Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was at the grocery store today and saw an older reg cab yota with atleast a 6inch lift maybe 9 with about 38's and i really liked the way it looked. its different because u never see a reg cab that high. the only problem with mine is that i cant afford a 6inch lift, so i know it sounds bad, but for now im thinking about adding a 3inch body to the toytec so i can have 6inches with 35's. was wanting some feedback of what yall think.

·
need to find money tree
2005 Tacoma
1,978 Posts
If it were me, Id save the money for the 6" suspension lift and do it right. Body lifts are :gaydumbo: in my opinion.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
how long until you can offord a 6 in lift?

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
docindahouze said:
how long until you can offord a 6 in lift?
along damn time, since im in college i couldnt do it until i graduate and have a real job, then i just have to worry bout buyiing a house, so a body lift is the only way.

·
A.K.A. Ty
2005 Tacoma TRD OR
768 Posts
You won't be able to fit 35s with a body lift. The only way to run them is to get at least a 6" suspension lift so the front tires will clear the front cab mount. I'd just wait if I were you. 33s look funny with 6" lift.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
Dude- seriously! Just put on your Toytec and go with it... 35s with a 4 banger sounds like a recipe for disaster...

And body lifts are uber gay...

And no offense to anyone running a 6" lift because some on here are done with taste and look great, but most just look like the driver is compensating for something...

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
yeah, body lifts are no bueno. not to mention 35's and bigger start costing you $, and by your description, you lack that part. (that's why i run 285's !) my dealership lifts tacomas all the time with 35's-but they don't do anything to make up for the power loss. if you've ever driven an older bodystyle truck or 4runner with a 3.0L v6, it is almost that bad. major power loss-even with the 6, if you have a 4cyl., that's another story too......
i say stick with what you got!

·
Toyotanation
6,972 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:
Dude- seriously! Just put on your Toytec and go with it... 35s with a 4 banger sounds like a recipe for disaster...

????^^^^
Well here's my old toyota truck 1995 with 42" tires?? 4 banger and the 22R engine!

You just need to be aware that you will have substantial power loss!!
But I don't think any disasters????LOL!!!

Oh?! Here is my first Toyota!!

20R 4 banger!!! its a 1980 Toyota! I could Fog the tires!! those are 36" tires. (but you do need to do it in 4LO without locking the hubs) :lol: :lol:

·
Humble Servant
2012 DC PreRun Auto
1,158 Posts
pointerDixie214 said:

... but most just look like the driver is compensating for something...
I've always been at a loss for WHY such things are done.
You take an expensive vehicle, engineered as a whole, then start spending big bucks to mod it in ways that ruin the handling and impair safety. I can understand a lift to some extent if you're offroading, but seriously, how much is enough? Maybe it's just the engineer in me that thinks in terms of form following function and efficient use of limited resources.

But as for the safety aspects - I speak from first hand knowledge as well as an academic viewpoint. You lift the vehicle, you raise the center of mass, you put larger, spongier tires - the combination seriously impairs rollover resistance, body roll and pitch, and, combined with the larger rolling radius, braking ability. You can compensate for the rolling radius with bigger discs (that's diSC :rolleyes: ), but the roll and pitch effects of the lifted mass will result in additional weight transfer during evasive maneuvers and braking, which you can't resolve without adding a huge amount of unsprung mass -which then further impairs handling and ruins the ride.

More importantly -the experience part- just a few years ago, some teenager with ego issues ran into the rear of my wife's 9 day old Honda Odyssey with his lifted pc o crap Ford pickup. (we had been stopped at the signal light, on a bright sunny afternoon, for several minutes) He claimed his brakes failed - I think he just wasn't paying attention because the lane adjacent was empty, yet he smacked us nearly dead center. His (lifted) bumper hit the tailgate at mid-height, destroying it, ruining the qtr panels, throwing glass all the way to the dash board, and even crumpling the roof of the van right behind the driver's seat. Over $10K in damage. While I don't know how much damage would have occurred if he had struck the bumper or near it, as I don't know his speed at the time, any impact at mid-height of the tailgate is going to be expensive and dangerous.

So why is it worth spending a lot of money to ruin the performance of a well-engineered vehicle?

·
Registered
641 Posts
If you're going to really use the 6" lift, and 35's, you're going to need a solid axle up front and gears+lockers. Talk about $$$ Plus 6" is too much for 35's, thats what a sawzall is for!:D

Seriously, do you really want to be the "mall crawler" that everyone laughs at?:D

·
Registered
641 Posts
toku58 said:
????^^^^
Well here's my old toyota truck 1995 with 42" tires?? 4 banger and the 22R engine!

You just need to be aware that you will have substantial power loss!!
But I don't think any disasters????LOL!!!

Oh?! Here is my first Toyota!!

20R 4 banger!!! its a 1980 Toyota! I could Fog the tires!! those are 36" tires. (but you do need to do it in 4LO without locking the hubs) :lol: :lol:
I know you meant 1985 on that first pic!;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
^ Great Answer Chipper. And just like my F250, when you are in 2 ft of sloppy mud your stock tires and stock ride height aren't gonna get you anywhere. And most lifted truck drivers drive with a greater attention to detail because they don't want to wreck what they spent hard earned money on. But as with everything in life there are going to be people who do things the wrong way and aren't careful. What can ya do?

·
GO GATORS!!
2007 Toyota Tacoma
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeh sorry guys, i had been drinking a little and started thinking crazy. im just going to put on the toytec i have at home a later upgrade to the 285's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts