Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
your question would be very difficult to answer. if it had a few coolant changes over the years and no tap water introduced to the system then it could probly make it a couple hundred thousand miles but that would be best case scenario. you would also have to consider the gasket failing at some point

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,601 Posts
What is the life span of the thermostat on the 2012 toyota corolla
There is not a specific lifespan for a thermostat. You replace it when it needs it. I bought my 2009 Corolla S in 8/09 and it still has the original thermostat.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm pretty sure thermostats these days fail in the open position, so no worries about overheating. Just change it if you happen to have things apart down there or if it's not heating up like it used to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its like a $10 part, just replace it when you have the chance. Although on the 2AZ-FE, its kinda tricky to get to with the headers and alternator in the way, and they had to put the thermostat housing screws on the top and bottom instead of the sides, so you'll have to blindly feel for the bottom bolt to unscrew it.

BTW I replaced my thermostat at 115,000 miles, it had no problems. I did it because I had to fix everything in the engine bay after flooding my car. The Matrix drives better than before the great flood now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm pretty sure thermostats these days fail in the open position, so no worries about overheating. Just change it if you happen to have things apart down there or if it's not heating up like it used to.
I thought the "fail open" feature was something specific of certain models of thermostats that were designed that way, not all of thermostats do this?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't have any specific knowledge on this, but I would think any quality thermostat would be designed to fail open. Maybe some cheap chinese knock offs won't do this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts