Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Goose
96 Toyota Vienta
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just a quick question:

What should I look at removing to make the car lighter/ what should I replace with better materials. I was looking at removing all the sound deadening under the car because it's a layer of Asphalt and is bound to be heavy. Anything else I should chisel off? :p

·
Asks many questions .....
441 Posts
I'm not sure of the reason you want to make it lighter but you can just use common sense in removing most items and depending on how far you want to go more weight can be removed.
Example: spare tire, jack, and unnecessary contents of the trunk are easy. From there you can begin removing rear seats, front passenger seat, interior panels and insulation, fender wells, radio and speakers.
Want more? Remove that pesky AC compressor, evaporator. and condensor coil, the heater core and their related controls. Inner fender liners are easy enough to remove. Stock steel wheels are often lighter than their aluminum counterparts.
Want more still? Acid dip fenders and body panels, or replace with carbon fiber or aluminum. Strip undercoating and sound deadening material replace window glass with plexi or lexan. Gut out the door hardware. Begin drilling lightening holes throughout. Etc. etc. etc.
It all depends on how far you want to take this exercise and you would be surprised how much weight can be removed easily, but it takes a lot of effort once the easy stuff is acomplished.

·
Goose
96 Toyota Vienta
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm trying to make a daily driver into a somewhat decent track car and sleeper. Tall ask but It'll be challenging :) This is exactly what I needed, Wasn't sure what I could keep or chuck without causing issues. :D

·
Asks many questions .....
441 Posts
I'm trying to make a daily driver into a somewhat decent track car and sleeper. Tall ask but It'll be challenging :) This is exactly what I needed, Wasn't sure what I could keep or chuck without causing issues. :D
What stays and what goes is all up to you. Stuff in your trunk is easy to return to the way it was. Removing HVAC systems and interior is not so easy to put back.
Unless you go all out it's going to be a compromise, but you'll have to decide where to draw the line with that compromise so that you can live with it as a daily driver too.

Good luck.

·
Home School Valedictorian
481 Posts
It would be easier for you to lose 5lbs than trying to remove the undercoating.

·
Goose
96 Toyota Vienta
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could do the undercoating and lose that 5 pounds haha. Although I'm only 75 kg and quite skinny so maybe losing weight wouldn't be a good thing.

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Camry V6
187 Posts
Basically what LE PEW said.

A few others:

Convert to manual transmission if you don't have it already, that should save around 60 lbs.

Replacing the standard car battery with a smaller car battery or a lithium battery can save around 10-30 lbs.

Replacing the driver's seat with a lightweight racing seat.
Replace power steering rack with manual steering rack. A lot of custom work and you might save only a few lbs.
I've heard that coilovers may save weight in some cars (unsure).

If you are looking for a competent track car, care should be taken not remove too much weight from the rear of the car. This will make the front of the car too heavy, which may result in understeer, unresponsive steering, and insufficient traction to the rear tires.

·
Goose
96 Toyota Vienta
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucky thing the car came as a 5 speed manual haha, just got a new battery unfortunately :\ Coilovers are installed though, definitely a lot lighter than the standard coils, not sure by how much but it'd have to be at least 2 kilo each corner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts