Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife drives a 2018 HL Hybrid Limited Platinum package and here’s what I’d change.

1. HID headlights are terrible, full LED including fog lights needed
  2. no apple car play
  3. no remote start from key fob
  4. should have full acoustic glass
  5. should have semi analine leather upgrade option for all 3 rows
  6. no power folding or reverse turn down side mirrors
  7. steering correction for lane keep assist should be much stronger
  8. all interior and exterior bulbs should be daylight LEDs
  9. 3rd row access is a joke
  10. turning up the fan speed for rear passengers requires wrenching your arm or back from the front
:frown:

·
Registered
136 Posts
hmm. re point #1 - there are no HID headlights on the Highlander from factory! They are halogens behind projectors.

·
Registered
330 Posts
No remote caught me off guard, and was surprised that it wasn't standard with the Limited Platinum. Ended up costing me $1K!

The lane centering function on my LC 500 works better.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My wife drives a 2018 HL Hybrid Limited Platinum package and here’s what I’d change.

1. HID headlights are terrible, full LED including fog lights needed
  2. no apple car play
  3. no remote start from key fob
  4. should have full acoustic glass
  5. should have semi analine leather upgrade option for all 3 rows
  6. no power folding or reverse turn down side mirrors
  7. steering correction for lane keep assist should be much stronger
  8. all interior and exterior bulbs should be daylight LEDs
    [*]3rd row access is a joke
  9. turning up the fan speed for rear passengers requires wrenching your arm or back from the front
:frown:
The 3rd row is a joke lol. I have an elderly relative who on seeing the 3rd row was impressed and eager to try it out, they are small in stature around 5ft, so with some effort they got in and with the 2nd row adjusted we set of for a destination about 10 minutes away, durng the effort to get out they landed rather heavily and luckily didn't fall over or sustain injury, the extremely limited access coupled with the 8 inch ride height makes exit a rather risky exercise even possibly for agile children.Most reviewers concentrate on the lack of space in the 3rd row and the real issue is very difficult access, the 3rd row in the 4 runner must be truly awful. The highlander is a good vehicle for 5 passengers as the rear is quiet and relatively comfortable (rear seat is firm and rather flat)and it copes with the loading easily, but 3rd row is emergency use only. I would recommend the vehicle to others and the relative thought it was great but not the 3rd row and for that reason if one has practical considerations not the 4 seat arrangement with captains chairs over the bench seat as the 3rd row is rather useless even with the better access that arrangement provides.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The 3rd row is a joke lol. I have an elderly relative who on seeing the 3rd row was impressed and eager to try it out, they are small in stature around 5ft, so with some effort they got in and with the 2nd row adjusted we set of for a destination about 10 minutes away, durng the effort to get out they landed rather heavily and luckily didn't fall over or sustain injury, the extremely limited access coupled with the 8 inch ride height makes exit a rather risky exercise even possibly for agile children.Most reviewers concentrate on the lack of space in the 3rd row and the real issue is very difficult access, the 3rd row in the 4 runner must be truly awful. The highlander is a good vehicle for 5 passengers as the rear is quiet and relatively comfortable (rear seat is firm and rather flat)and it copes with the loading easily, but 3rd row is emergency use only. I would recommend the vehicle to others and the relative thought it was great but not the 3rd row and for that reason if one has practical considerations not the 4 seat arrangement with captains chairs over the bench seat as the 3rd row is rather useless even with the better access that arrangement provides.

I am selling the third row. The difficult thing is finding a buyer though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No remote caught me off guard, and was surprised that it wasn't standard with the Limited Platinum. Ended up costing me $1K!

The lane centering function on my LC 500 works better.

I installed a remote starter from 12volt.solutions for $250 I believe. The downside is that it has the garbage 100 ft range from factory though.

·
Registered
'16 Highlander LTD
507 Posts
The temp adjust knobs are impossible to adjust, as they need to stick out more so there’s something to grab, and the “detent” feel, when turning them is to weak, as you can’t hardly “feel” the detents. Also, Limited & Platinum’s ft passenger seat should also be the same as the drivers seat, either 8 or 10 way, and not the cheap 4way, which doesn’t go up or down.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
The 3rd row is a joke lol.

The 3rd row is for kids. I've used it ONCE....and my 6'6 nephew sat back there. I wouldn't ride back there...and I'm only 6'3.

the 3rd row in the 4 runner must be truly awful.

It was a joke.

But didn't buy either vehicle for the 3rd row. Never used. I do like the extra space behind the 2nd row. Can fit 2+ sets of golf clubs.

But if a 3rd row is a major concern.....then maybe the Sequoia.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The temp adjust knobs are impossible to adjust, as they need to stick out more so there’s something to grab, and the “detent” feel, when turning them is to weak, as you can’t hardly “feel” the detents. Also, Limited & Platinum’s ft passenger seat should also be the same as the drivers seat, either 8 or 10 way, and not the cheap 4way, which doesn’t go up or down.

I also wish for the horizontal part of the driver's seat to tilt, not just the front edge like on my 2017.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The 3rd row is for kids. I've used it ONCE....and my 6'6 nephew sat back there. I wouldn't ride back there...and I'm only 6'3.

It was a joke.

But didn't buy either vehicle for the 3rd row. Never used. I do like the extra space behind the 2nd row. Can fit 2+ sets of golf clubs.

But if a 3rd row is a major concern.....then maybe the Sequoia.
I have tried it out myself and I am 5' 11", I fit but my head was touching the headliner and getting out is awkward, I didn't buy the vehicle for the 3rd row and if someone needs seating for 6 or more on a regular basis get a sienna. The sequoia I could imagine having the same ' ' problem of getting in and out and could be worse because of the greater ride height, those sort of setups require a low ride height like a car to work best.

·
TableRocked
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmm. re point #1 - there are no HID headlights on the Highlander from factory! They are halogens behind projectors.
Thank u, I could have sworn I read the platinum package provided HIDs.... but maybe I’m wrong.... I’ll have to research my paperwork..... either way, they stink

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 3rd row is always folded up since my kids love to sit back there. They definitely use the running boards to help get in, where as I never use them.

I've sat in the 3rd row a few times just to try it out while my wife drives. I'm 6ft and it wasn't terrible, as long as the captain chair was pushed forward for more leg room and the 3rd row middle seat was empty.

Overall it's not great for taller adults, especially on long trips, but it works well for our family situation. When we purchased the HL I obviously knew the 3rd row wasn't even close to best in class. If 3rd row room/accessibility was super important, I would have gone with a bigger SUV. Still refuse to get a minivan...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Agreed, the factory halogens are really bad. First thing I did after purchasing my HL was install HIDs.

It's ridiculous that they are not standard.
The HID's are so good my female friend asked if they cleaned/replaced all the speed limit signs in my neighborhood because they looked so bright and shiny lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts