Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some might recall, I was having problems with the EGR on my 95's 7AFE a while ago and eventually ended up replacing the EGR valve. The CEL hasn't been on for a while now, however the other day it came on again. This being rather annoying, I want to remove the EGR. My question: has anyone done this? What do I need to do? Etc, etc, etc...

·
Registered
398 Posts
hmm. Possibly unplug the egr and reroute the vacuum lines... Haven't tried it on the rolla yet.

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, today sucked. I had been going along fine and then I get the dreaded CEL. Code 71, EGR. Here I am thinking I disconnected everything. Is there anything I might have missed? I disconnected the plugs from the valve on the back of the engine as well as the orange plastic thing with EGR hose going into it as well as clamping off the hoses. Is there something other than those two plugs I needed to unplug and seal off?

·
Premium Member
14,786 Posts
the pcm is not stupid dude, not smart either but not stupid. its going to expect to see a change in the MAP sensor reading when it commands the EGR to be opened. so its going to command the EGR to open and then expect to see the MAP sensor's reading change due to it creating a vacuum leak in the intake. its commanding and not seeing the sensor change, and triggering the code. you should look up the criteria for setting that code, that may help you determine the root of your problem.

did you make sure the passage for the egr was clear? i did a tercel once where the egr was PACKED with carbon at the manifold and inside the head passage. i had to make a tool to clear it from a snippet of steel cable, i turned it like a auger in a drill to clear the carbon out. even had to pull the plug in the head to be able to ream it straight through! check those passages for blockages and check the tube for blocks as well.

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You've got a point, though I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did with those circumstances. I cleaned the passage with some piano wire as well as I could when I cleaned the air intake of all the carbon buildup from the EGR, but this was maybe half a year ago. After seeing what the EGR did to the air intake I'd rather just remove it and was hopefully thinking the ECU would go into no EGR mode when I reconnected the battery after unplugging it. I guess the only way to really do so is with an ECU from a Corolla without EGR... oh well, maybe it's just worth it to live with for a year until I swap the engine for a 4AGE 20v.

·
Premium Member
14,786 Posts
yep, you'd need a non egr pcm to make the egr codes go away.

i'd bank though that you still have a plugged passage in the head. on the tercel head there was a pipe plug in the front near the #4 exhaust that i could take out. the cable i used was about 10 inches long and 1/4 inch thick. chuck it into the drill and spin it in the same direction its wound, it won't tear up the aluminum of the head, don't worry. just go at it, then start the car to blow the loose carbon out, shut it down, and go at it again. keep doing that until it sounds like a lawnmower under your hood from the open exhaust passage!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am having some issues with my EGR valve code as well I got th code 71 and replaced the egr vavle after checking the modulor and the sensor for air flow seemed okay but after replacing the EGR valve the code has come back up again so where should I go from here?

Also when I took the old EGR valve off it has a oil in it? What does this mean?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am having some issues with my EGR valve code as well I got th code 71 and replaced the egr vavle after checking the modulor and the sensor for air flow seemed okay but after replacing the EGR valve the code has come back up again so where should I go from here?

Also when I took the old EGR valve off it has a oil in it? What does this mean?

Thanks,
Scott
I actually ended up finally fixing my EGR issue (the check engine light says so) by taking off the EGR valve, removing the intake plenum, and spraying the EGR passages through the head and the one in the intake manifold with an entire can of throttle body cleaner (removing enough of the 14 years of built up carbon to get things flowing satisfactorily at least). As for oil in your EGR, it could be engine oil blow off from the PCV valve that worked its way down or perhaps something condensing from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
14,786 Posts
oh you still have shit in there. get a length of 3/16th inch steel cable and cut a 1 foot length. chuck it up in the drill and spin the drill in the direction opposite the cable is wound. use that as a drill to get the carbon out of the passages. you may need to fray the end a little to get it to scrub the walls of the passages some.

a big tip here, get some nitrile gloves and some axle grease, grease your hand up REALLY good so you can hold and guide the cable. on the 4efe theres a plug in the head to clean the passage out next to the exhaust manifold, not sure about the 4afe.

·
Official TN Toaster
2000 Celica GT-S
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually found a large wire pipe cleaner like device in my garage I was about to use, but I had some misbehaving bolts hinder that method, so I decided on chemical warfare. At this point I'm happy enough that the CEL is staying off, but if I've got a spare weekend I'm definitely going to give actually cleaning the passage out another shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts