Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 97 Camrys came out right before Iridium plugs became OE on the vehicles. I also looked at the NGK website, and honestly, I think the NGK IFR6E11 (6741) would've been better matched than the Iridium IX plugs you initially bought.
On NGK's website, they recommend several different spark plugs based on type, copper, platinum, iridium, and other's. I purchased the NGK iridiums (NGK 3764) for a 1997 Toyota CAMRY as listed on NGK's website and every auto parts store. They did not work in this motor. It refused to start. Swap back out to the old dual electrode Denso OEM and it starts right up. Put the Iridiums back in, no go. So I purchased the OEM NGK's and it runs fine. I'm not the only one that's run into this problem. It doesn't seem to happen with all of these engines but for some reason, there are many that won't run, or run like s__t using the single electrode plugs. What is the major difference between the two different iridium plugs 3764 vs 6741??? There both listed for this car along with several others. From now on, I'd stick with stock plugs. I know they'll work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok. I see the laser iridium are considered OE while the ix are considered performance. It's really quite confusing on the NGK website because they make it out that the "IX" is a better plug, but in reality, it appears the laser OE are actually the superior plug and the difference in price would seem to prove that. But if one is to read their information, you'll be led to believe that buying the IX is better. It's ridiculous. Well I can tell you firsthand my Camry wouldn't even start using the Iridium IX plugs. I wonder how the Ruthenium plugs are that are supposedly the latest greatest. And why if Iridiums are so superior to platinum do the platinums cost 50% more than the Iridiums ??? All very confusing. Now I know why in many cases sticking with stock OEM is the way to go. You see it all the time with MAF sensors, plug wires, electronics, and many other parts. Not saying aftermarket isn't good and a much better value in most cases, but it can be a "crap shoot" as to whether the aftermarket part you bought will work and is compatible.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,032 Posts
Dual-ground matters more than the metal on the electrodes, due to it being a waste-spark system (plug will wear faster than in a non-waste spark system).

Where did you buy the Iridiums from? On customer request I installed dual-ground Iridium plugs in a 1MZ and it started up just fine. I also recently replaced my '99 1MZ with the OE NGK 3452 dual-ground double-platinums...previous owner had put in single-ground Denso Iridiums and they had been working fine (pretty new).

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Ok. I see the laser iridium are considered OE while the ix are considered performance. It's really quite confusing on the NGK website because they make it out that the "IX" is a better plug, but in reality, it appears the laser OE are actually the superior plug and the difference in price would seem to prove that. But if one is to read their information, you'll be led to believe that buying the IX is better. It's ridiculous. Well I can tell you firsthand my Camry wouldn't even start using the Iridium IX plugs. I wonder how the Ruthenium plugs are that are supposedly the latest greatest. And why if Iridiums are so superior to platinum do the platinums cost 50% more than the Iridiums ??? All very confusing. Now I know why in many cases sticking with stock OEM is the way to go. You see it all the time with MAF sensors, plug wires, electronics, and many other parts. Not saying aftermarket isn't good and a much better value in most cases, but it can be a "crap shoot" as to whether the aftermarket part you bought will work and is compatible.
Oh those Iridium IX plugs aren't that great, much like the Denso "Iridium Power" plugs that are pushed, and where you have to gap them yourself. I think you would be fine using the 6741s in the future as well, or the Denso OE Iridium equivalent too. 6741 became the OE plugs for the newer Camrys from 2000 on, when most vehicles went from platinum to iridium.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea. I couldn't believe that the plugs would make that much of a difference. I went thru the hassle of swapping um in and out because I wanted to be 100% certain it was the plugs, and in my case, at least for this Camry, it did not like those IX Iridiums. I purchased the original Iridiums IX plugs from Rock Auto. Than I ran over to Advance Auto and bought the NGK laser platinum dual electrode plugs because I was so anxious to try them and see for sure. Maybe I'll give the OE Laser Iridiums a try next time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If anyone has a use for these 6 NGK IX plugs let me know. They're basically brand new. Just installed and removed. They wouldn't start the car so there's no wear. PM me. You pick up shipping they're yours. I spent about $40.00 for um. I'll never use um and end up throwing um out

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
632 Posts
"Car sputtered but would not start. I tried repeatedly. Nothing. Would not start."

There simply isn't enough difference between any of the plugs in question to explain anything near as extreme as that, other than if the plugs that didn't work were counterfeit parts that actually aren't any good at all.

My advice is to return those bad plugs to the seller for a refund, pointing out that they were totally inop, that you suspect the are counterfeit.

If you make careful note of all evidence (markings on the parts themselves, their boxes) you can compare them with other counterfeit information on the internet.

·
'93 LE Wagon V6 '94 LE I4
'93 V6 wagon, '94 I4
861 Posts
I purchased the original Iridiums IX plugs from Rock Auto.
As noted by norm356, the particular plug variation shouldn't make that much of a difference. There are a lot of vids on YouTube about counterfeit spark plugs. I wonder if any of those could have somehow made it into RA's supply chain. Another possibility is that the plugs were defective from NGK.

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
Yea. I couldn't believe that the plugs would make that much of a difference. I went thru the hassle of swapping um in and out because I wanted to be 100% certain it was the plugs, and in my case, at least for this Camry, it did not like those IX Iridiums. I purchased the original Iridiums IX plugs from Rock Auto. Than I ran over to Advance Auto and bought the NGK laser platinum dual electrode plugs because I was so anxious to try them and see for sure. Maybe I'll give the OE Laser Iridiums a try next time.
You should because I think the interval on the OE Iridiums is still greater than the Platinums, so many vehicles that were spec'd for Platinums can take the Iridiums (OE only of course) without an issue. I changed my RAV4's plug to the OE Iridium when it came time to change, which sadly was right before I sold it regretably.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it has to do with this wasted spark ignition. I'm sure on later Toyota's, once they improved and used 6 coils instead of 3, you could probably use any style spark plug. But I've since found other's on forums with similar issues. It seems that certain Camry's or 1MZ-FE engines are extremely temperamental with these plugs. If I was the only one, I'd agree. But I have since found posts and videos on YouTube, with guys having the exact same experience. So I'll stick with the Platinum dual electrode for this car. It's really not that big of a deal and unless someone wants to donate plugs, I'm not wasting money trying to see if other's will work.
I'll post some pic's of the Iridiums I have. See if any of you notice anything counterfeit or wrong with these plugs. I've attached a bunch below. I could post more if needed

Attachments

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
I think it has to do with this wasted spark ignition. I'm sure on later Toyota's, once they improved and used 6 coils instead of 3, you could probably use any style spark plug. But I've since found other's on forums with similar issues. It seems that certain Camry's or 1MZ-FE engines are extremely temperamental with these plugs. If I was the only one, I'd agree. But I have since found posts and videos on YouTube, with guys having the exact same experience. So I'll stick with the Platinum dual electrode for this car. It's really not that big of a deal and unless someone wants to donate plugs, I'm not wasting money trying to see if other's will work.
I'll post some pic's of the Iridiums I have. See if any of you notice anything counterfeit or wrong with these plugs. I've attached a bunch below. I could post more if needed
That's interesting...I remember during this time, a lot of Camry/Solara owners with the V6/1MZ engine were switching to the OE Denso Iridiums...perhaps it was just NGK that was the problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's interesting...I remember during this time, a lot of Camry/Solara owners with the V6/1MZ engine were switching to the OE Denso Iridiums...perhaps it was just NGK that was the problem.
Okay. So I called NGK Technical Support and spoke with a guy for 15 minutes. Very good conversation. First and foremost, he said "buy your plugs from a store front business, ala NAPA, Advanced Auto, Orielly, etc... They buy directly from NGK so you're guaranteed not to receive "counterfeit" plugs. Online stores including Rock Auto, Amazon, and many other online stores do NOT buy direct so there's no guarantee you're truly getting what you think you are".
Secondly he said "while we list several different products for your vehicle, the ONLY OEM style plug RECOMMENDED (for my application) is the multi-electrode laser platinum (NGK 3452). The NGK 3764 Iridiums IX and the NGK Laser Iridium 6741 are listed, but are not the recommended OEM spark plug. Neither are guaranteed to work.
He went on to say that many Asian manufacturers specify these "dual electrode spark plugs", as we all know. So he said to stick with OEM recommendations. Take the above for what it's worth. Is it possible the iridium ix I purchased from Rock Auto are fake, maybe. I kind of doubt it because they're so large a company. But anything is possible. If I had another set, I'd love to try um, but I'm not spending another $40.00 and 2 hours of work, to find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to fix a mistake from above. I did NOT buy these from Rock Auto. I went back and checked and I purchased these on Amazon. I don't wish to tarnish Rock Auto because I've had nothing but great experiences using them. These were purchased on Amazon and who knows who supplied them.

·
straight cash homie
19,916 Posts
I have to fix a mistake from above. I did NOT buy these from Rock Auto. I went back and checked and I purchased these on Amazon. I don't wish to tarnish Rock Auto because I've had nothing but great experiences using them. These were purchased on Amazon and who knows who supplied them.
Return them lol

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
632 Posts
"No auto parts seller takes electronics back normally."

unless they are counterfeit, which is far more likely than whether a detail about how the electrode is made, which really only applies to its durability in the application and not to whether it will spark or not, having been the issue

However, if they are from scamazon, and are counterfeit, then the odds of there actually being a business there for you to get your refund from drops precipitously

Sorry that this happened to you.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts