Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Toyota Pickup
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cursin: Some miserable F#[email protected] waist of flesh jacked the catalytic converter off of my truck while it was in my driveway! That’s one hell-of-a welcome home. If only I could have caught them in the act.

...I'd never heard of this problem but apparently it's pritty common. They are going after the platnum in the converter, and there is more in truck converters. Trucks are also easyer to get to because they are higher. Any one else hear of this?

·
Not a Pre-runner
1,657 Posts
been happing for a few years now. the up side is that the thieves tend to steer clear of the aftermarket cats so you probably wont have to worry about it happening again.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
My sympathies to you - I can imagine how pissed off you must be.

For aftermarket, Magnaflow cats are a good bet. Cheap and good performance on emissions tests. You can get the part number from their website here: http://car-sound.com/ And then search for it on ebay for a good price.

·
Registered
93 Toyota Pickup
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the sympathies and replacement advice. Although normally I subscribe to the “if it breaks, replace it with something better” mentality (especially when non OEM performs better and is cheaper), this time frustration and aggravation got the better of me so with $20 worth of flexible exhaust tubing and two $2.50 exhaust clamps I span the gap where the cat used to be. Illegal and environmentally unfriendly I know, but it’ll last me until I deploy and I can build a decent cat-back when I get home... Besides I’ll make up the lost karma when I catch and make mulch out of the miserable SOB plaguing our neighborhood.

·
Georgian Pickup Drifter
1991 Toyota Pickup
933 Posts
Well most scrap metal places ID and get drivers license information of anyone who turns in scrap like cats and copper piping, etc since theft has risen over the last few years. If it happened recently you could contact the police and see if any have been scrapped around you lately. On another note because the theft is so high lots of places are now not paying much at all for catalytic converters. You used to get around $75 or up depending on what vehicle it was from, but now most places around here at least cap it off at like 15-20 bucks.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Far out, ruthless bastards. Sorry to hear that. An exhaust shop stole my catalytic converter about a year ago. I took my car in to get the flex-pipe welded and a few days later noticed that the cat was gone and had been replaced with an 8" resonator. Not that I was complaining as it's not a legal requirement to run a cat here and I was planning on removing it anyway when my exhaust was fitted, but I couldn't believe that a reputable company would do such a thing. Would have gone back, but it would have been long gone and I had no proof. I hope the thieves in your case get what's coming to them.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me what people will steal if it has a nickel's worth of value....:disappoin

·
Registered
93 Toyota Pickup
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on the issue. When I picked up the exhaust parts the guy at the AutoZone said 5 others from my area had come in that week, and the thieves were so brazen that they actually stole one off a truck belonging to a sheriff while his curser was parked right next to it! I figured that any one stupid enough to do that, it would be just a matter of time before they got caught... Fast forward 3 days and sure enough, I heard on the radio that they just busted a “ring” of thieves stealing catalytic converters in my town... they didn’t last long.

And to
Park your truck over poison ivy or ants
One word... Genius

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thieves shouldn't be imprisoned. They should have their knee caps broken. I've never seen a car thieve on a wheel chair before.

Reactions: zzyzzx
1 - 11 of 11 Posts