Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys im thinming about moving on from my 92 camry le 165k love her shes been really loyal to me.im looking at 95-99 maximas as my next car.i would like the leather moonroof and the v6 on them.doesn anyone know any tips or informatiuons about them from what ive heard the v6's are great motors.the cars are reliable and fun to mod.please give me any and all info and hints or suggestions thanxx guy youve never let me down yet

·
I HAS BOOST!!!
94 Camry SE V6 Coup
10,728 Posts
^:lol:

im gonna go out on a limb and say this is NOT the place to ask about maximas. i dont think there are alot of people here that know alot about them. ya may want to try a MAXIMA forum.

but i will say, from my experiance, the V6 in the maxima only has power over the 1mzfe. they are not nearly as reliable. but they are reguarded as a sportier cars then the camry especially since you can find the 5 speed model in abundance and they have no 4cyls. if you were thinking of the auto then i wouldnt bother with a maxima they definatly are not as good a car as the camry as far as quality and durability.

·
Radio, this is Unit 91...
1993 Camry LE AT
848 Posts
I have a friend with a 2000 Maxima (same as the 86-99). He loves it, and it has been very durable for him, and it has 170k miles.

One problem some of those VQ engines had were cracked exhaust manifolds. That would be the first thing I'd look for on a potential used Maxima.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would say the biggest difference is going to be ride and handling. Maximas, especially the SE's are a stiff ride. Are you looking for a sportier ride? Than the Maxima does have that over the Camry, even the Camry V-6 SE. The VQ motors are on Wards top ten list of best engines in the world.

I find the Camry is probably a little more reliable and built better, but that all depends on who owned the car before you. The horsepower really went up in 2003 on the Maximas, so you may want to think about that. But as it's been pointed out though, this is a Toyota forum, so maybe pose this question on general forum or a Nissan forum.

Matt

·
[g4.Rep]
1999 Toyota Camry LE
1,591 Posts
im not too sure of the year but dateline had a front end crash test with a maxima where the front driver side wheel was shoved into the cabin right into the driver's leg- as well as the engine shifting the entire dash forward a bit.. so look out for those.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
hi guys im thinming about moving on from my 92 camry le 165k love her shes been really loyal to me.im looking at 95-99 maximas as my next car.i would like the leather moonroof and the v6 on them.doesn anyone know any tips or informatiuons about them from what ive heard the v6's are great motors.the cars are reliable and fun to mod.please give me any and all info and hints or suggestions thanxx guy youve never let me down yet

Go here to the 4th gen Maxima Forum.

http://forums.maxima.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6

The VQ30DE engines are wonderful and probably the best thing about the car. The worst part about it is is the rear suspension where Nissan cheaped out and put a solid axle in the back. Still handles OK, but that's about it.

I also own a 1992 Maxima.

·
2000 Cadillac Seville STS
Cadillac Seville STS
451 Posts
If the Maxima is anything like the Altima of that era... I would be scared. My aunt had a '93 Altima GXE and it was a nightmare. It managed to make it to 185k miles and it looked like hell. Between the leaky sunroof, crappy A/C, bad clutch, and horrible suspension problems it just wasn't a good car. The most unreliable car she's had to date, and thats including a '89 Blazer, '00 Explorer XLS and a '04 Explorer XLS along with many others.

·
Radio, this is Unit 91...
1993 Camry LE AT
848 Posts
HAHA!

the only Nissan I would get is a 350Z. Or Infinity G Coupe. Even then, your window might not stay up....:p
I find this HILARIOUS! Once when I was 1,000 miles from home visiting family, my window regulator sh!t out on me (yes, my Camry). A small plastic piece broke off, and the window sunk down into the frame. As a "temp-fix" I used a radiator hose clamp to hold the window up most of the way, but there was still a gap, so I had to seal it with clear packing tape. Mega-lame!

Oh yeah, it's Infiniti....no "y" lol

im not too sure of the year but dateline had a front end crash test with a maxima where the front driver side wheel was shoved into the cabin right into the driver's leg- as well as the engine shifting the entire dash forward a bit.. so look out for those.
Those years were rated "Acceptable" by the IIHS. http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/safety.aspx?year=1999&make=Nissan&model=Maxima

The 3rd gen Camry fares a little bit better, but still has the "Acceptable" rating also.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanx guys for the info now i understand there not as reliable as camrys i dont expect that i dont think any cars are as reliable.i just mean to buy one with 100k-120k mileage and be able to just get in and drive anywhere i need to without being afraid shes gonna break down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts