Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My wife and I have owned 2 corollas now, and are thinking of buying a Scion xD. We have test driven one and think that it will be an outstanding car. The only 3 negatives that I have heard about is the uncomfortable seats (i thought they were alright), no center arm rest and strange tire size. Anything else we should know or an option that we must have before buying? Thanks!

S

·
2,657 Posts
Strange tire size can be overcome by switching to a 205-55R16. center armrest ,I didn't have one for years and never noticed, and seats, to each his own.

It's a great little car for what you pay.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks HnF, for the tire tip. Long story short, we took home a 2010 Magnetic-Grey Scion xD last night.
Im not a huge fan that the driving lights dont turn on and off by themselves (first time I had driven it at night). Our 2000 corolla turns the headlights on and off by itself based on lighting conditions. Even our 1995 corolla turns the lights off by itself when you open the door after turning off the car. Overall though, probably the cheapest toyota car you can buy besides the Yaris (which is almost as expensive as a corolla for some reason), outstanding motor and hopefully long lasting quality.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We've owned the xD for a year now and it has been awesome!

I would recommend purchasing the OEM mud flaps if you live in a snowy climate. Living in the midwest, we get a lot of snow. Last winter all this snow seemed to get caught under the xD (prob cause it has larger tires and rides sort of low) which has never been much of a problem with the two corollas that we have owned.

Other than that, the past 22k miles have been amazing!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2+ Years of Awesomeness!

We have had the Scion xD for 43k problem free miles. The magnetic grey color does show every little scratch, so I think if we were to do it over again, we would get the silver (possibly white). Also, the tires have a slight cupping wear on them, but I know that the tires from the dealership are not the best. We plan to replace them before winter. The car also has a deceptively large storage capability with the rear seat folded down. We used it to move everything except large furniture out of our last appt. Overall we are very happy with our purchase!

·
Registered
183 Posts
We only have 20000 kms on the machine so far. The colour of ours is the magnetic grey as well and it shows every scratch. It has been awesome so far. Does not seem uncomfortable on a long drive. I would suggest getting a rear bumper guard/cover from one of the aftermarket suppliers to protect the bumper from scratches

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 years of ownership update

Its been 3 trouble free years with our Scion (I would expect no less from a Toyota). We are at ~59k miles on the vehicle and couldn't be happier. We replaced the Bridgestone Turanza tires that came with the vehicle new at about 53k miles! I was so happy with that mileage that we bought the exact same tires again.

Our family as grown (+1) and we are really glad we bought the 4 door and not the TC. Plenty of room for a baby, diaper bag and stroller. Overnight stays for the 3 of us is cramped but doable. I would recommend this car to anyone.

·
11,328 Posts
Is this a really roomy car, say along the lines of the Matrix? Is the headroom sufficient for a tall to very tall person? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car has more room than it appears from the outside (remember that it is a subcompact hatchback). The front and rear seats have approximately equal room as that of the matrix from what I remember (test drove it 3+ years ago though). The back hatch in the Matrix has more space/storage.

When sitting in the back seat of the xD my head practically touches the ceiling (I am only 5'9"). There's plenty of clearance in the front though. I would suggest a test drive to confirm if you will have enough head clearance.

·
11,328 Posts
The car has more room than it appears from the outside (remember that it is a subcompact hatchback). The front and rear seats have approximately equal room as that of the matrix from what I remember (test drove it 3+ years ago though). The back hatch in the Matrix has more space/storage.

When sitting in the back seat of the xD my head practically touches the ceiling (I am only 5'9"). There's plenty of clearance in the front though. I would suggest a test drive to confirm if you will have enough head clearance.

Thank you. That is a big help. It is looking more and more like the choice will be the XB (want the room front and back). Though 3 years back would be a 2010 model? Weren't there differences between the 2008 and 2010 models, one being the engine oil used?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 Year Update:

We have 96k miles on the XD and have had zero problems. A few lights have needed replacement in the last 3 months but that's to be expected every 5 years. This weekend I am going to take a look at the front pads and test the battery to make sure we are doing Ok. Almost ready to buy a third set of Bridgestones but we are going to wait till the snow flies. We have taken the XD on a few 300-500 mile round trip adventures and felt comfortable the whole way. Plenty of storage for just the 2-3 of us. I love the radio in this car compared to our old corollas. Best of all it is PAID OFF!

The car has held up extremely well. The interior still looks new, nothing has broken or worn out. The outside of the car has a few door dings but what do you expect when the wife is the primary driver. No rust or chipped paint. We did have the 3M clear protector placed on the hood when it was new and that is also still holding up. Too bad they are going to stop making these beauties.

·
2,657 Posts
Wow..5 years already. Time is flying.

Glad to hear all has been going so well for you, the fam, and the D. I like the updates, keep em comming.

Any modifications you've done or thought about doing?

I just got back into a 15 xB myself. Doing all kinds of stupid things to it. LoL. ;)

·
'05 Camry LE 4 cyl.
27 Posts
Have a 2015 auto, two tone, silver top light metallic blue, for just over a year and 10,000 miles. Driving more local streets than freeway. I would say my mileage mix is 30% freeway and 70% streets. Mind you, a mile on local streets takes longer than a mile on the freeway and the engine is on longer and burning gas. I get about 24mpg. Not bad. My wife drives just about that mix as well in a Lexus RX and gets about 13mpg.

Seats 4 comfortably, 5 is a squeeze. Like all hatchback it is very practical. 60/40 split fold down rear seats. I had once carry something like 8 feet long from Home Depot. I tilt the front seat down some and manage to fit.

Engine is a little underpower for my liking. I had a stick before this one that but it is more or less the same. To get it to move on the freeway I shift / override the auto. The gated shifter makes shifting easy. I just pull the stick left to get into 3rd (it has only 4 forward speed,) pull it rearwards to get into 2nd. The engine has power but all 4k rpm and up. I shift at 5k to accelerate routinely.

If you drive like grandma you won't notice the just adequate power.

Like all small cars, the engine drones at freeway speed. Not much one can do since there are not much other choices. It is not a luxury car. Far from it, it is great value for the money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9 year update

I am a little saddened to write that after 9 years we sent the Scion to a new home. After 9 years and 140k trouble free miles it was time to upgrade as the family is growing (2 kids and a dog)... don't worry though as we purchased a 2015 Sienna XLE. The Scion was great... in the end there was some minor rust bubbles on the quarter panels which is typical of MN winter/salt but other than that we only ever invested in oil/tires and a battery. The engine had not started consuming oil and the AC still worked great. I hope the new owner takes care of it as well as we did. Just thought I would update one last time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts