Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a minor spark knock/rattle issue over the past 5k miles or so with my truck. Mostly centered around 3k rpms, but on the highway at times it was doing it CONSTANTLY under little to no accelleration. Began to worry me...I have been running 93 octane fuel for a least 2 months to try to combat this. It has run really well with plenty of power, but had that constant niggling knock right around 3k. If I accellerated foot to the floor in 1st gear from a dead stop, it would knock pretty heavily all the way to 5k rpms. But when I lugged it all the way down to 1500 rpms in any gear it just pulled on thru, no drama.

ANYWAY, I checked my radiator last night when I got gas and noticed the top was cool. I thought to myself "gee, must be low on coolant" and popped the top. A LOT of air, then a little bit of coolant spit out. So, I bought a gallon of coolant and added ALMOST THE ENTIRE GALLON to the system.

Keep in mind all this time that the temp guage has NEVER read anything other than center of the dial, as it always has.

Now the weird part--NO MORE SPARK KNOCK! :eek: :wtf:

I mean, it's gone ENTIRELY! Truck is running great. Can someone explain this to me??!!!???:confused:

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
All I can say is it's a Toyota....which continues to run like a rock even in severe conditions..i.e. no oil or no coolant.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Did the temp gauge move at all? It certainly sounds like it was running a little hot since it went away with the addition of the coolant.

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maxpower_hd said:
Did the temp gauge move at all? It certainly sounds like it was running a little hot since it went away with the addition of the coolant.
that's what I thought; but I know the guage works, and it's always run exactly where it has been sitting for the past 7 years. Maybe some sort of localized upper head overheating??:eek:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I don't know. I've never heard of localized heating before. But if it went away with the coolant, it's only thing that makes any sense at all. Unless someone else has some suggestion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts