Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wanting to pick your brains over this one. I've had a search through the forum and havent been able to find a similar issue, but I have found a few other answers that may help in this situation. So far Im thinking I have a thermostat issue, so let me know what you think.
Since I've owned this car the temp gauge on the dash has never sat where I would consider to be the normal position. Durning extended long runs it sits around 1/3 and it normally takes a bit of time to get there -longer than I would consider normal. Also the auto dosent shift into overdrive when cold until I've driven 1 or 2km's (read on another thread the auto wont shift into overdrive when engine is cold). When things get a little slower like in stop start traffic then the temp gauge creeps up to around a normal position of around 1/2. Cooling fans kick in where you'd normally expect them to. Once back to extended running again the temp will slowly creep back down to 1/3.
So to my thinking I have a thermostat thats possible stuck open.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
All-Trac sits about 1/3 the way up on the gauge, the '91 varies from dead center to a bit high depending on how fast I'm going.

·
Toyota Collector
11,981 Posts
My '87 shows just slightly less than halfway ever since I can remember, and the engine warms up very quickly even in cold weather. What you describe sounds to me like the classic symptoms of a stat getting old and not working properly. Always use Toyota thermostats there is no substitute for this part.

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,664 Posts
So to my thinking I have a thermostat thats possible stuck open.
Any thoughts?
That's exactly what you have. Replace with OEM, make sure the 'jiggle valve' is at the top when installing.

-Charlie

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If fans are not running all the time, checking the thrermostat sounds like a good idea

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, after driving down a long steepish hill - long enough not to use the accelerator for around 3 mins I made up my mind the thermostat needs changing. The temp gauge dropped off to nearly 0 after the run down the hill. So brought a new one from Toyota and now the temp gauge does exactly what I expect it should, comes up to just under half way very quickly and stays there. So very happy now

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dont you just love it when you start a chain of repairs. After so long with the cooling system not being at the right temp and I assume the right pressures it all goes pear shaped when put back to normal. Now the top radiator tank has sprung a leak, so a new one of those will be going in as well:lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts