Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
My wife currently has a 2014 Venza and we are thinking about buying a 2019 HL XLE, FWD. I just wanted to ask other members what they think of their HLs. The pros and cons.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander
26 Posts
I have a 2019 AWD Highlander Platinum package....
~No digital speedometer, only analog. Fixed with a USB plug-and-play aftermarket heads up display placed on center of dash. Displays transparent digital speed on windshield.
~Ambient lighting (doors, dash shelf) dims way down when moved from Park to Drive or Reverse....too dim...no option to remove dimming.
~Very comfortable seating....front and middle captains chairs are excellent. Third row....not so much.
~Very difficult for an average adult to get in and out of third row seating....we have our third row folded down for more cargo room.
~Infotainment system is not cell phone friendly (IPhone and Android)
~Most changeable options are dealer only changes. This means taking it in to the dealership and paying for them to use their Techstream to change options.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
~No digital speedometer, only analog. Fixed with a USB plug-and-play aftermarket heads up display placed on center of dash. Displays transparent digital speed on windshield.
~Ambient lighting (doors, dash shelf) dims way down when moved from Park to Drive or Reverse....too dim...no option to remove dimming.
~Very comfortable seating....front and middle captains chairs are excellent. Third row....not so much.
~Very difficult for an average adult to get in and out of third row seating....we have our third row folded down for more cargo room.
~Most changeable options are dealer only changes. This means taking it in to the dealership and paying for them to use their Techstream to change options.
Thank you for the feedback. How's everything running mechanically?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
From a Venza (which trim level) going to a Highlander (HL) may feel a slight down grade and will feel sizable larger is space as well as handling. Venza, depending on trim level (assuming with the V6 engine), has a larger wheel on a shorter and lighter chassis than HL assuming you are not needing the extra space or the 3rd row seating; a comparable model, in my opinion, may be the Lexus SUV. ;)

·
Registered
2019 Highlander
26 Posts
Thank you for the feedback. How's everything running mechanically?
I special ordered it in Tampa, Florida area....flew down and then drove it 5,000 miles back home to the interior of Alaska. I ordered it with the interior illumination package (not sure if that is still available as I can't find it as an option anymore on Toyota.com) I also had the dealer install a remote start and block heater. During the drive back to AK, the interior illumination (ambient lighting) and dash lighting stopped working. I made it to Whitehorse, Yukon and found the Toyota dealership there. After their technicians went through it, they determined the lighting electronic control unit had to be rebooted with explicit and exacting step-by-step instructions. They could not give me an answer as to why it happened in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello Everyone,
My wife currently has a 2014 Venza and we are thinking about buying a 2019 HL XLE, FWD. I just wanted to ask other members what they think of their HLs. The pros and cons.
Thanks.
Just bought a 2019 hybrid on 2 Jan. Here are my thoughts:

Pros - great ride, great economy, well constructed interior and exterior, sits high so I can see (not a modified van), handles very well, good acceleration (It's a hybrid 6. Last year for that). Auto high beam is great! Auto wipers took some getting use to but are great.

Cons - No Android Auto, no way to adjust the sensitivity of the sound level for road noise (it's fixed and ineffective), cruise control is a separate handle on the steering column and awkward to reach, menu on the drivers screen is awkward, SMX doesn't show station logo, just the number.

Hope that helps. AATW!

·
Registered
14 Posts
One more thing... when braking with the hybrid the brakes grab as you get to the end of the stop causing a lurch in your forward momentum. But I can live with that.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I special ordered it in Tampa, Florida area....flew down and then drove it 5,000 miles back home to the interior of Alaska. I ordered it with the interior illumination package (not sure if that is still available as I can't find it as an option anymore on Toyota.com) I also had the dealer install a remote start and block heater. During the drive back to AK, the interior illumination (ambient lighting) and dash lighting stopped working. I made it to Whitehorse, Yukon and found the Toyota dealership there. After their technicians went through it, they determined the lighting electronic control unit had to be rebooted with explicit and exacting step-by-step instructions. They could not give me an answer as to why it happened in the first place.
I have a 2016 XLE,which didn't have ambient lightning. I got the blue lights on Ebay for around $17-18,and installed them in a few hours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Which blue lights did you purchase? And where did you install them?
I installed them on each door card,and one in the dashboard.I got them from Ebay-if you search Highlander ambient lights,you will find them.They come in other colors too like red and white if you wish.

·
Registered
192 Posts
We just traded in our 2015 LE 4cyl Venza with 19K for an 2019 LE Highlander V6 as the wife likes the Highlander but NOT the 2020 model changes. Had a 2008 Highlander we traded in for the Venza. Odd but nice dependable vehicle! Wife is not into all the bells and whistles!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
What HUD did you get and from where? Is the cable in the way? I might try that out.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander
26 Posts
I got it off of Amazon. It shows that it's not currently available from Amazon. I have it sitting on the slight angle in the center of the dash (part of it is sitting on the speaker) . I have the cord tucked in the crevice along the windshield heading towards the passenger side. I worked it into the crevice on the passenger side (with the door open). There is about an inch of the cord exposed where it travels from the crevice to the dash tray. I didn't like how the cord was seen in the tray so I installed a few small pieces of velcro to mount it to the upper part of the dash tray. So, the only exposed or visible part is the one inch section coming from the passenger door to the dash tray.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I got it off of Amazon. It shows that it's not currently available from Amazon. I have it sitting on the slight angle in the center of the dash (part of it is sitting on the speaker) . I have the cord tucked in the crevice along the windshield heading towards the passenger side. I worked it into the crevice on the passenger side (with the door open). There is about an inch of the cord exposed where it travels from the crevice to the dash tray. I didn't like how the cord was seen in the tray so I installed a few small pieces of velcro to mount it to the upper part of the dash tray. So, the only exposed or visible part is the one inch section coming from the passenger door to the dash tray.
Lisa, I assume your HUD is powered by the on-board OBD-II plug under the driver-side dash? Only as reference, I know of one other Highlander owner also installed a HUD, he routed a part of its wiring same as you by tucked in the crevice along the windshield, from there he routed the rest of the wire down through the gap next to driver-side dash speaker (he make a small slit on the side of the speaker grill to fit the wire through), so the wire is all hidden...

P.S. Very impressed with your first post about driven 5000+ miles home. (y)

·
Registered
2019 Highlander
26 Posts
Actually it is a USB plug-n-play. So where I have it run, it plugs into one of the USB ports provided under the dash tray.
Thank you! It was a wonderful trip!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Actually it is a USB plug-n-play. So where I have it run, it plugs into one of the USB ports provided under the dash tray.
Thank you! It was a wonderful trip!
Nice! I wish we had more choices for Toyota in Alaska..and not just Kendall.

I have a 2017 XLE Hybrid that I really like. I just ripped out the factory Entune unit and replaced it with a Sony aftermarket model so I would have Apple Airplay. It’s a big upgrade!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Highlander
26 Posts
Any chance you could take a few photos of it in the vehicle? Does it fit perfectly where the oem one was?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any chance you could take a few photos of it in the vehicle? Does it fit perfectly where the oem one was?
I’m on a trip right now so I can’t send any pictures, but yes it does fit nicely.

Take a look at this thread...this person has the same unit and there are some pictures of how it looks. It is what convinced me to go with the Sony.

2019 Highlander CarPlay with Sony XAV8000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts