Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here it is guys, I have officially started the swap now.

First, washing up the car after it had sit outside, uncovered for couple months:

It'll need a good polishing and a fair amount of touch up to be beautiful... but good enough to roll into the garage. ;)

Hood off, ready to work:

A couple hours in, time for bed for the night:

So far, the motor/etc. has been ordered. I'll be getting everything out of the engine bay ready for removing the motor in the near future. When the motor gets here, the fun of wiring will start. When the wiring is ready, I'll finish up the mechanical part of the swap. This time, I'll actually take pictures of a few of the fun spots along the way... :lol:

Let me know if there are any specific things you want pics of along the way, or if there are any parts that you want off the 3s-fe engine...

-Charlie

Reactions: takopako28

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
You are like a Camry savior! Are you sure you didn't pick up that clean 91 V6 on ebay too?:chug:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome! What year BEAMS and where did you get it from?
Its a '98 Celica Red Top BEAMS from a JDM SS-III Celica. Its actually hard to find one with everything necessary (midpipe, MAF, unbroken timing cover, uncut wiring, etc.). I'll post pictures when it arrives (expect at least a week, probably more like two).

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've actually been able to find a few clean ones, but they are few and far between. Which pipe are you referring to with the midpipe?

I would greatly appreciate it if you could get pictures of all of the wiring splices, as I will be doing this swap in the future. Any notes regarding quirks in the wiring would also be greatly appreciated.

Other than that... Lots of pics!

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where did you source the engine? What transmission are you using?
I actually got the motor off eBay. You have to make sure everything important is there when you get it though. Most have broken parts or are missing the following: Upper timing cover, Midpipe (second half of the header with the 2-1 section), VVTi solenoid, MAF w/ airbox housing, fuse box, cut wiring (at fuse box or interior). The best ones generally still have the front subframe still attached to protect the back of the motor. You generally also get the axles, front suspension and brakes at the same time. A whole front clip would be ideal, but those are near impossible to find these days. Oh, and avoid any motor that has signs of modifications (extra wires, headers, aftermarket intake, etc.) - you know the car was driven harder when its modified.

I'll be using the stock transmission with a lightweight flywheel and stock-ish (for a 3s-gte) clutch. No need to go crazy with only 200hp. Hopefully the stock trans is still in good shape. :cool:

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got in a couple more hours yesterday...

Cleaned out the fender junk gathering spot. Not nearly as much as I was expecting. Also, no rust, luckily:

Wire harness, shift cables, fuel lines and other stuff disconnected:

All the lower suspension parts off:

Still have the power steering pump/lines and axles to do and then I'm pretty much ready to drop it.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
It's a shame I'm not local. I'm cheap labor and can drop an All-Trac engine/trans in under 3 hours in decent conditions. :clap::rofl2:

I'll be in L.A. next weekend, maybe we can catch up and you can give me your boost addiction.:thumbsup:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
LOL... I'm not going for speed. Remember, I already have two fully running cars. Or three if you count the wife's ride. :lol: That said, i was slowed down a bit by my air gun not working very well. :disappoin

Next weekend is pretty open for me, hopefully we can work something out!

-Charlie

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
i've always wondered how hard it'd be to shoehorn a 1mzfe into a gen2 - esp an alltrac. my 98 camry v6 5spd uses the same e153 trans as the mr2 turbo, and i even have an mr2 clutch and lsd in it. so i have to wonder what would be involved in swapping a 1mz instead of another 4cyl. esp since the 1mz is stupid easy to find since it was used in so many different vehicles. not to mention the existence of the trd supercharger for it... i miss my sc...

·
Registered
Civic Hatch
2,791 Posts
unfortunately i think the rear bank design on the block would hit too much on the transfer case to do it properly/ do it at all. Even a 5sfe hits the trans a bit and needs some shaving.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I've read of V6-swapped All-Tracs before, if memory serves they had to use a transfer case from a Rav4. They run more clearance or some such... Never was able to get a solid answer on why those ones are used.

LOL... I'm not going for speed. Remember, I already have two fully running cars. Or three if you count the wife's ride. That said, i was slowed down a bit by my air gun not working very well.

Next weekend is pretty open for me, hopefully we can work something out!

-Charlie
Apparently we're going to Valencia... I'll try to convince my ride that we should totally swing down through the City of Angels. Maybe we can meet in the middle? She doesn't care for the city much.

I'm aware you're not going for speed, but we all want to see this done! :D So far as I know, this is going to be the only BEAMS-swapped 'Trac there is. :thumbsup:

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i've always wondered how hard it'd be to shoehorn a 1mzfe into a gen2 - esp an alltrac. my 98 camry v6 5spd uses the same e153 trans as the mr2 turbo, and i even have an mr2 clutch and lsd in it. so i have to wonder what would be involved in swapping a 1mz instead of another 4cyl. esp since the 1mz is stupid easy to find since it was used in so many different vehicles. not to mention the existence of the trd supercharger for it... i miss my sc...
Gibson! Its been a long time since I have seen any of your posts. Mostly because I don't leave the gen2 sub-forum. :lol:

You can't do any of the V6's with the stock Camry Alltrac or Celica Alltrac Transmission. You can use the Rav4 4WD gearbox as it has a cast iron transfer case that is smaller and clears the block. There was a guy on the Alltrac forums that did a 3vzfe Alltrac, and the 1MZ should have the same or similar clearance on the back of the block. Exhuast then becomes and issue, but there is just enough room back there for it, or you can do the reverse of the 2vzfe crossover pipe setup...

Another option would be to do a Highlander V6 Auto swap. At that point, axles and driveshaft parts may be difficult. The Alltrac Camry auto is a A540H, probably the same type as the Highlander Auto - but you'd have to check.

1MZ FWD should be easy - You'd only have to do the one custom mount (if that, depending on if the VZ mount works on an MZ block). All the other parts have bolt-in or near bolt-in compatibility. I ran an E153 with KAAZ LSD on my FWD 3s-gte swap...

-Charlie

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently we're going to Valencia... I'll try to convince my ride that we should totally swing down through the City of Angels. Maybe we can meet in the middle? She doesn't care for the city much.

I'm aware you're not going for speed, but we all want to see this done! :D So far as I know, this is going to be the only BEAMS-swapped 'Trac there is. :thumbsup:
I avoid LA proper as much as possible. I live up in Pasadena, which you'll be driving right through on your way to Valencia (assuming you are going 40/15/210/5 instead of staying up in the desert on the 40/15/18/138/14 route). Even then, Valencia is only 30 miles away... PM on its way... ;)

The mechanical side of the swap isn't going to be too difficult. There is more time in wiring than anything else, unless I am MUCH faster this time around. I think the mixture of cost similar to a 3s-gte and the lower horsepower potential keep people away from this. Of course, driving a 200hp N/A car is still fun (example: GT86/FRS/BRZ, Acura RSX-S, Civic Si, etc.).

-Charlie

·
Stock? Blasphemy!
06 Rav4 v6
879 Posts
Gibson! Its been a long time since I have seen any of your posts. Mostly because I don't leave the gen2 sub-forum. :lol:

You can't do any of the V6's with the stock Camry Alltrac or Celica Alltrac Transmission. You can use the Rav4 4WD gearbox as it has a cast iron transfer case that is smaller and clears the block. There was a guy on the Alltrac forums that did a 3vzfe Alltrac, and the 1MZ should have the same or similar clearance on the back of the block. Exhuast then becomes and issue, but there is just enough room back there for it, or you can do the reverse of the 2vzfe crossover pipe setup...

Another option would be to do a Highlander V6 Auto swap. At that point, axles and driveshaft parts may be difficult. The Alltrac Camry auto is a A540H, probably the same type as the Highlander Auto - but you'd have to check.

1MZ FWD should be easy - You'd only have to do the one custom mount (if that, depending on if the VZ mount works on an MZ block). All the other parts have bolt-in or near bolt-in compatibility. I ran an E153 with KAAZ LSD on my FWD 3s-gte swap...

-Charlie
and i only came to this post because it was featured in the monthly TN newsletter. i hardly do forums much anymore. between getting married, having kids and buying a house (the money from selling my sc went towards the downpayment on the house)... forums are WAY back on a back burner. i think if the motor ever lets go in my 98 i might try to get a 2grfe and see if i can bolt it to my e153. that could be interesting! but since my 1mz only has like 140k on it, i'd probably have to just stop changing the oil to make it need replacement. and even then it'd take a while - i probably only drive it 6k miles/year since i work from home so much now.

good luck with everything!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I avoid LA proper as much as possible. I live up in Pasadena, which you'll be driving right through on your way to Valencia (assuming you are going 40/15/210/5 instead of staying up in the desert on the 40/15/18/138/14 route). Even then, Valencia is only 30 miles away... PM on its way... ;)
PM not replied to, but you got my text! I looked it up, it's a total of 29 miles difference to swing down through Pasadena... And then I could finally call my mom the little old lady from Pasadena! She speeds far more than I do. :D

The mechanical side of the swap isn't going to be too difficult. There is more time in wiring than anything else, unless I am MUCH faster this time around. I think the mixture of cost similar to a 3s-gte and the lower horsepower potential keep people away from this. Of course, driving a 200hp N/A car is still fun (example: GT86/FRS/BRZ, Acura RSX-S, Civic Si, etc.).

-Charlie
Looking at it, I can say the mechanical side will certainly be the easiest part- I was just saying that I want to see that engine mounted and looking beautiful! :clap:

A little off-topic: Are you saying the Rav4 trans/transfer case will drop into an All-Trac? Would be nice to have the extra beef of the cast iron transfer case...

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A little off-topic: Are you saying the Rav4 trans/transfer case will drop into an All-Trac? Would be nice to have the extra beef of the cast iron transfer case...
I'd avoid the Rav4 box unless needed for some other reason. I think it is missing the center diff lock (Camry) or Viscous unit (Celicas). The ST205 transmission is pretty much the pinnacle of available options. Good synchros, good gearing and STRONG. They start break once you get over 500whp - but that's only sometimes. :thumbsup:

-Charlie

1 - 20 of 253 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.