Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure many of you have seen them, or at least heard of them, but I'm looking into rigging a switch that allows me to operate my reverse lights manually. I got the idea at a car show over the weekend- a '68 Mustang rolled in with his reverse lights on, and my dad explained that back in the day the truly badass rides had that, and they were controlled by custom-made switches (done by the owner of course)... it's a little like the '70s equivalent of neons.

I figure if I can do the same thing to my car, it would be the safest way to get rid of tailgaters short of brakechecking or speeding up. Think about it from the tailgater's point of view- you're 3' behind a guy at 45 mph only to see his reverse lights go on. You would have the shit scared out of you!

Is that possible? i don't see how it couldn't be, btw the car in question is a '95 Camry 5-speed.

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did a quick search and this is what I found:

"Hey all been out of town for a while...
So sorry for the delay in answering questions! See below for a description of what each kit does.
Info for the pricing of CoolKits like the CIBS, Reverse light and fuse block kits will be posted soon on NOR. All kits will be sold through that site as they will have the ability to take payment. Currently only the CIBS kit will be sold directly by me. I have answered some email directly lately but if I missed you I will respond!

Also if you have a need that's not covered by one of these kits, email me I can custom design any combination of switchs and relays.

CoolKits List

CoolKit #1:CIBS Clutch Interlock Bypass Switch

Basic unit: $39.00 Includes all black switch and red LED.

Options for CIBS

1. LEDS are available in the following other colors: Orange, Yellow, Green at no extra charge.
Just specify when you order.

2. Other LED Colors are blue and white. $3.00 extra. Total would be $37.95

3, Flashing LED (Red ONLY!) flashes once per second $3.00 extra Total would be $37.95
when CIBS is activated till you turn the truck off.

4. Bi-color LED (Red/Green)
Green on with key then Red when CIBS is activated
till you turn the truck off. $6.00 extra Total would be $40.95

5. I also have a black body switch that has a red button instead of black at no extra charge.
Just specify it when you order.

6. IF you have a switch you would prefer to use I would need to know what kind of connectors are on the switch so I can supply you with the correct ones. $3.00 deduction from totals above

CoolKit #2:BalRik Reverse Light Kit

Basic Kit

Includes the relay assembly with replaceable relay, direct to battery wiring harness
with Fuse holder with 2 15 amp fuses, splice tap to tap into brake light
wiring, and detailed instructions. This kit basically lets you turn on up to 110watts of lights (2 55 watt lights) automatically from a reverse light switch triggered relay. When you put your trans in reverse the relay is triggered by your transmission switch and the auxiliary light(s) comes on.

Install time: 2 hours

Deluxe Kit

Includes dual relay assembly with two replaceable relays, direct to battery wiring harness with Fuse holder and two 15 Amp fuses, switch cable assembly (for wiring switch to relay assembly)

Manuals or Automatics: Dash mounted black nylon paddle switch. When the switch is in manual position the auxilliary reverse lights come on regardless of key or trans position, in the Auto position the auxilliary reverse lights come on whenever the trans is placed in reverse. In the Off position the auxilliary reverse lights are off. (This meets Canadian requirements.)

Options:AUTOMATICS ONLY: Shift Console mounted Switch Bank
with 2 light Black or Red toggle switch. When the switch is in MANUAL position the large red light on the switch comes on and the auxiliary reverse lights come on regardless of key or trans position. When the switch is in AUTO position the small red light on the switch comes on and the auxilliary reverse lights are turned on any time the trans is in reverse. When the switch is in the OFF position the auxiliary lights never come on. (This meets Canadian requirements.) Includes one 2 light switch body, one 2 light switch acuator (choose black or red), and one switch bezel. Add CoolKit #3 to get all three switches!

Install time: 3-4 hours depending on switch choice.

CoolKit #3: Switch Bank Kit for Automatics Only (Working on one for manuals!)

Basic Kit

Using this kit you can switch 3 seperate devices off and on. Common uses would be one switch for your front aux. lights, one for the Reverse light kit, and one for the CIBS kit. Includes three switch bodys, three light switch acuators (choose black or red), two switch bezel end pieces, and 1 switch bezel center piece. Switch choices include SPST, SPDT,DPDT, lit and unlit.

email [email protected] for help in selecting switches.

Options: Relays to switch hight current devices can be added. Contact me with you requirements. This kit can be combined with any of the other kits for a complete package.

CoolKit #4: Under Hood 100 Amp Auxilliary Fuse Block Kit

Basic Kit
Includes a 6 Circuit 100 AMP ATC Fuse Block with 2 10 amp fuses, 2 15 amp fuses, 1 20 Amp fuse, and 1 30 amp fuse. This is connectecd to a 100 Amp circuit breaker via a heavy cable which is terminated with a ring terminal for direct connection to the + battery terminal.

Delux Kit
Includes a 10 Circuit 100 AMP ATC Fuse Block with grounding terminals. Includes 2 10 amp fuses, 2 15 amp fuses, 1 20 Amp fuse, and 1 30 amp fuse. This is connectecd to a 100 Amp circuit breaker via a heavy cable which is terminated with a ring terminal for direct connection to the + battery terminal.

With all kits the wires are cut to size (enough extra for routing), pre-terminated with all connectors, and labeled so you know where they go and what they are next year! To install requires a few simple tools and may require the removal of some inside body panels."

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kick-ass! I never would have assumed there was a thread about this, hence my post... just never thought to do a search... thanks dude

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
HAHA I can see it now. People slamming one their brakes or quicly changing lanes.:lol:

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
Ive always wanted to install some high power fog lights or something in the rear so that i could hit a switch and get those assholes to back off, but im lazy and havent done it yet.

·
5M-GE
2,901 Posts
I'll stick to Cressida headlight washers...

... adjusting them right and activating at highway speeds results in a nice steam heading right over your car and onto whoever's tailing your ass :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
87Camry5Speed said:
Kick-ass! I never would have assumed there was a thread about this, hence my post... just never thought to do a search... thanks dude
No problem. I searched "Manual Reverse Lights" on google.

~Shawn

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
My dad's gen5 taillights were altered initially to make himself more visible from behind in poor weather. All the bulbs are dual filament. One set (pair) is manually controlled. If this doesn't make sense to you, just imagine a "foglight" inside your taillights. Here's are the various states the lights go through;

Normal with parking and headlights on...all the rear lights are lit (one filament) except the 3rd brake light.
o....0....o
O........O

Normal braking
o....0....o
O........O

braking with rear "foglights" on
o....0....o
O........O

Not braking, rear "foglight" switched on to deter tailgaters
o....0....o
O........O

Anybody can rig up their car like this provided there are 4 rear bulbs.

·
Registered
529 Posts
repinS said:
I'll stick to Cressida headlight washers...

... adjusting them right and activating at highway speeds results in a nice steam heading right over your car and onto whoever's tailing your ass :)
I'll admit, when I'm in a hurry I will tailgate people.

I've had someone do this to me and I just turned on my windshield wipers and stayed right where I was. A little washer fluid never hurt anything.
Also, the reverse light idea. Any moron with half a brain knows that you can't put a car into reverse while you're going 45 or whatever speed. Cool idea, but it wouldn't do much for me.

If you've got nowhere to go (like traffic), I can see why you might be irritated. Other than that, move over and let the guy pass. That's the best way to solve the tailgating problem.

·
pseudo-systematic
176 Posts
i rigged a switch up on my '88 SAAB to control the reverse lights manually. when people tailgated me, or were behind me with their hi-beams on, i flashed 'em to show the err of their ways. it was pretty badass. i got a cheap rocker switch with a blue led on it from auto zone, wired it into the reverse lite switch in the shift box, and there ya go!

·
Street-Cruiser
458 Posts
My friend did the same thing, and tried it on me before telling me..... Good idea, but I realized since his car is auto, that there was no way he actually had it in reverse.

Question: With manuals, if you are going say 40ish, and you push in the clutch totally and put it in reverse, without letting off the clutch, it should not do anything other than put your taillights on, right? With mine, it won't let you put it into reverse, even with the clutch in, and if you force it in(i did it on accident a while ago) it has a horrible grinding noise, as if the clutch isn't fully engaged. the clutch is fine, but shouldn't it be able to go into reverse with the clutch in?

·
poor college student
1,368 Posts
I just stop in the middle of the road and get out of my car. That usually scares the tailgaters pretty bad. :cool:

·
A Lone Wolf
98 Posts
i would just rig the brake lights up by a switch, its funny when you do brake check someone, you see their car go back and forth, lol.

·
F'ing 3sgte swap ARGH!!!!
Celica 6th Gen Convt
808 Posts
yeah, a brake light rig would be more effective.

·
my name isn't really Bob
Solara
1,887 Posts
Ostornadoe said:

Question: With manuals, if you are going say 40ish, and you push in the clutch totally and put it in reverse, without letting off the clutch, it should not do anything other than put your taillights on, right? With mine, it won't let you put it into reverse, even with the clutch in, and if you force it in(i did it on accident a while ago) it has a horrible grinding noise, as if the clutch isn't fully engaged. the clutch is fine, but shouldn't it be able to go into reverse with the clutch in?

ya its so stupid peolple can't put it in reverse with any speed at all. even if the car is rolling forward a bit it makes the nasty grinding sound

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Ostornadoe

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya its so stupid peolple can't put it in reverse with any speed at all. even if the car is rolling forward a bit it makes the nasty grinding sound

NO! Unless you want a new trans Do Not Do That!!!
We are not actually throwing our cars into reverse at speed. We are simply rigging a switch that allows us to manually control the backup kights regardless of what gear you are in!

To scare the shit out of people!

Steve

1 - 20 of 55 Posts