Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i'm not much of a toyota guy, in that I don't follow the models that closely. I drive a '96 Camry, and I love it, but I don't care for any of the new 'yota models.

Anyway, a couple days ago I did an alignment on probably the coolest little Toyota i've ever seen. It was a 1983 Tercel wagon, 4 wheel drive. It had a 5-speed, but also had some gear that I didn't recognize on the shift pattern, far left and up from neutral. It had the normal 5-speed H, then another... I assume it was something to do with the 4x4, because the selector on the ground didn't have a 4-wheel drive low setting. I couldn't make out the symbol because after 230k miles, it was worn off. All i saw was a little orange mark connected to the other gears...

What really got me about this car is that it has a solid rear axle. I'd never seen a car that small with a solid rear axle...

Long story short, I want one of those little guys now. Are they that rare? Because that's the first one i've ever seen, but then I already said I don't follow Toyotas that closely.

Seriously though, a 4x4 Tercel would make an awesome dirt track car if the engine was beefed up a little :D

·
Registered
Paseo
782 Posts
hehe, sounds like you beat up a couple blazers/jeep/what have you in your day. LOL I dont think they are super rare. i only have seen 4 or so in my life but its not like i really have been looking.

·
Registered
94 Tercel
82 Posts
I see on all over... actually if you look on craigslist they are pretty cheap... sometimes free. Tranny can't handle much power. So if you did pick one up don't higher than a 4a-g in it. So I take it the corolla all-tracs don't have a solid rear axle to ya?

·
Registered
EL44 Paseo
75 Posts
didn't all the RWD toyota's from the 80's and older have solid rear axle? My ae86 (RIP) had it, an 84 wagon had it, and i believe the celicas did as well. not sure about the supra (MKII and below).

anyhow, yea, i wouldn't imagine the 4wd tercel wagon handling more than 120whp stock (maybe even less). but that's still more than enough for such a small car.

·
Registered
1986 Camry
476 Posts
I used to have a 4wd wagon, it really need to have the manual, mine was auto, it was terribly slow and gutless. As far as I know the alltrac (4wd) Corolla & Camry used a solid rear axle, along with Celica, except the last rwd model GT-S which was independent rear suspention. I think the supra used the same setup. I think the 90+ Celica all tracs are irs too, but that I'm sot too sure of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts