Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I found this really clean '95 Avalon for sale at a used car lot here in Ca. The car is a '95 avalon with cloth seats, black paint, alloys, power windows, no sun-roof. The car has 123,000 miles, with 4,000 of these miles put on by the dealer himself. The dealer told me that he only had to replace one drive axle on the car, but other then that he has not done much except for oil changes and replacing the spark plugs. The guy wants $4,500 out the door.

He told me that he even drove the car out to Laughlin and down to San Diego, and that the car purrs like a cat with no problems. He went on to say that the car's temperature is constant, does not fluctuate, nor does it overheat.

He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced. The car started with a simple turn of the key, and he openned the hood so that I could see the engine running. It didn't have any sort of audible problems, but the engine compartment was dirty, there was some from what I could see, oil comming from the valve cover, but other then that no other visible issues.

The dealer said that he did not have this engine detailed and really doesn't like to have his engines detailed cause it can cause havoc on the sensors and electrical connectors, at least this is what he claims.

On the bright side, he stated that the car is a one owner car and it looks like the car was well maintained.

If I buy the car, I would use it as a daily drive, putting on at minimum 400 miles a week, so I want a car that is dependable, and easy to maintain. If I buy the car at minimum I will have the timing belt replaced, replace the spark plugs, and give it an oil change to start.

What do you guys think ??

I figure, that if the dealer is using the car as his own, the car is solid.

PLEASE Let me know,

Thanks,

reezytercel

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
We bought a similar 95 Avalon a couple years ago. It had 144,000 on it when we got it (it was never maintained, save for oil) and the only things that have gone wrong is it needing new seals on the front axles (a common problem for first gen Avalons) at 165,000, an O2 sensor at 170,000 and a new rear brake rotor at 198,000. It has 204,000 now and the rear struts are on their way out, but they are origional.

We put 60,000 miles on this car in 2.5 years too (20,000 of which were by me, and I drove it hard), and it has held up extremely well. It does feel like it has lost some power recently but the spark plugs are in dire need of replacement...in fact it really needs a full tune-up. It floats down the highway at 80+, feeling like youre sitting still.

If you do get this car, remember to use premium gas...you'll enjoy 30+ MPG on the highway with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The BEST money you will ever spend on this car is to get it inspected by somebody that knows these cars. Suspension, steering, brakes, transmission, cooling system etc need to be examined. That money could save you many times over. It might also allow you to negotiate. These are great cars with a few known areas that need attention know and then. At 98K, I have no doubt that mine will go another 100K, but I did need to do some known repairs after I bought it.

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
I recommend the avalon, but like sloopercat said, get a trusted mechanic to check. Also take it out for a test drive. Screw taking it on the highway, drive on the road that you would usual drive, if the dealer is close by. Drive it for 30min if you need to. Remember you spend your money on it so make sure the ride comfort going to the places you usually go too feels good with the new car. Good luck with the sale and these avalons are built to withstand meteor showers so its good to go!

·
Registered
Avalon
262 Posts
Slooperguy is right on.
I have to believe if your asking you don't know what to look for and for the $100 or so you should let someone that knows whats going on take a look.
The most you will be out is the $100 or so.

This car can be expensive to fix if you overlook something (like tranny fluid for example)

Just for reference.

1999 Avalon XL
Leather, Sunroof, dent in rear bumper, tires about gone, fully dealer serviced, alarm, 150K miles, owned by cardiology company with highway miles.
$4800 with tax included in 2003 or 4. From stealership

1997 Avalon XL
Leather, Snroof, exterior fair (missing clearcoat on door handles, wheels missing some paint), timing just replaced, new rotors and pads and new exhaust) interior very nice, alarm. Physician owned. 90K miles $5100 out the door (with $300 tax). Private seller

I know quite a bit about these cars if you have a specific question? They are a hell of a value in a luxury car.

·
Registered
355 Posts
As already mentioned have someone look it over. The front suspension is a known weak point and could add up. The T-belt/waterpump is also expensive relatively speaking. Check for engine sludge and the tranny oil and clunks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts