Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a code P0440 and P0442 (evap system leak) on my 2000 Camry.

I ordered a replacement gas cap even though my current one looks fine.

I also noticed this cracked hose (running vertically in the photo, slightly on the right hand side - vertical crack under the pinchy clip). Could this be related to the problem?

My guess is I should replace it regardless. How would I find this part to purchase online? My knowledge allows me to only search "engine hose thingy" and I don't think that narrows things down sufficiently.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2000 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Never mind, found it: I want to replace this vacuum hose

Fuel vapor hose 23827-74020

Not sure exactly what it does, but sounds related to the problem.

Wondering if I can actually just use a similar-sized vacuum hose, but not sure if most common vacuum hoses degrade from carrying fuel (vapors) or if fuel vapors actually run through this line...

·
Various Toyotas
5,010 Posts
Yes, that looks like the correct hose. I wound up using bulk evap fuel/vapor hose from the auto parts store. It does work, but it doesn't fit well because IIRC the hose has a different inside diameter at each end. The OE Toyota hose will fit perfectly because of this, and it's also molded into the proper shape. The Toyota retail price is pretty high, at $36.20. Maybe you can find it cheaper.

The "pinchy clip" is called a "constant tension clamp", and as you discovered, the "engine hose thingy" is called "fuel vapor hose No.2", BUT...….I much prefer "pinchy clip" and "engine hose thingy", though, and will be using that terminology from now on because it just sounds so much cooler and is just more comfortable to pronounce, so.....thank you! (y)

Reactions: Landshark2000

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,991 Posts
As mention by John, I used a bulk evap fuel/vapor hose. seems like Toyota has a specific size on each end. I can't justify spending $30+ for a short hose that is fairly easy access for future replacement. I got the bulk cut hose to fit without any too much issues on 3 different 5sfe. I rather spend the $30 on other maintenance items.

EDIT: IIRC, I had a evap leak on another car with a cracked hose like that. Replacing the hose cured that code.

·
Registered
2000 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update for anyone else who ever wants to replace this hose. I couldn't find generic tubing that was rated to withstand temperatures for under the hood so I just purchased the original part from a dealer's website. Most were around $25 but shipping varied widely, but I found one site geographically kinda close that shipped for a mere $3-4, so the total with tax and shipping was $30. Ehhhh.

And in case there was any doubt, the inner diameters on both ends are indeed different.

·
Various Toyotas
5,010 Posts
Yep, that's why bulk hose fits really tight at one end. I almost wonder if the OE hose is like that so they force you to buy it from them. Dunno. Anyway, I used bulk hose but can't blame you one bit for using the correct one with exact fitting ends.

Reactions: Landshark2000

·
Registered
2000 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In hindsight, reading over some of these posts again, it makes a lot of sense to buy bulk hose that even if not rated for this temperature, could crack in a year but takes one minute and $0.50 of tubing to replace. 😂

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Update for anyone else who ever wants to replace this hose. I couldn't find generic tubing that was rated to withstand temperatures for under the hood so I just purchased the original part from a dealer's website. Most were around $25 but shipping varied widely, but I found one site geographically kinda close that shipped for a mere $3-4, so the total with tax and shipping was $30. Ehhhh.

And in case there was any doubt, the inner diameters on both ends are indeed different.
View attachment 303355
What site and what’s the part number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2000 Camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts