Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mitsubishi Diamante Owner
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 (4.5) Camry with around 70k miles now. my girlfriend, however, drive a '91 (gen 4) Accord with 202k miles on it (about 3k aren't clocked on the odometer because the speedo only works half the time now). I want to buy her a newer car with less miles.

I'm thinking of buying a gen 3 or gen 3.5 for her. 4 doors, automatic, less than 100k miles or just barely over. What are these cars going for street value now?

Dealerships around here are asking too much big time! The place I bought my Altima from they were asking 5k. I talked them down to 3800. I totalled that one though so I can't give that to her. I want to get a bank loan but I don't want to pay more than 4k. Is this a reasonable price point for me to be looking at?

This is what I mean about dealerships being pricey:
http://www.ronhibbard.com/templates/dlr/main.cfm?section=pr&subsection=details&id=11576679&vin=4T1SK13E6SU511400

·
nub
313 Posts
you might be stretching it at that price with that low mileage. most of the ones i see around here have about 120k for about 5-6k.

·
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just looked on Kelly's Blue Book. Those Gen 3s hold their value better than 4s looks like!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I bought my gen3 v6 with 150000 mile for $3500. But I had to change tires and do a bunch of misc replacements especially in the interior. i.e. Cracked pieces, blown bulbs, bad tires etc. I am replacing suspension and have already done wheels and tires so..
I didnt do a great haggle down and I think it could have gone for a hair cheaper. Engine is very solid, think it was rebuilt but tran is weak. I have seen i4s for $3000.

Best thing to do is secure your own loan and go shop. The power of money is everything in buying cars.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I own a 96 Camry V6 LE, 108000 miles, KBB value on it is just over $6000, plus I have a $500 sound system in it and I spent $2500 doing repairs on it at 102000 miles. The only problem I'm having is the tranny, it's pretty weak and I think it's gonna die soon. But if can find one with under 100000 miles in decent condition, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
i bought my 96 Le for $5000 even tax and everything about 2 months ago. 76,5xx miles. Put in new raidator, fan and temp gauge about 500$ over all. All in all $5500 for the car prefectly running. car is very decent.

·
Traitor
332 Posts
even if it has more than 100,000 miles if its in good shape it will last for another 100,000 miles

·
Traitor
332 Posts
kman10587 said:
Yeah, the only thing I'd worry about is the automatic transmission.
what would be bad about the auto tranny??? my gen 3 has 120,000 and the tranny is holding up good

·
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A Kia dealership has a couple gen3s they said today. I'm gonna check them out sometime this week. Local trade-ins. You can usually talk them down quite a bit because they don't know anything about the cars....

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
I got my V6 LE about 3 years ago fully loaded for $6000 US with only 84,000 Miles at the time.. The only thing wrong with it is that it has a noisy lifter. Other that that everything is good and strong.

·
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found a '93 with leather and sunroof (mileage unknown right now) for $4997 at a Cadillac dealer in Nashville last night. Also found a '96 v6 for $5499 and on the same lot a '95 with 123k miles for $5499.

I have a lot of checking out to do I guess. I really wanted to keep it in the price range I set because I still have my payments on my Camry... I don't want the gen3 to be as much a month as my gen 4!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Just keep looking, you'll find a deal eventually

Around here I see gen3's trade hands for pretty much anywhere between 2500 and up (private party)... I bought mine for 1900 and the guy thought that was a "fair price" for a very nice gen3 with 153k. He didn't seem to care that he could have asked for (and got) another 1000 or more... worked for me!

Steve

·
'03 Diamante
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well... scratch that idea now. My girl and broke up for good today. We've been fighting back and forth for months. I went to work this morning at 5am and when I got home most of her stuff was gone. She bounced out leaving me with a $150 cable bill, $68 electric bill, $160 phone bill, and I'm stuck paying $480 a month until November because I'm stuck in a lease.... not to mention I sold her a car when we first got together for $1500... she has given me to date $700 on it. She hasn't made a payment in over a year!!! I can't repo it though because she's pretty much threatened my life if I do.

Thanks for the help guys but it seems like I won't be needing a second car anymore anyways...

·
Diablo
05 Altima SER+93 Cam
353 Posts
Good luck on your search.. I got my 93 for $740 and it runs excellent !! I wouldnt mind a v6 5sp 3rd gen though :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts