Toyota Nation Forum banner

2021 - 2040 of 2060 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts

·
3,410 Posts
My son says "Something is wrong with my car. When I brake it is making this grinding noise." Shit. I put new pads on it after we got it, maybe last year or just a tad before. I test drive it and yes, horrible grinding noise. So I knew where this was headed.

That first image is the inside pad on the driver side on top of the inside of the rotor. Bottom pic is the same rotor just a bit closer. Not only was there no pad left, it was grinding down in to the metal for some time.

Jeeze.

Us.

Christ.

So... new rotors and pads today plus a lesson to him about how NOT to be driving. Passenger side was just right down to the backing plate as well. Absolutely no pad left on either.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
Well, you got your full money’s worth out of those pads!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
At most he put on 10k miles. At most. W.T.F. fer sure. Part of the lesson is he gets to buy the rotors.
It's always interesting how someone's habits change when they have to pay for things. I'm also thinking the screeching had been going on for quite a while before he said anything. Hopefully he now realizes to check things out at the first indication of something wrong.

·
Registered
808 Posts
My son says "Something is wrong with my car. When I brake it is making this grinding noise." Shit. I put new pads on it after we got it, maybe last year or just a tad before. I test drive it and yes, horrible grinding noise. So I knew where this was headed.

View attachment 282218 View attachment 282219

That first image is the inside pad on the driver side on top of the inside of the rotor. Bottom pic is the same rotor just a bit closer. Not only was there no pad left, it was grinding down in to the metal for some time.

Jeeze.

Us.

Christ.

So... new rotors and pads today plus a lesson to him about how NOT to be driving. Passenger side was just right down to the backing plate as well. Absolutely no pad left on either.
Maybe he needs to turn the stereo down in a year, so he can hear the grinding sooner. ;)

·
3,410 Posts
I checked the pins, they slide fine. Mostly even wear on the inner and outer pads, both sides. Just somehow ate through an entire pair in record time. And yeah, loud stereo isn't helping. 17 year olds, there ya go. Going to have to check the rears next, although the amount of brake dust on the fronts was a good indicator. Rear wheels are essentially clean.

Opted for NAPA this go round. NAPA rotors, NAPA ceramic pads. No squealing. If I see a bunch of dust then I will take them back and run to Ford and get a set.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I checked the pins, they slide fine. Mostly even wear on the inner and outer pads, both sides. Just somehow ate through an entire pair in record time. And yeah, loud stereo isn't helping. 17 year olds, there ya go. Going to have to check the rears next, although the amount of brake dust on the fronts was a good indicator. Rear wheels are essentially clean.

Opted for NAPA this go round. NAPA rotors, NAPA ceramic pads. No squealing. If I see a bunch of dust then I will take them back and run to Ford and get a set.
Yeah, my son ran into a new (rebuilt?) caliper on his 08 Civic Si. The OE caliper started leaking fluid out of the ebrake half of the caliper, so he replaced it. Then about 2 months later, the "new" caliper was hanging up, and not releasing, so it got replaced again. Then about 6 weeks later, the left side started to make noise, so it got a pad change, as it wasn't due yet at the time (when working on the right side). His wife's 08 Pilot had a caliper hang as well, and she wore it down to the point that it needed a rotor and a caliper (wasn't releasing either). It was an OE caliper too.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts

Jeeze.

Us.

Christ.

At most he put on 10k miles. At most. W.T.F. fer sure. Part of the lesson is he gets to buy the rotors.
Wow....just, WOW. Thanks for sharing, and good luck knocking some sense into your son's head.

·
Super Moderator
12,602 Posts
His appearance in that interview wasn't appreciably different than in "The Wrestler", other than the face makeup; probably trying to hide the mess that is his face. He was quite the heart throb back in his younger days. Then he left acting to unsuccessfully pursue a career in boxing, where he got his face all f'd up. Trying to return to acting, he got a bunch of plastic surgery to try to fix all that damage. Now he's a poster child for avoiding plastic surgery.

·
7,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,037

·
Registered
808 Posts

·
3,410 Posts
Not exactly WTF, more a rant than anything else:

'Decimated' was a word used to describe one out of every ten. It has been so bastardized that now definitions state "kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of." No. No. No. Deci - 10. 10 is not a large percentage. Has bugged me for ever when used in the wrong manner, as it is being used today to decsribe Dorian's destruction. Oh well, time to go decimate my next hour with a meeting.

·
Premium Member
34,420 Posts
Not exactly WTF, more a rant than anything else:

'Decimated' was a word used to describe one out of every ten. It has been so bastardized that now definitions state "kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of." No. No. No. Deci - 10. 10 is not a large percentage. Has bugged me for ever when used in the wrong manner, as it is being used today to decsribe Dorian's destruction. Oh well, time to go decimate my next hour with a meeting.
Kind of like the massive overuse and outright incorrect context of words we hear every day in the media, such as Nazi, bigot, racist, and hate? Kind of like those words too? :)

Along those lines, I love the way (said he sarcastically) how the word bigot has been bastardized into meaning racist by the leftists in America. But what can we expect from a bastion of people in this country who cant spell proper or use gramar in like a real way or dont u now.

:)

2021 - 2040 of 2060 Posts
About this Discussion
2.1K Replies
64 Participants
Corrolla clone
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing