Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I mainly use my truck to pull my boat (1,500lbs), work at my house(8 acres) and drive to work. I am debating if I need a 4x4 or not. I currently own a RAM HEMI 4x4 but just wondering how good just having Limited Slip diff is compared to full 4x4?

2. I have done alot of research and it look like the 4x4 is getting the same mileage as the 4x2. Is that what everyone else is seeing also?

3. Do yall think I should wait for the 06's or do you think they will throw some incentives on the 05's?

·
short beds are ghey
495 Posts
KLSU said:
1. I mainly use my truck to pull my boat (1,500lbs), work at my house(8 acres) and drive to work. I am debating if I need a 4x4 or not. I currently own a RAM HEMI 4x4 but just wondering how good just having Limited Slip diff is compared to full 4x4?

2. I have done alot of research and it look like the 4x4 is getting the same mileage as the 4x2. Is that what everyone else is seeing also?

3. Do yall think I should wait for the 06's or do you think they will throw some incentives on the 05's?
I made the same move, as did NH05TACOMA (actually he made the same move, I came from a previous-generation 360 Ram.) The Limited Slip in my TRD sport works like crazy from what I can tell. It leaves perfect 11's on the pavement, and has stepped the tail out a time or two. I haven't played off-road to see how it does in severely low-traction situations, though. From what I've seen the 4x2 is rated at either 1 or 2mpg higher, but it seems nearly everyone in the mpg thread is claiming an average of 20-21, regardless of body style, drivetrain, etc. Mine's a 4x4 Access Cab 6-speed, and on the one tank I've run through I got 20mpg.

The '06s are going to have a tire pressure monitoring system, same system used on the '05 Tundra -- I have seen a lot of the Tundra owners griping and moaning about it being a pain in their butt, so I'd see what kind of deals could be had on an '05 (I just got mine last Friday, and got a screaming deal in my opinion.)

·
Toyota Fanboy
4,486 Posts
I think a Tacoma would fill your needs just fine.
I honestly cant see the 4x4 matching the 4x2's fuel economy. You are constantly turn the front differential and that adds drag to the driveline. If Toyota still used manual locking hubs I could see the MPG being the same, but thats not the case.
I would see if you could get a deal on an '05. I dont like the pressure montoring system the '06s are going to get. Its just more electronic BS to go wrong.
Cap'n

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've gotten 29.5mpg on my 4x2's 2.7L first tank, mostly highway, and 26.9 on the second tank closer to 50/50 city/highway.:clap: Most of the 4x2's seem to be the pre-runner which is heavier/higher and geared lower with wider tires. Seems toyota doesn't wanna sell the non-runner with the V6 which you need for towing?

·
Banned
1,301 Posts
Just Do it!!

You will love the truck. .

btw most dealers will let you keep the truck over night and up to 100 or soo miles . . .

N

·
0 Posts
KLSU said:

Well as the other guy posted I have done exactly what you may end up doing. I sold my 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4X4 w/HEMI to downsize( not to downsize the truck but my payment size and monthy fuel bill :lol: )to the Tacoma. The truck itself is okay my issues are related more to what I gave up not what I have. ;)

The biggest thing I have had to accustom myself to is the size difference. I felt like I was in a mansion living room on wheels in my QC Ram. I feel like I am in a 2 bedroom apartment( with little tiny windows )living room in the Tacoma. :lol: Not going to lie I also loved those 360 ponies( I did some mod's to up power a bit over the stock 345 ).

The Ram is just an awesome truck as you well know. The HEMI is a great motor too as you know. Getting rid of it and downsizing to the Tacoma is not going to be an easy thing. Wasn't for me anyway.

With all that said I was paying a lot to own the truck and the fuel bills were KILLING me! I had to do something while I could still get value for the truck. Once gas hits $3 I truly believe people will finally be impacted enough that there is going to be a major rush to make the move I did and you are thinking of. NOW is the time for you to act. In short order you will get nadda for your Ram. Even doing it now values on trades and private sales are way down due to the fad of employee pricing.

The Tacoma seems to be a very nice little truck. It is not a full size truck with a muscle car engine but it is no Yugo either. The 4.0L V6 actually puts out the same horse power numbers as the old 360 Rams and even better horse power then the 4.7L. Not as much torque but it is close and you have a 1500lbs lighter truck. The one big thing that has impreessed me with this truck is the power of the V6. This truck has plenty of get up and go when it is needed and it has enough power to tow with.

MPG has been great for me so far. Obviously it isn't 40MPG like you get in a little 3 or 4 cyl Scion or Geo but not bad at all for a powerful V6 4WD truck even if it is a smaller one. My 1st tank was 19MPG dead spot on with over 3/4 of the mileage drivin in stop and go city traffic. The second tank was mostly a highway trip and I got 21.93 MPG. First two tanks basically averaging out to 20MPG. That sure as heck is better then the 14-15MPG I got with the HEMI Ram. Same miles driven per 3/4 tank but only 13-14 gallons to fill instead of 19-20. BIG difference when you fill up 6 or 7 times a month.

I am hoping as the engine breaks in over the next few thousand miles that MPG goes up slightly. It has in every new vehicle I have owned anyway. I am already doing better then the sticker MPG rating though so I am already ahead if it stays the same. I hope it goes up though obviously. I also will run synthetic oil and differential fluid( gear oil )which should give me another .5-1MPG gain. If I can pull 22MPG average from this truck I will be more then happy. :smokin:

I will now try and answer your specific questions...

#1 - Should be no issue with the boat. More then enough power to tow that weight. I will be towing a 1200-1300lbs boat with mine. Even the 4cyl should be able to do it okay if you went that route. You don't need a 4X4 for weather reasons as I do( can you say New England winters )but if you routinely use your truck in an off road manner around your property you may want to consider it. 4X2 even with LS will not do as well in mud and such as a 4X4. Just the way it is - there is no weight in the back to aid with traction. Plus with a smaller lighter truck it would get stuck easier to begin with. My truck is the V6 4WD and you saw the MPG I get. If it were me I would go 4X4 but obviously that is your decision. Go with the Access or Double Cab if this is your daily driver. It will help with the downsizing effect a lot over a regular cab.

#2 - Already posted about MPG above. As stated I have a V6 4WD and I have got an average of 20MPG from the very first two tanks( just 18 miles when purchased ). Should get a bit better in time and with the synthetic fluids. I also went with the Double Cab so my truck is a bit heavier as well. I also opted for the 5Spd Auto. The autos seem to get slightly better MPG from all accounts vs standards. Never used to be that way but it seems to work out that way on the Tacoma anyway. $5 a gallon gas would hurt in this but up to $4 anyway it would be doable. Lets pray we never see it go past $3.50 but I suspect we will see $4 next summer.

#3 - Depends on what changes they make on the 06's that you may either want or dislike. If there are any 05's left on your local dealers lot when the 06's begin to arrive then you should get a good deal on a leftover. Some guys say there are no Tacomas available in their area. Here the local dealers have plenty.

Hope all this rambling helps you out some. Going from a Ram to a "Ricer" was not easy. The truck seems pretty good though and I am saving a lot of money during this fuel crisis. If it ever stabalizes, or they FINALLY do something about alternative fuels or full sized truck MPG, I would go back to a Ram or other Dodge truck. Until then I will drive something more economical like the Tacoma. From what I looked at out there from other mfg's this was the best option to go to leaving my beloved HEMI Ram.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info.

You are correct about the trade they want to offer me nothing on trade. Makes me sick.

I also like you love my RAM 4x4 off-road HEMI. I have owned 3 Dodge trucks and never had any problems so I am not leaving Dodge because of that just the gas mileage and the fact I don't really need a big truck anymore, plus the fact of gas getting so high I will be stuck with the truck is making me look at the move. I ONLY GET 13.1 ON A CONSISTANT BASIS so 20 mph will save me over $100.00 a month in gas with prices like they are right now. I don't think I will be happy with 4x2 so 4x4 is where I am going but just like other people there are slim pickings in my area so I might have to wait which really is a gamble. Again thanks for all the info

P.S. Doesn't Toyota 4x4 have an automatic disgage of the front axle when not in 4x4? Thought that might be a reason people are getting good mpg out of them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Hemi and wanted a daily driver for the longer drives to work (stop and go average is 11.4mpg). I originally planned on having the Tacoma replace the Dodge but after getting the Toyota decided to keep both and get rid my bike.

It wasnt as bad as I thought it would be but you do notice the lack of width compared to the Dodge. The seats are plusher in the Toyota and the interior is finished out nicer and the ride is much better. Power to weight ratio is not that far off between the two although under load (3000lbs+) the Hemi pulls alot better.

I have not been impressed with initial quality of my Toyota though. People dog Dodges all the time but in the 48k miles I have put on the Dodge it has never given me a single problem. The truck has never been back to the dealer and has never had the annoyances of the Toyota. The Toyota has been to the dealer 3 times in 4k miles (Bad front tire, transmission shudder, truck leans to the left). Now the shake is back in the front end and Im giving up on the stock Dunlops and putting BF Goodrich tires on this weekend. BTW my Dodge came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trails load range E and they have never been balance and ride like the day I got the truck after 48k miles.

I think the Toyota payload is grossly overrated and the Dealer just says thats the way Toyota is. My Raptor 660 loaded int he back cause the truck to bottom out on every dip on the HWY. I have stopped using the Toyota to carry the 4 wheeler or anything over 500lbs and use the Dodge for that.

All in all Im happy as I looked at getting a car but ended up getitng a truck the drove smooth and got good mpg. But if you really work the truck (1500lbs of top soil etc) dont expect the Toyota to replace your Dodge in that respect but it should pull what your wanting to pull just fine.

And dont think Im just going off on how great Dodge's are. I have owned 4 GM's and 3 Ford's (all purchased new) and the Dodge was the best of all of them followed closing by my 2k F150 and far far behind by the GM's.

And as far as LSD, I wo8uld get it regardless if you get 2wd or 4wd.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I ended up putting Bridgestone Revo's on today and what a difference. But now I have a set of the Dunlops sitting in my garage that I hates to just give to the tire shop.

N

·
0 Posts
Darnefnet said:
I ended up putting Bridgestone Revo's on today and what a difference. But now I have a set of the Dunlops sitting in my garage that I hates to just give to the tire shop.
I did the EXACT same thing on my truck. Those Dunlops had to go after the awful customer feedback I read on them plus the fact they were out of balance right from the factory( one of the major feedback issues was they could never balance them even with multiple attempts ). Just 18 miles and the truck shook like hell when I left the dealer and headed onto the highway. :wtf:

Do what I did and sell them privately. I lucked out and hit a guy literally just 10 minutes after I posted a for sale thread on a local forum on a duck hunting site I use. He needed some tires in that size for his commuter truck and I had 4 brand new tires I didn't want sitting in my truck bed so it worked out great for both of us. He seemed to be aware of the tire brand and all as I guess his buddy has an 05 Tacoma with them and he seemed to actually be pleased with the deal. I got $300 for the set of 4 with 150 miles on them which I thought was a good deal for both sides. That was $75 each which is what Tirerack sells them for( shipping extra )but locally they ranged from $100-$150 each( yeah, as much at the highest place as the Revo's I bought - not even close quality wise ).

If your Dunlop tires are the Grandtrek AT20 M+S then more then likely they are size P245/75R16. That is a very popular size for small pickups and SUV's. Even a few full size trucks used them. Advertise them in a local classifieds ad and post them on various web sites where you think someone might be interested( that allows for sale threads ).

If they are basically new take offs as mine were then start them at $350 BRO. If they have been used then adjust lower accordingly. Just be sure and make any potential buyer aware they are buying them AS IS with no warranty expressed or implied by you the seller AND if you do sell them be sure to make the buyer sign a bill of sale where it states that( ie; about no warranty ). KEEP a copy of it for a while.

You don't have to say the tires suck( buyer beware - they need to do their own research on them - it is out there and very easy to find )just be honest and say you wanted to run Revo's as they are your tire of choice. I have a 100% clear mind over the ones I sold as I really did prefer Revo's. I never said anything about the tires being good or bad in the ad either. Just simply...

FOR SALE:
(4) Dunlop Grandtrek AT20 M+S tires
Size P245/75R16
150 Mile take offs in brand new condition
$350 BRO.
(***Sold as set only***)

That covers you. If the person asks why you are selling them say you wanted a true AT tire rather then the car style tread of the Dunlops and/or that Revo's are the tires you really want. As said, that is how I did it and I sleep very well thank you :smokin:

You will LOVE the Revo's btw.

Sorry we went:eek:t:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I made the same move 11 months ago. Traded a RED Dodge 4x4 qc Hemi that I absolutely loved driving (not feeding). I got 11 to 13 mpg's. I traded for an 05 Tacoma 4x4 dc in speedway blue. The biggest adjustment is as described above, the size. The biggest hit was the trade value!!! But the biggest benifit is the 18 to 20 mpg I get consistently on a 14 mile on way commute interstate. My wife driving it gets 21.

I pull an 18 ft Ranger bass boat fully rigged 60 miles one way to the nearest watering hole and the Tacoma pulls it fine, it knows it's back there, but it pulls it fine.

Hope this helps...........still miss my Dodge sometimes!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
As for pulling a boat, I pull an 18' bayliner (around 2200 lbs with rigging and trailor) and it pulls it great with my 05 Tacoma Dbl Cab Sprt with 4.0 engine. The rear end barely even squats with the trailor on. I get about 15 miles to the gallon when towing boat, and normally get around 19.5 without the boat. I haven't had to use 4wd with it yet while towing and the tires haven't spun up the boat ramp yet. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
kytaco
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing