Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about installing a turbo on my camry. It's a 2.2l 5sfe and I'm having a tough time finding a turbo manifold. All I can find seems to be for a 2.0l. Will that work or no? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You can do one of two things.

1. Build up your 2.2L and build everything custom for the turbo. There's a link with info right here. It's a pricey process, and involves having deep pockets.

2. Do a 3S-GTE Swap. Perhaps less expensive than building the 2.2L, but still a lot of work. Custom mounts, cutom turbo manifold, custom exhaust, and a lot more, as you can see in the thread.

Is your Camry 3rd gen or 4th gen?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Joined hours ago, first post is asking to turbo a Camry. This is gonna be good.
Yeah yeah, I know, but not everyone's first post about boosting their Camry is a troll/noob...
You gotta give SOME benefit of doubt, right?
I mean who thought I was serious when I first posted about boost/swapping my Camry?

·
500,000 + Miles
2000 Solara
432 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to tubo a V6? Maybe I'm missing the point and the 4 cylinder needs the extra power. My brother had one of the old 1998? turbo diesel Camrys.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Wouldn't it make more sense to tubo a V6? Maybe I'm missing the point and the 4 cylinder needs the extra power. My brother had one of the old 1998? turbo diesel Camrys.
Well, the 5sfe was a lot more common to find. Also, the 5sfe engine bay has a lot more room in it making it (air quote) easier to do.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes, it would, if we're talking strictly 5SFE vs 1MZFE. It has more to do with whatcha already got, or what you got handed down to you. Nobody is buying a Camry with the intention of turbocharging it. If you add an engine swap on top of trying to make a custom turbo setup, the time and cost quickly spiral out of control.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's a video I found recently:
Project Grannypants, how to turbo a camry in 7 days. Spent $10k plus and had race grade equipment. It's in Australia and the 3zvfe engine, I believe.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,412 Posts
Here's a video I found recently:
Project Grannypants, how to turbo a camry in 7 days. Spent $10k plus and had race grade equipment. It's in Australia and the 3zvfe engine, I believe.
Only difference is they got a shop, tools, hardware, skills, money, and contacts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, kind of posted that because it had good parts about theory and supporting upgrades. Kind of like a pro turbo install. Their target was 900+hp. That was where I found out about the basics of things like the oil return etc etc. Most 3-4th gen Camry performance stuff seems to have died out. Which is a shame because there are still so many around.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts