Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yeah, kind of posted that because it had good parts about theory and supporting upgrades. Kind of like a pro turbo install. Their target was 900+hp. That was where I found out about the basics of things like the oil return etc etc. Most 3-4th gen Camry performance stuff seems to have died out. Which is a shame because there are still so many around.
What performance stuff? There wasn't any to begin with, aside from springs, sway bars, and 1 exhaust manufacturer.
There was 1 homebrew turbo kit offered by some guy, but that got little traction for multiple reasons.
Engine performance mods, there was only camshafts, and even those were all custom grinds and few were ever made. UnorthodoxRacing made aluminum crank pulley, which was super controversial and stuff of internet forum crusades. Few remain in the wild.
The handful of Turbo builds were all custom, for I4 and V6. Some guy cobbled together a centrifugal supercharger using a kit that was designed for a different engine, but that thing didn't last because the SC was crap (as most centrifugal SC's are).
What am I missing?

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,330 Posts
What performance stuff? There wasn't any to begin with, aside from springs, sway bars, and 1 exhaust manufacturer.
There was 1 homebrew turbo kit offered by some guy, but that got little traction for multiple reasons.
Engine performance mods, there was only camshafts, and even those were all custom grinds and few were ever made. UnorthodoxRacing made aluminum crank pulley, which was super controversial and stuff of internet forum crusades. Few remain in the wild.
The handful of Turbo builds were all custom, for I4 and V6. Some guy cobbled together a centrifugal supercharger using a kit that was designed for a different engine, but that thing didn't last because the SC was crap (as most centrifugal SC's are).
What am I missing?
Way back in the day, there were super charger kits from Toyota for the 2.2L, but they were $2500 back then. It would have been cheaper to upgrade to a V6 just like today.
W95c

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,542 Posts
Way back in the day, there were super charger kits from Toyota for the 2.2L, but they were $2500 back then. It would have been cheaper to upgrade to a V6 just like today.
W95c
It was a different era. Then again I feel that my Camry is still new despite it only be 12 years old.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
W95c
Those were not offered through Toyota, some dealer put together a kit and offered it directly - there was no Toyota warranty like there would have been on the TRD V6 SC. If you had an issue, you'd have to deal with that particular dealer (same deal with the Burien Toyota turbo kit, though that one failed for different reasons)
Besides, those i4 kits used centrifugal SCs like I mentioned above, and they barely lasted 12k miles before the SC quit because it was garbage to begin with. Not a kit you want, and no wonder they stopped selling them.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,330 Posts
Those were not offered through Toyota, some dealer put together a kit and offered it directly - there was no Toyota warranty like there would have been on the TRD V6 SC. If you had an issue, you'd have to deal with that particular dealer (same deal with the Burien Toyota turbo kit, though that one failed for different reasons)
Besides, those i4 kits used centrifugal SCs like I mentioned above, and they barely lasted 12k miles before the SC quit because it was garbage to begin with. Not a kit you want, and no wonder they stopped selling them.
I guess it was a cobbled kit. I found this list:
TRD supercharged engine list (model year)
When install is performed by a Toyota dealer, the 3/36,000 mile warranty extends to the supercharger, otherwise the vehicle retains the factory warranties and the supercharger is covered by a 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty. As of 2015 all TRD Superchargers have been discontinued and ceased production, but all warranties will still be acknowledged.[5][6]

1ZZ-FE 1.8 L I4 (Roots)
  • 2003–04 Matrix
  • 2003–04 Corolla
  • 2003–04 Pontiac Vibe (factory warranty from GM rather than Toyota, but same rules apply)
2AZ-FE 2.4 L I4 (centrifugal)
1MZ-FE 3.0 L V6 (Roots)
  • 1994–96 Camry Requires minor modification. (discontinued)
  • 1997–00 Camry (discontinued)
  • 1998–00 Sienna (discontinued)
  • 1999–00 Solara (discontinued)
5VZ-FE 3.4 L V6 (Roots)
2GR-FZE 3.5 L V6 (Roots)
  • 2008– TRD Aurion (factory installed, world's first Eaton TVS supercharged production car)[7]
1GR-FE 4.0 L V6 (Roots)
  • 2005–2015 Tacoma
  • 2007–09 FJ Cruiser
  • 2003-09 4Runner
1FZ-FE 4.5 L I6
2UZ-FE 4.7 L V8
3UR-FE 5.7 L V8 (Roots, Eaton TVS, air to liquid intercooler)
W95c

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry my bad, I meant no performance "videos". Or even updated articles. There's the video I posted and Rex H on youtube is doing a new vid about a v6 swap. Most other videos are not in HD for example.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I told you so... Over the years of seeing "brah, how do 1 trbo my camery" posts I have developed a finely tuned nose on which posters even stand a chance and would be worth wasting the breath on.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Maybe some old member registered a new ID to play with ya

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Subaru BRZ
1,809 Posts
Haha, not really

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm thinking about installing a turbo on my camry. It's a 2.2l 5sfe and I'm having a tough time finding a turbo manifold. All I can find seems to be for a 2.0l. Will that work or no? Any help would be appreciated.
It could possibly work but I know someone who did turbo their 4th gen and it blew the motor

21 - 40 of 40 Posts