Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying a used Highlander (2005-2008) and wanted to know if anyone had any issues with one. I have an 97 RAV4 that this will be replacing and was originally considering a RAV4, but in my area, I'm finding Highlanders for close to the same price as a RAV4. I would like more space than the RAV4, if possible.

For a family get-around-town car, Is there any downside to going with the 4cyl Highlander instead of a RAV4 ?

Acceleration ? Fuel economy ?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
35,703 Posts
Since no one has responded to your thread here in the Lounge let me move it over to the 01-07 HL forum.

Personally, since you're emphasizing an interest in space, I'd suggest opting for the 2008+ Highlander that is larger than the 1st Gen, but then again it'll cost you more too. Just food for thought. BTW, I get 19/20 city and 27/28 highway mileage with my 2008.

·
Registered
639 Posts
The 06-07 Highlander is virtually bullet proof in terms of reliability and maint cost. We had an 06 for a couple of years and traded for an 07 Limited. Some folks have had serious engine problems with the 4 cyl....head bolts or something like that.

The V6 gets decent mileage, very smooth, and very reliable low maint cost motor.

The 07s at all trim levels come standard with 6 airbags (front, side, and curtain). Earlier models have optional added airbags so be careful what you are getting if you care about airbags.

We looked at 08-09 Highlanders but felt the quality level had slipped a little in the later gen.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just acquired a 03 and it has been very well maintained. It has 83 thousand miles on it and runs like a dream. Rides very nice and comfortable. It still feels and drives like a brand new vehicle.

It is enough space for me, but then again I am not sure what space you are looking for. It is definitely larger than the RAV. The 08 and newer are much bigger than my 03. The 10's are going for $40 and up new, especially if you do the hybrid. I think you could find a used 2003-2007 with decent mileage on it for about $10,000 and up. The lower the mileage the more expensive. So unless you are not looking for a new vehicle I would strongly suggest a used Highlander that has been well maintained. These SUV's can take a beating and keep going. With good care and a good driving history the vehicle maintains a new look years past the purchase. Mine is 7 years old and it still looks new inside and out. See links for pictures.

I load two 10 foot Kayaks and all the gear in the back with room to spare. The rear seats fold down completely flat and you have ample space for camping gear and coolers ect. You can even leave one set of seats up and just put one side down for longer items if you still need to tote a back seat passenger. My series highlander is built on the Camry and Lexus frame and rides as nice as any passenger car. It is very comfortable.

I can let you know at least from my experience I have a 4 cyl, 2AZ FE and let me tell you I do not have a bit of a problem with acceleration and climbing hills. Unless you plan on towing anything a 4 cyl is great gas mileage, and appears to have ample horse power and torque for normal driving. I see mostly 6 cyl out there in the used market, and you would definitely be satisfied (I think.) My HL gets 26 HWY and about 20 city. I have to climb allot of hills and that burns a little more fuel, but you can't beat the power for a small 4cyl 2AZ FE. I think you will be pleased with any Highlander providing it has been well cared for. They are a very dependable vehicle and have great crash tests. Good luck in your choice and purchase. Please share with the forum what you end up going with. :O)

Here are some photo's of mine:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb473/mikecoder3/DSC00610.jpg

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb473/mikecoder3/DSC00611.jpg

·
Registered
1999 Nissan Maxima
134 Posts
We've had a 2002 Highlander since new. Great vehicle, rock solid. Just make sure that it's been maintained and the owner can show some proof of maintenance. Ohio is pretty flat and not really much snow, so yeah the 4-cylinder would probably do just fine if you're not expecting a whole ton of performance and especially if you get a FWD version. Just test drive one and see if you're ok with it. I like the V6.

·
Registered
213 Posts
To be honest, I find the 4 cyl a little under powered for the Highlander. The 3.3 is a fantastic motor with ample power and coupled with the 5 spd auto fuel economy really does not suffer much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts