch of redneck friends, I haven't had the luxury of dealing much with cars. Very recently I just picked up a 2014 Camry Se Sport and I am in a bit of a pickle. While I know one of the major differences is the wheels compared to the SE options, I basically wanted it for the sunroof with the idea of getting aftermarket wheels later on. I tried browsing the site to help minimize newbish sort of questions but I am still learning how to maneuver around the site and much of what I searched on showed older generations and I just wanted to make sure I was on the current up-to-date information.

Essentially, I am considering selling my tires and wheels. I am leasing the vehicle so I know it will void parts of my warranty but that is entirely fine with me as I will most likely just sell or buyout the vehicle when it gets closer to the the due date. Problem I am coming across is a price for them or even what's reasonable. My co-worker is considering just getting the regular SE and buying my wheels off me and he threw out a number of $500. I understand that OEM wheels are expensive and while I am not trying to make a killing off them, ideally knocking down the difference in a new set would be great, especially with graduation coming up. Some posts I saw noted that a steal price for the set is $600-800 while others said more. If someone could give me a ball-park or guide me in the right direction that would be wonderful or even hints on where to be looking. To give a visual, this is where I am sitting currently.

Now to the fun stuff that is actually interesting. Wheels and Tires are a new concept for me in the car business. On my truck, I knew exactly what companies I would deal with both tire and wheel. Well, cars are a bit different and ultimately I am no where near familiar with them. I typically purchase my sets from America's Tires. I am hoping to get a black with red lip combo. I like typically a star pattern with decent width going to each side.

A set they had that caught my eye on their website was the Drag DR-23 with black and red stripe.

Another set that I seen that caught my eye was 18 XXR 962 Black Red Stripe.. When found these though they fit on a 2012 so would have to further research if all would work on my vehicle.

Ultimately, that is the design I am thinking of leaning towards. I haven't ventured into much else yet as most don't catch my eye. I want to keep my vehicle basically just black and red with few places that chrome pops out but mostly just the factory chrome. I like the contrast it puts on the vehicles. Another thing I plan on doing is painting my calipers Red which I think would work well with black wheels. I saw some people saying that Drag Dr was junk wheels but some swear by them as well. My co-worker said a cheaper good quality wheel is XXR so that is kind of what lead me to those two categories.

I am not familiar with a real good set of tires for this vehicle either. I am planning to put a lot of miles on my vehicle until June when I graduate. I am hitting about 2200 miles a month currently. After that point, hard to say if they will increase, decrease or stay the same. With that in mind, I am hoping to search for a decent all weather tire for the rig. Something that looks nice, durable, decent life and aggressively priced compared to the rest. Basically something that will get the job done but won't break the bank as well. I do a decent amount of fishing / camping / hiking / and just whatever outdoors so I will occasionally come in contact with snow, mud and rocky trails. I understand that it is a car so I don't plan on going off-roading in it by any means (this last weeks snow fall though, she did pretty good for the most part on the 14 inches we got)

Monday will be my last day at my current job which will allow for me to actually take the time to dig into things further and truly get a feel for what hits the spot but until them I am fairly caught up with school and two orgs I am in. Any recommendations or guidance would be much appreciated. Even opinions would be great. My first vehicle was a Honda which somewhat reflects on my interests in wheels. I'm open minded to direct criticism as I would like the vehicle to look great.

Also, if I am in the wrong section please let me know and I will move my post. I just know the first post talks about wheel and tire related questions getting pushed here.

Thanks again guys and pleasure joining the Toyota family.

·
Registered
543 Posts
OK, lets start at your stocker wheels and tires. You can get a set of those on eBay for about $600, they are called take offs. Basically a wheel set that a dealer or wheel and tire shop took of a car to put aftermarket stuff on. They flip the stock wheels for pretty cheap. For your case it depends on if you want to sell the tires with it too. I don't know the condition of your tires, but I would say you have about 4,000 on them? That $500 is good for just the wheels but who would want wheels without the tires. So, with tires I would say about $750ish maybe $800, depending on condition and milage.

Now for some aftermarket wheels. You would start with what diameter you want, I personally like 19" on these cars. Stick with 18" if you want a little more comfort to you ride since you can fit more side wall tire in there. I have seen as big as 22" on these Camrys; its ultimately up to you. Search the site for pics on different sizes and how they look, they are all over.

Once you choose a size then you have to take into account a couple of things; are you going to leave the stock suspension, put drop springs, or put coilovers. When you put wheels and tires on that are any bigger then stock it make it look like a 4x4, so a drop would be nice. Suspension will dictate what width and offset of tire you will get. Stick with stock suspension or a drop spring, you can get a wheel that is 1-2 inches wider then stock. Get coilovers you can go as much 3" wider over stock wheel width.

Wheel width and wheel offset go and in hand. With offset the higher the number the more inward the wheel will move, toward the strut. The lower the number the more outward a wheel will move, toward the fender. Example, you have two wheels, 8" +40 mm and 8" +30 mm. The 8" +30 mm will stick out more toward the fender then the other by 10 mm. There are many calculators and tutorials on the web to figure out offset vs. wheel width; TireRack.com has a pretty good one. Just so you have a starting figure, your stock wheels are 18" x 7.5" +45 mm. Earlier in this thread I put how to figure out wheel width and offset so you get a good fitment.

For tires, it would depend on the wheel width you get. There are many pictures and suggestions on the internet on what tire sizes fit on a certain width wheel. Then you have certain looks and ways to fit larger wheel widths by adjusting the width of your tire. A lot of VW, Audi, BMW, drift Nissans, and drift cars in general will do this. There is a stretch look to the wheel, fitting a skinny width tire on a wider wheel. This will help the tire to clear the fender and not rub. Again, internet has a crap load of pictures and suggestions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best tire size

I have a 2012 SE that has Tien drop springs. Looking to get some Cosmis MR-7's. I want to go as wide as possible. They suggest a 18x9. What would be the best tire for my setup that is as wide as possible? Would like to go with a 40mm sidewall.

·
Registered
122 Posts
looks nice! can you plz take a pic of the car from the back or front looking down the side of the car im looking at getting some new rims same size and with :clap:but maybe a 235 tire and also i have the same drop springs

20 X 8.5, +40 offset, MSR rims, rubber 245/35/20, dropped on Eibachs pro kit springs -1.5" front -1.0" rear, no rubbing and it rides like its on rails. Wife approved.

·
Registered
122 Posts
thats the stock se 17s with the 55 right ?? my stock 18s have 7.5 with and 45 tires
The ride will be a tiny bit more firm but you will not notice unless you really concentrate on it. The stock SE wheels come with 55 series tires so that right there will keep it soft and since you have an LE with softer suspension that will make it more smoother. If your really worried about it you could get 60 or 65 series tires but that would look weird, almost SUV status. In the end you will not notice any difference.

·
Registered
387 Posts
looks nice! can you plz take a pic of the car from the back or front looking down the side of the car im looking at getting some new rims same size and with :clap:but maybe a 235 tire and also i have the same drop springs
WOW, I can't tell because the spokes are dark but if that's the Drag DR 34 with black spokes and just a polished lip then that's what's going on my Camry next week, white also with tint!!! your picture convinced me:thumbsup:
Discount tire also has the virtual feature that puts the rims you choose on your car for viewing decisions
NSF

·
Registered
244 Posts
New to the forum :hi:

Just bought a stock 2012 LE with the 16'' Steel wheels. If I decide to upgrade to 17 or 18, how much of an effect will it have on the speedometer? Is it really miner or is it something i should worry about? :help:

·
Registered
2014 Camry Se Sport
17 Posts
KnightRyderx2

I appreciate all the information you provided. I thought about responding to all the information you provided previously but I didn't want to spam the wheel section. All in all, thank you so much for all the tips. You helped guide me in the right direction and I ended up making a decision on going with Motegi's for the wheels. They just came in today and are now all installed. America's Tires were more than willing to spray my calipers as well. Here's couple photos.

Here's a closer look

·
Registered
387 Posts
dang so you can just spray the brake system together and not have any issues?? looks good.
That's what I said, dang' any problems with doing that??? I thought it had to be super cleaned and hi-temp paint??
Looks pretty hot though, I'll give you that
Americas/Discount Tire is hard to beat both price and service. My wheels just came in but now I gotta figure out what color the calipers should be after seeing yours lol.
I think leaving them silver with a black web/ polished lip on a white car would be best IMHO.
Anybody looking for SE 18"wheels, perfect!!
NSF

161 - 180 of 1116 Posts